Can someone explain the math here? I’m reading a article on Position and the numbers

Brandlad

Brandlad

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The article shows how much money we can loose based upon the position we choose to play.

Though the hand at Early Position was played very badly as there is no way to call a raise honoured by two players as in a worst case scenario we can easily put an opponant on a set. Hence a fold is good.

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think he's saying is that if you add up the amount you've put in the pot before you fold, it's $162 in the first example ($12 preflop and $150 at the flop), and only $40 in the second example (all pre-flop).

While I like the way the author does these examples, I think it would be a mistake to raise to $150 at the flop in the first hand and then fold facing a shove. Considering the pot is huge at that point, and nobody reraised pre-flop making it less likely they have JJ/QQ/AK, I would shove over the raise to $60 with how much is already in the middle.

CptRunBad

CptRunBad

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The gist of the article is explaining how it is much more profitable to play hands in position.

R

rigor mortis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why slow play AA. I would have gone all in preflop in both cases. Better to die like a bull than a cow