Strategy

C

coolcukes

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have been reading the poker strategy section and boy I have a lot to learn. Understanding poker odds is just to complex for me, I can't understand them. Is there somewhere online I can go that has these odds explained for "dummies". Is it necessary to understand the odds before learning what starting hand you should play?

C

coolcukes

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just want to add I did read the "odds for Dummies' in the forum but I am stilled confused. thanks

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it is your position and stack that define the starting hands you need to play. here is the hand of depard hand with which you have to raise according to your position:

utg-306556.jpg

mp-813527.jpg

co-opening-range-602251.jpg

otb-opening-range-567673.jpg

Erpherk

Erpherk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Alright if you want to calculate your odds, you give yourself 4% equity for each out you have. so if you have AK vs QQ you have 6 outs so 4%x6. you can apply this to every hand. I think this is the info you are looking for.

A

akufto

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
An out is a card that completes your combination. One way to evaluate the pot odds is the “multiplication rule by two”, in which we multiply outs by two,

C

coolcukes

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the replies folks. I have been playing cash games lately and with the hands I have been having I should be up quite a bit of money. Since my betting is terrible I only make a couple of dollars. Today I made $5. I am upset - they either know me or in cash games they wait for optimal hands. I tried following the chart on this site and the one someone sent to me and no luck to get people to call my hands - needless to say I am frustrated. I am going to check out cardplayer.,com and see what I can learn. If anyone has suggestions - I am all ears.

A

AJantwan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is it necessary to understand the odds before learning what starting hand you should play?

Not at all. At least not if you're the first one to bet into the pot. At that point there really aren't any odds to consider. (Technically not true given the blinds, and antes change things too.)

Even if you're not the first in, odds don't play a huge role -- you can learn what to raise with without taking into consideration odds very much. The only time I really think about odds pre-flop is if I've set mining on a hand. I need the opponent to have a decent stack size. Set mining against someone with a 3BB stack is pointless since you're not getting the odds you need. You can make a similar argument for suited connectors, but in general, no, you don't need to understand odds much for pre-flop play.

K

kbolding7

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Any content that Jonathan Little produces is where I would go, I do not think there is anyone better than him for a new player.

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
I recommend that you first play with strong cards and use your position at the table. With experience, you will have an understanding and you will be able to play with a bigger range.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker Odds and Shooting Pool.

I have been reading the poker strategy section and boy I have a lot to learn. Understanding poker odds is just to complex for me, I can't understand them. Is there somewhere online I can go that has these odds explained for "dummies". Is it necessary to understand the odds before learning what starting hand you should play?

Thanks for posting.
The advantage of cardchat is you can ask specific questions and get them answered.
So feel free to be more specific about what you do not understand.

Pot odds relates to how likely you will win if you stay in to see all the cards.

If you have Ah2h and go all in preflop vs AA you will win only 11% of the time. So you will win once in ten times this exact situation happens.

So your odds are 1 in 10.

If you have Ah2h and your opponent has KsKc
You have 33% equity or a 1 out of every 3 times you both go all in preflop chance to win.

Odds are 1-3.

How does this apply to Shooting Pool. When you are looking at what shot you are going to take next you estimate the difficulty of each shot and decide which shot to take.

Poker odds does that for you. From the above, which situation would you put all your money on?

1-10 or 1-3?

Hope this helps.

If you "Quote and Post" your reply I will be notified and can respond further.

:):)

limas

limas

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it is your position and stack that define the starting hands you need to play. here is the hand of depard hand with which you have to raise according to your position:

utg-306556.jpg

mp-813527.jpg

co-opening-range-602251.jpg

otb-opening-range-567673.jpg
What colours means? I should raise yellow, call red and drop off grey?

S

serg521

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If you want to know how to make money on online poker, first learn some methods and rules of the game:hmmmm2:
Also evaluate your strength and try to play first without money (you do have an opportunity here)
After which you can go to the game for money. Practice, practice, practice... Players who want to get real wins need to constantly improve skills. I recommend not to chase after money and to think. :hmmmm:
Everything, of course, depends on you and your tactics.
What do you need? Game mode Do not be zealous and do not sit for days. Have a rest. Control👍 Lost control of the game? Turn off the slot and switch your attention to another kind of activity. For example - wife or a football💪 Rates Choose the option that will allow you to stay in the game for a long time without dropping entire deposit. Although, again, if you already have experience - you can send this method to hell. Dispersion Make sure you understand the essence of the variance and do not be discouraged by short-term unsuccessful results. Training You need to constantly study the game, read how professional poker players play and get acquainted with the specifics of poker. Just kick!

frnandoh

frnandoh

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
1 - Just put money after you have learned how to beat the level you pretend to play, you can make some tests sometimes but I recommend you play freerolls and centrolls.
2 - know the most propabilities as much as possible, learn expected value, size bet, pot and implied odds, reverse implied odds, ranges, fold equity.

Tenek26

Tenek26

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have been reading the poker strategy section and boy I have a lot to learn. Understanding poker odds is just to complex for me, I can't understand them. Is there somewhere online I can go that has these odds explained for "dummies".

If the topic is still relevant, I can recommend Roy Rounder’s book “Poker in Mathematics Has Become Easier”. This is a very short, but informative book that I read 2 years ago when I first started playing in poker rooms. At the end of the book there is a table with the theory of probability, just what you are looking for. But, as is known, the random number generator has its own theory of probability, haha.

C

coolcukes

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
strategy

If the topic is still relevant, I can recommend Roy Rounder’s book “Poker in Mathematics Has Become Easier”. This is a very short, but informative book that I read 2 years ago when I first started playing in poker rooms. At the end of the book there is a table with the theory of probability, just what you are looking for. But, as is known, the random number generator has its own theory of probability, haha.

Hi, thanks for your reply - it is still very relevant - I will look into it. On another note have you heard of "HUD"? It sounds like some kind of calculator (for lack of better words). I have read about it at 2 different sites but still don't understand what it is - just that the site say it will help you read your opponent better and to get it. Can you advise?

Tenek26

Tenek26

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Can you advise?

I'm glad I helped you :)

HUD - Heads Up Display. This is a special program that allows you to display additional information about your opponents.
Thanks to her help, you can see the approximate range of the hands of your opponents, find out how often they bluff, can you bluff against them. Generally speaking, the program gives advantages in the game, and experienced players begin to exploit beginners. If you do not use HUD, then you lose a lot. (my opinion)

dragunovich

dragunovich

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
when u improve your game postflop u r improving all your game so, u r going to win to much pots.. u r going to dominate to weak players and will to understand to much how is the winner way..