Strategies on building a quick chip lead?

mickathyus

mickathyus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always get about half way through tournaments, them get bullied by big pots. It would be awesome to get some ideas on how to build a demanding chip lead within about five blinds.:)

G

gichka97

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you should not think about this. To be the cheap leader early in the tournament is not the best thing. Most of the winners in tournaments, come up to the first place not being a chip leader during the whole time. I think it is better to focus on how you are playing the hands, instead of that to think how fast you can be cheap lead or increase your stack immediately. You should be cheap leader when the tournament is going to finish, not when is playing. It does not matter that you were cheap leader in the first hour of some tournament and you were eliminated some minutes after that.:)

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Be willing to play for big pots, even if it means putting your stack at risk.

BlackJesus

BlackJesus

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is no such a thing as a "quick chip lead strategy" except for taking insane risks and sometimes paying them off.
There is a strategy, namely, the poker theory that you should stick to, and that's it. The chip stack does not matter as long as you are alive in the tournament.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The chip stack does not matter as long as you are alive in the tournament.
this is just not true at all. stack size matters a ton in mtts because it dictates a lot of your action on every street.

what you do with aces will differ with 100 bbs, 25 bbs, and 5 bbs. what you do do with ace king facing a 3bet pre differs if you're playing 300 bbs effective or 33 bbs effective. stack sizes and stages of an mtt can dictate which players you can apply pressure to, which you can 3bet more often, who you can resteal against, etc.

you stack is a vital part of mtts.

Last edited:
Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
As others have alluded, this kind of mentality is 'putting the cart before the horse'.

The strategy of building up a big stack within five orbits is to get dealt monsters multiple times, get action and win the pots.

Getting dealt AA, KK, QQ and AK multiple times and them holding up is out of our control. If it happens early on, great. If it doesn't, no problem.

This isn't to say that we can only win pots/chips with monsters, of course we can find spots to acquire chips with premium cards (and less) but in MTT's it's advisable not to get too carried away (especially during early stages) when light.

Asides getting dealt big hands multiple times the other technique is to be confident, be aggressive and get the ball rolling. Build pots and then win them. You need to have a strong post-flop game and a little luck doesn't hurt (i.e. it involves risk*).

this is just not true at all. stack size matters a ton in mtts because it because dictates a lot of your action.

what you do with aces will differ with 100 bbs, 25 bbs, and 5 bbs. what you do do with ace king facing a 3bet pre differs if you're playing 300 bbs effective or 33 bbs effective. stack sizes and stages of an mtt can dictate which players you can apply pressure to, which you can 3bet more often, who you can resteal against, etc.

you stack is a vital part of mtts.

I think the point was 'survival > stack size', which in MTT setting, I can understand.

*Arguably, unnecessary risk, situation dependent.

Last edited:
S

Scroooob

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always get about half way through tournaments, them get bullied by big pots. It would be awesome to get some ideas on how to build a demanding chip lead within about five blinds.:)

The idea is simple, but most players are not crazy enough to try. You must go all in within the first couple levels, and win multi way pots.
Don't be afraid if someone builds a giant stack early. Play your game.