Shove Pot Size bluff

N

nightstalkerk

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi, I like doing this: let's say i hold pocket 8.

if the flop come Q J 5,

and enemy bet, and i call.

if the turn come an A.

I shove Pot size.

most of the time people fold.

what do u think, is this a good move? i feel like this move work most of the time to be profitable, but would like to know if any of u try this strategy extensively enough to have long term answer.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A lot will depend on how good of opponents you are going against, did they pre flop raise, limp, etc. I think your move will work more often than not but that does not mean it is profitable. The times you get a fold you get x number of chips but the time this play doesn't work you now just put in a pot sized bet and when you get called in these spots you usually are behind. So if you are getting (using simple numbers obviously) 10 chips every time this works but losing 30 when it doesn't work then this needs to work 3 out of 4 times to break even. The more you do this play and more you have common opponents they might pick up on it so you will have to sometimes mix in your strong hands and bet pot in the same manner. That might get a lot of folds when you could half pot and get calls and be costing you chips.

I want to be clear in saying that I am not saying stop doing this move, just saying know that there are caveats to it and getting folds over half the time doesn't necessarily mean you will profit in the long run. Like everything else in poker experiment with it and see how it goes. It may be a move that works enough for you, or only works against certain opponents, or gets you in trouble moving forward. Just experiment with it but do know the positives and risks that are associated with it.

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
An overcard (and an ace in particular) can be a great scare card to bluff. With that said, if you're up against very loose opponents who don't fold much, I wouldn't make this play because you don't have a great risk-reward ratio shoving for the full pot size and they'll call too ften.

frazzle1991

frazzle1991

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
JM
Chips
I sometimrs do this, but i totally agree with previous comments, it does prove not profitable in the long run and players will start to pick up on it. What i try to do is to do it after having won 2 to 4 big pots at showdown so the board thinks i hardly bluff and only play pp and premiums.

frazzle1991

frazzle1991

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
JM
Chips
Showing hand when u bluff bites u in the butt :(

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Completely, It depends on the situation of the place.

I never think bad choice.