Stealing The Pot

slayerupon

slayerupon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When your attempting to steal the pot in button or cutoff are you still playing within range or taking advantage of FS?

Shrops

Shrops

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi

I do it with a fairly wide range of cards. I use it if the opportunity arises.

slayerupon

slayerupon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do it with a fairly wide range of cards. I use it if the opportunity arises.

So a little of both, makes sense. I think this may be the best approach.

H

hooble1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The success of stealing with bad cards is based entirely on the habits of those after you, and how they perceive your table image. Make sure you have a tight image, and/or your opponents are the type to fold too often.

X

xexeu

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes you are right, but if your opponent becomes aggressive, BELIEVE in it. There is no shame in giving up on your attempt to steal the blinds. If the flop comes A83r and your opponent bets the pot, or gives a high check-raise, feel free to drop your KQo. In fact, feel obliged to do so. Stealing blinds is decidedly a strategy of "small pots"; if you're risking your stack in an attempt to steal, you're very screwed. Similarly, if you are stealing with trash (86s or something) and someone gives a re-raise, FALL OUT! Give up immediately, and without hesitation. Do not bother to see what the flop can bring - there is no profit in that.

DeN4iK310882

DeN4iK310882

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Stealing as I understand it is theft of the bank? I use it rarely, but I have to. I do not like it when someone uses it against me and try not to spoil the nerves of other players. Everyone decides for himself whether or not it is worth it.

slayerupon

slayerupon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Styling as I understand it is theft of the bank? I use it rarely, but I have to. I do not like it when someone uses it against me and try not to spoil the nerves of other players. Everyone decides for himself whether or not it is worth it.

Aggressive play is an important part of successful poker playing. Try and think of situations that make you feel uncomfortable. These situations most likely make others uncomfortable as well. Poker isn’t just playing your card it also about exploiting your opponents downfalls.

jerlasvegas

jerlasvegas

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This also depends on whether you are playing a Cash game or a Tournament. In Cash games, I don't know if it is worth it or not. I still need to learn more.

In Tournaments, it's going to be more valuable to do it later in the game. Trying to do it early may not be worth it. But I could be wrong on that as well.

These are a couple things I haven't seen mentioned yet. Hopefully someone can expand on them.

N

notahead

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
have to agree early stages kinda pointless straight steal blinds just don't matter but you need wider range so that can have more combos to make hands in range make your hands less obvious cash seems very pointless to straight up steal with garbage as no blinds antes and the stack size to pot ratio's is very different

EvertonGirl

EvertonGirl

Professional Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
If villains FTS is 67% or more, you can profitably steal, but you do have to take into account how many hands you have on that person for it to really count.

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
from my point of view the art of blind stealing consists of doing it with marginal hands ... because doing it with a strong hand would not be blind theft ... and to do it a blind robbery with marginal hands you must first know how to play your opponents to your left ...!