Strategy to learn

H

harjukki

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've played poker on/off for many years but I have been a losing player. This time I'm trying to chance that and need some input to my learning strategy.

1. Read about poker (blogs, guides etc.)
2. Watch hand analysis from similar stakes I'm playing
3. Grind micro stakes without trying to be tricky
4. Pick some big/interesting hands from my games and analyze first by myself and then with my friends who actually know how to play.

Anything to add?

AllenKll

AllenKll

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe something that some people miss is picking one game and sticking with it until you're profitable.

So, cash games or tournaments?
Holdem or Omaha?
6-max or big table?

All of these variations require some change in strategy and extra thought.

Also, I would recommend getting some hand analysis software. Once you've got 40k hands or so, run some reports and look at where you might have leaks. Ask yourself questions about the trends the data shows.
Do I defend the BB enough?
Do I play position Properly?
Do I fold from C-bets too often?
Do I overbet the flop?
Do I underbet the flop?
etc.

One final thought. bankroll management. Many people put this off until they are a 'winning player' or 'have more experience' This is crucial especially when youre' trying to improve your game. You need to know how you're doing, and when you should advance or retard your progress.

H

harjukki

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe something that some people miss is picking one game and sticking with it until you're profitable.

So, cash games or tournaments?
Holdem or Omaha?
6-max or big table?

All of these variations require some change in strategy and extra thought.

Also, I would recommend getting some hand analysis software. Once you've got 40k hands or so, run some reports and look at where you might have leaks. Ask yourself questions about the trends the data shows.
Do I defend the BB enough?
Do I play position Properly?
Do I fold from C-bets too often?
Do I overbet the flop?
Do I underbet the flop?
etc.

One final thought. Bankroll management. Many people put this off until they are a 'winning player' or 'have more experience' This is crucial especially when youre' trying to improve your game. You need to know how you're doing, and when you should advance or retard your progress.

Very helpful info! I should have specified that I'm only focusing on holdem NL full ring cash games, at micro stakes at first. Will definitely be getting a hand analyzer when I get enough hands under belt! As for bankroll I'm currently sitting at approx 30 buy-ins which is okayish I guess.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I always thought training videos helped me the most and the second best method for me was reviewing my hands. Reviewing hands is pretty easy in HM2 using SNGwiz and adjusting the villans ranges.

Bleeis

Bleeis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1 watch youtube o twich
2 study the spots (example, 3bets ip, oop, multiways)
3 always play poker after study
4 specialize, don't study a bit of everything
5 focus and set goals
6 review your hands

nicuchico

nicuchico

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've played poker on/off for many years but I have been a losing player. This time I'm trying to chance that and need some input to my learning strategy.

1. Read about poker (blogs, guides etc.)
2. Watch hand analysis from similar stakes I'm playing
3. Grind micro stakes without trying to be tricky
4. Pick some big/interesting hands from my games and analyze first by myself and then with my friends who actually know how to play.

Anything to add?
find a good coach

houcineben10

houcineben10

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Also play your opponnent by looking at their games on the table.

Eric Salvador

Eric Salvador

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pay for coaching. Things like red chip poker have where you can pay $5 a week. Some are $20 a month. Get some kind of additional coaching