Stealing the blinds

AndyFio

AndyFio

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How often do you steal the blinds at the dealer's seat and when everyone folds before you? I rarely do this because I prefer a calm style of play.

Last edited:
R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I also rarely do this, but at the last table it should be done more often. Otherwise, the stack will quickly decrease.

V

vittopio

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How often do you steal the blinds at the dealer's seat and when everyone folds before you? I rarely do this because I prefer a calm style of play.
I open 60-80% of the hands from this position ( the blinds are very poorly protected at micro-limits), and if there are nits on the blinds, then I open any two cards!

MAGICUZ

MAGICUZ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I always steal chips if my stack allows, if there is no stack then I sit quietly)

Juan Oro

Juan Oro

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That depends on the size of your stack of chips, but from that position I like to open with hands of suitable connectors when I want to steal the blinds, I also like conservative if the tournament has a good time structure and blinds, but if the tournament It's turbo if I open more from that position to try to steal the blinds.

KozakAlex

KozakAlex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If the players are set up for a calm style of play, then I often steal the blinds, as this helps to stay in the tournament.

D

dorynel7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always steal chips from position buton and cut-off.

Alex Sentsov

Alex Sentsov

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Stealing the blinds is a very important part of poker. This must be done.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
In the past rarely , 1-2 years earlier I started a lot trying to adjust my game to stealing the blinds and generally , now I am trying a lot more , and ofcourse I am trying not to become a victim to others attempts to steal from me . Very nice to see sb failure attempt to stel from me , especially if the bluff was big , particularly if he cost him big and the stage of the game/sat/ttourney was very late , next time we will twice doing this to me :kiss:

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
At the beginning of the tournament, this happens quite rarely, but with increasing blinds - more and more often !!!

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
It's not what make you feel calm when you play poker , it is what will lead you to the victory and the long term profit. Stealing the blinds is a vital part of the game which will allow you to survive and increase your stack size aka your tournament life. Open raise the later positions will lead you to play in position post flop which means you will have information compared to the SB/BB players.

When you are in the later position and with the antes in play you should open a big percentage of your suited holdings and some of the strongest off suit hands. With 40+bbs for example sometimes I open almost all my suited hands.

I have a default RFI (raise first in) range but I don't always follow it by heart. Sometimes I must adapt based on the stage of the tournament , the line up of the players and my stack depth.

For example I won't open raise light if the players in the blinds have a shovable stack etc.

R

romamirr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I often steal the blinds in late position, this is a must. Steeling the blinds from late positions, especially in the later stages of tournaments, is a thing most players do. Some unique players at low limits have a steal value from the cutoff or button close to 100%. Tight poker players do not steal the blinds,
therefore, their rates should be treated with caution.
If you only try to catch stealing players with good hands and always fold with bad ones, then nothing good will come of it. The range of style from late positions is so wide that it includes almost all hands.
I also try to defend the big blind.
Defending against the stealing blinds also needs a wide range to gain a lot of value.

FoxMS

FoxMS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also do this very rarely, only when absolutely necessary. I prefer a game with good cards and do not like to play with junk.

W

woodeng

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not play in the 'big' games, but I know in the small this strategy does not often work -- when you consistently play that strategy the other players just assume you have read 'a book'.

demesquita

demesquita

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never in the early game,
Rarelly during middle game,
About 50% in the late game (2-3 tables left),
And on the FT it will really depen on several other factors... but I'd say a lot ;)