stats to focus on as a beginner

S

sketchv

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I was wondering what stats should I be looking to add to my HUD and manipulating. For example VPIP and PFR, what numbers should I be looking to stay within in a 9 table cash game? I currently have FCB (fold to CBET) on my hud as well.:icon_bigs

S

sarniack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that most important pre-flop stats are VPIP, PFR, 3BET, FV3B and I think that you shouldn't put much more there. When it comes to postflop, I think CBET, FvCBET are enough.

The thing is that while HUDs are great, using HUD can sometimes make players think about situation on the table too little. I've been there and I sometimes try play without HUD, to learn read the situation instead of just looking at the stats. I know that I loose some advantage, but when I play for the sake of learning and not grinding, money is less important here. And I would advice you to do the same :).

You shouldn't be looking to put much more stats until you are confident that you use basic stats correctly. Otherwise it will be more confusing than helpful.

When it comes to table selection, you should be looking for (in that order):
  • Relatively high average number of players on the flop, because it means that table is loose,
  • High average pot size, which may indicate loose / passive players,
  • Tables with lower number of hands per hour, because it may indicate that there are less grinders, more recreational players.

There is great book that covers all that subjects and what is probably more important, how to exploit bad poker players based on their HUD stats: Fundamentals of Exploitative Online Poker.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
VPIP - voluntary put $ in pot
PFR - preflop raise
AggFactor - aggression factor, its kinda like a lie detector

VPIP and PFR become meaningful stats rather quickly, while AggFactor will take a lot of hands to become significant.