Steaming my stack away

W

Windmills

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey crew,just been having some real problems holding on to my big stack in MTTs.
Time after time I get myself into a commanding position as chip leader or in the top 5,only to blow it and often not even cash or only min cash.This steaming of my stack away probaly happens 9 out of 10 times that i get in the chip lead,just struggle to play the big stack.I feel I play good controlled poker to get the stack but something changes in my mindset once i have the chip lead.
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

M

makrarom

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can afford to play more hands, as your chip stack rises. But you should also play them carefully, don't just call every hand and stop observing the table because you are the chip leader and you might feel like you're floating or something. Or you can keep playing the way you have been playing, ask yourself if you had 1000 chips less or more, would you play this hand etc. if you are worried about your style of play, as your stack gets bigger.

Senneville

Senneville

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In this situation I and its my opinion, I play more in late position with a strong hand or very strong hand only. don't go in the pot with A9 to A2. Don't forget other player have chip at this point and can hurt you badly at the end. Just take a deap breath and analyse the type of player you are to enter with. I don't go too much if a loose player call a raise. And don't forget the raise mean something in early position. Maybe a AQ is no good at this point. Thats depend on your position and the other player. I'm trying to remember all experience I have in my poker game. Just stay focus and have fun.

thaysen13

thaysen13

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It often gets critical when you only have less than 10BB left. The problem is that if you play against big stacks on your table that they will call a BB or a raise (that is high in comparison to your stack) because they at first have not that bad hand, want to see the flop and third try to bust you. <br />
<br />
You simply were too late to rescue the situation, i think. Perhaps you would have won an earlier pot at 8-9BBs and doubled up... Even if you double up 2BB you are kind of busted anyway... :)

T

Turn7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with Senneville! If your stack raises you can play more hands but you also should play them carefully. Although you have a top5stack you should not play silly hands or make silly calls just because "you have it"! Don't forget to stay thinking how your opponent behaves and what he could have!!!

With your big stack you are in the comfortable position in the game to observe what others are doing. Let them struggle and kicking out each other, you don't have to commit in the fight :D The later your position the better you can observe, as Senneville said...!

T

Turn7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with Senneville! If your stack raises you can play more hands but you also should play them carefully. Although you have a top5stack you should not play silly hands or make silly calls just because "you have it"! Don't forget to stay thinking how your opponent behaves and what he could have!!!

With your big stack you are in the comfortable position in the game to observe what others are doing. Let them struggle and kicking out each other, you don't have to commit in the fight :D The later your position the better you can observe, as Senneville said...!

W

Windmills

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeh thanks i will try and only play premiums and late position and see how it goes,its defiantly a mindset thing for me and because its happening so often now i think i get nervous when im big stack and stop playing optimally.Its so frustrating I consider myself a decent player,this leak in my game in totally killing me though.Just cannot play the big stack for the life of me.

MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Definitely a mindset thing. You have to put your finger on what your big stack paradigm is in order to truly fix this issue. Otherwise you are just guessing at what the solution could be. What is changing in your thinking?

Are you turning into the table bully? Do you assume others must fear and respect you? Do you feel bullet-proof with so many chips? What is going on in your head? Sure a big stack opens up play for you but the prime directive should still be to PROTECT YOUR STACK.

Remember the German player with the COMMANDING wsop Main Event chip lead a few years ago?

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends on where you are in the tournament, but tightening up too much can be your downfall as well. I'd prefer to suggest just sticking to your game - you know, the one that got you to where you are in the first place. If you are 'consistently' getting into a chip leader situation, then you obviously know how to play good poker.

Last edited:
W

Windmills

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for that vid this is 100 percent what i do, one beat and i see my stack is not what it used to be then i go into meltdown mode trying to get back into the chip leader position.Risking more of my chips in questionable positions where i know that im probaly behind but cant help but call.I feel this dudes pain to an extent, but to do it at a main event like that would give me nightmares.Where he has the 88 and newhouse moves all in,hes certain a call is flipping at best could easily be dominated, but takes the gamble to get the chips back.this is exactly how i play in meltdown mode

MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for that vid this is 100 percent what i do, one beat and i see my stack is not what it used to be then i go into meltdown mode trying to get back into the chip leader position.Risking more of my chips in questionable positions where i know that im probaly behind but cant help but call.I feel this dudes pain to an extent, but to do it at a main event like that would give me nightmares.Where he has the 88 and newhouse moves all in,hes certain a call is flipping at best could easily be dominated, but takes the gamble to get the chips back.this is exactly how i play in meltdown mode

Now that you know what you are doing - STOP IT!!!!!!

Remember, you are still going to lose hands, even if you are the almighty chip leader. You still need to wait for hands (and one of the fantastic edges the chip leader has is he can afford to be patient more than anyone), you still need to protect your stack. As great as a chip lead is, there is only one chip lead I am concerned about - the one following the very last hand. Now go get 'em champ!

W

Windmills

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on where you are in the tournament, but tightening up too much can be your downfall as well. I'd prefer to suggest just sticking to your game - you know, the one that got you to where you are in the first place. If you are 'consistently' getting into a chip leader situation, then you obviously know how to play good poker.

Thanks for the replys guys, yeh I think this could work also,for some reason I alter my style drastically once i get the chips,like I feel no pressure at all when im just at the bottom concentrating hard, slowly accumulating, watching the players styles,getting the traps set.Then when I get into a healthy spot,the heat goes on,I feel like ive got something to lose now and the pressures on, one beat and i start spewing chips.
This problem with my big stack mindset is compounded during downswings.
Given away so many golden opportunity's this last week, do the hard part then cant finish the job off.
Note-thinking about it more, the real problem is not necessarily how i play my big stack(I can play this ok at times,although improvement is needed)but the big problem is how i spew my chips off if i get a beat when I am big stack.
I think i need to go into the tank and figure this one out,maybe pick apart my game a bit more cause this leak that ive tried so hard to fix is costing me big time.

darkelf1

darkelf1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sometimes , if i make Big Stack at mtt 3-4 x all in, i go sitout :D usually i and end up in better place win more money , than i would play it ;D when i lose 35-55 proc. of my stack , i feel tilted , hard to maintain focused . Want just to shove all in , with 72o ... but im trying not to do that , i try not to feel bad when i lose what i won...