The size of your River Bet

C

ChuckNola

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It should vary depending on who is in the hand and how strong of a hand I think they have. Things to take into consideration. The texture of the board, Betting the same amount if it’s a bluff. With that Bluff factor your River bet should always be in the 66-100% of the pot range. You gotta be able to balance out your tendencies.

Knowing your opponent is huge. If the guy is a call station you have to use Big sizing not just on the River but every street. Mixing in check raise River Bets on your bluffs and made hands are essential to dominating that player profile.

The strength of your hand should not impact your betting sizing. Feel free to elaborate guys. I’ve been playing poker since 1999 but I still learn new tactics. I’m interested in other opinions and points of view.

Manjerica1

Manjerica1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I take mainly in consider the possible combos that my opponent have and also take in consider the range I gave to him.
Basicaly I aim on what I think he has, if he has a strong hand and I have a stronger one I will bet around Pot Size or even over bets...
If he has hands like Ace High who might consider to call I will always bet something like 33% of pot.
It will always depends on what you think he has and if you beat it...
You can apply it for a bluff hand too doing a size like you "want that call" Will work with ppl who has similar thoughts or habilities... Strong bets in boards that does not connect anything, dry boards and this such of a thing...
Well Let me know if I wasnt clear trying to explain how I think, and lets have a talk [emoji16][emoji111]️

thetick33

thetick33

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It should vary depending on who is in the hand and how strong of a hand I think they have. Things to take into consideration. The texture of the board, Betting the same amount if it’s a bluff. With that Bluff factor your River bet should always be in the 66-100% of the pot range. You gotta be able to balance out your tendencies.

Knowing your opponent is huge. If the guy is a call station you have to use Big sizing not just on the River but every street. Mixing in check raise River Bets on your bluffs and made hands are essential to dominating that player profile.

The strength of your hand should not impact your betting sizing. Feel free to elaborate guys. I’ve been playing poker since 1999 but I still learn new tactics. I’m interested in other opinions and points of view.

if i know have player beat have nutts i bet a lot of times ill simply call or check river basically only bad things could happen if i bet they might have beat and shove etc...

Danjwarburton

Danjwarburton

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1/3rd pot size bet, encourages raises when they think they are nutted and everyone is calling with 4th pair and Ace high usually in MTTs.

It's an amazing river sizing!

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Before I bet anything on the River, I think what I am actually trying to accomplish. Am I firing one last bullet to generate a fold? Is this a value bet with the nuts? Am I trying to provoke the famous all-in shove? etc.

Yes, I try and mix it up to not become predictable. However, let us ignore the bluff situations for this case and assume we have the better hand and are trying to get as much value as we can: my bet size is whatever I think I can get away with. :D

If I think they are a calling station, then I am betting big. If they are nitty, then perhaps I'll bet 1/3rd the pot. If I think I am facing tough player(s) regarding aggression level, then I may even play the "Chan-play" of check to provoke an all-in. Usually, I am betting a decent chunk on the river: but I am just betting what I think I can get away with; no need to overthink it.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Even though value is very very important - I rarely river bet on a paired board. If I have a full house then I can put a smallish bet on the river.

If I am bluffing on the river then I want to bet big. But, not so big that it looks like I am trying to buy it.

Sizing is a tricky art in no limit.

I might check to my opponent if I am OOP on the river and just call whatever they bet.

Good luck !