Should I have made this play?

Jammen

Jammen

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It’s getting late in the tourney 99 players remain 63 get paid. Guy on my direct left is going crazy, pushing almost every hand either preflop or on the flop. In this hand I’m in the BB and he’s under the gun, he open shoves for 40+ BB. It folds around to me with 10’s I have about 30BB knowing that he’s been acting crazy I call. At this point in the tourney im in 25 place and probably going to at least min cash. I guess I’m just not sure what the correct play is? Had he not been a maniac I might have folded. Idk ???

LarsLucidor

LarsLucidor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's a tough decision. I'm not sure I would have called being that high up in the standings and if he wasn't a maniac I never would have done it. The fact that he is covering you with his chips makes it a risky play. To some extent you have to play to get far though but it is more reasonable to play against the players with shorter stacks then.

Asixx014

Asixx014

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Being that high in the standings and being so close to the bubble is tough. I probably would have called depending on the kind of hands he's been turning up at showdowns, but that doesn't mean it would have been the right play. QQ+ might have been a safer call. Maniacs are usually just hyper-aggressive fish, on the same hand, 10s aren't at the top of the premium hands that would call pretty much any all-in.

X

xy23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have definitely called. Even if you're up against AKo or any Ax, you do have a bit more equity. You just gotta take those spots if you want to actually win the tournament rather than just mincash.

S

Salavat Kozhakhmetov

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if there's a card to be brave and not afraid to play,so said old Doyle Branson

ChickenArise

ChickenArise

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have been getting this hand a lot in the big blind. When I just call with it, I flopped a set and got stacked by an 89s who flops a flush.

So next time I raise with it and the flop is AJJ and they are worthless.

But with 30BB facing an all in from UTG which covers you, ask yourself am I trying to win the tournament and am I willing to risk my stack to put myself in position to win?

Even a loose cannon can wake up with a big hand.

At 40 BB he is not facing significant pressure from the approaching blinds. He could be doing with a hand that will be flipping with you or with 88 or 99 which you have crushed.

Versus one loose cannon opponent I go for the glory knowing I can lose and that is a risk I am willing to take to put myself in a position to win.

However no one can fault you if you decide to let go of your hand here.

X

xxgsaint5501xx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It’s getting late in the tourney 99 players remain 63 get paid. Guy on my direct left is going crazy, pushing almost every hand either preflop or on the flop. In this hand I’m in the BB and he’s under the gun, he open shoves for 40+ BB. It folds around to me with 10’s I have about 30BB knowing that he’s been acting crazy I call. At this point in the tourney im in 25 place and probably going to at least min cash. I guess I’m just not sure what the correct play is? Had he not been a maniac I might have folded. Idk ???

To me it comes down to your goal for the tournament. Is your goal to win, or just place as high as possible. if you are going for the top payout money, it is an insta call under the circumstances you described.

NCDaddy

NCDaddy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It all depends on what he's been showing? If he's shoving with any 2 random cards than I call resolved to the fact that I'm calling for my whole stack. Much easier call if you had more than 30bbs. Say if you had 60bb, it's a no brainer. Calling off with 10's is gutsy especially that late in the tournament and your position. That he's shoving "almost every hand" indicates to me that he does have some sort of filter and that he's probably shoving with Qx or better....which means you have to dodge some overs. I've been in your spot many times where I have both folded and called. Just depends how much info you have on him.

kowrip

kowrip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Have you actually seen any of his cards ? It's not uncommon for somebody to get a string of 4-5 decent hands in a single orbit. So, it's tough to go by just his recent activity, especially when you are the one calling the all-in rather than pushing all-in. Still, it's a tough spot and TT is certainly a very strong hand.

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

In my opinion I would call because you have to take some chance at winning the tournament.

Jammen

Jammen

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It all depends on what he's been showing? If he's shoving with any 2 random cards than I call resolved to the fact that I'm calling for my whole stack. Much easier call if you had more than 30bbs. Say if you had 60bb, it's a no brainer. Calling off with 10's is gutsy especially that late in the tournament and your position. That he's shoving "almost every hand" indicates to me that he does have some sort of filter and that he's probably shoving with Qx or better....which means you have to dodge some overs. I've been in your spot many times where I have both folded and called. Just depends how much info you have on him.

He was showing garbage and sucking out on people. He built he’s stack on the 5 or 6 previous hands. The 3 hands that did show were K3 off, Q7 suited and 75 off. Push all in preflop.

E

ekgbeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

For what it's worth, I'm a nit and would have folded. Real reasons are the following: your stack size is large enough to where you don't have to flip post flop, in most games you have a small edge so you are deep enough to make the cash and play from there, even though villian is manic, I would think that the hands they would shove has equity against your calling range. UNLESS you have seen them showdown absolute garbage several times, and even then I would rather play them post flop or KK+. Me being a nit it would be AA only pre with your stack size.

Knowing if you have seen many of their showdown hands, and what the buy-in was would be helpful, but wouldn't change the answer too much.

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Our patience is all against such a player you must wait for good hands and not smeared with it in each hand.

foran

foran

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
pay with a good hand, if you fold you go for the tournament

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would definitely have folded but it's only because my goal in each tournament is to be ITM it does not matter if they are cents or large amounts of money after being ITM I try to go for the FT and for the tournament I say this because I think it is a decision that depends of the vision of each player with that hand and in that stage of the tournament I do not think that any of it is a bad move I want to say it's okay the call or the fold in this case

K

Kraanjhb7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd fold. Stack size and seems like he is on winning streak even though its just him playing. I'd rather wait for a much better hand. QQ KK AK AA. Everybody on the table is waiting for that hand so his time will come.

Jilty

Jilty

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As Lars said 'The fact that he is covering you with his chips makes it a risky play', but.. the smartest play is most definitely go for the chips and a much better shot at the FT, 60bbs that far in is probably worth a lot more to you than the bubble cash so I'd definitely call him. Depends on how you play and what your aiming for. I would call.

Last edited:
NCDaddy

NCDaddy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He was showing garbage and sucking out on people. He built he’s stack on the 5 or 6 previous hands. The 3 hands that did show were K3 off, Q7 suited and 75 off. Push all in preflop.
Then I call.

E

ekgbeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Then I call.

Why risk all the chips when you have time to find better spots, have villain move tables, or OP move tables? Even a hand like K3o has a 28% chance of hitting preflop against TT. Not saying that you are wrong, just trying to understand the logic behind calling just because villain is playing super aggro?

G

gwj63

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
that's a tough spot to be in
I probably call, but i'm not the one to give advice
just sayin

NCDaddy

NCDaddy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why risk all the chips when you have time to find better spots, have villain move tables, or OP move tables? Even a hand like K3o has a 28% chance of hitting preflop against TT. Not saying that you are wrong, just trying to understand the logic behind calling just because villain is playing super aggro?

Fair question. a) Given the range of hands villain is showing, 10 10 is pretty solid top tier hand. b) IF (and I don't recall the format of the tournament) it's 6 handed, easy call. c) IF it's a turbo, easy call. Hero only had 30 bb's left so this is a good opportunity to double up to try and make the payscale. There's still 30 or so people to beat to make the money. Now, if it's NOT a turbo and 9 handed....again...like I said previously....I could go either way and not fault myself. If villain was showing stronger hands I'd lean fold. But, a chance to double and cripple a crazy opponent to my left?!? I like that spot.

Bozovicdj

Bozovicdj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Easy call IMO!
First of all, winning the hand and getting to 60+BB stack is huge and it simply opens the door for winning the whole thing and not just min-cashing.
This should also be the main reason for calling that shove from a maniac with TT!

Second, if it is true that he is shoving every hand he is probably a maniac and a loose guy and you want to call him with pocket pairs and even some AX hands!

In case you called, and he showed 75o and won, don't feel bad for a second! You made a great decision, great call. Use that info on him to your advantage and punish him other times you see him at your table!

G

gryphon3005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tough spot based on the information you added about the hands he showed. I think the chance to move up the ladder to a bigger payout is worth the risk based on your read of his play and the cards he showed. I would call.

JBGoode

JBGoode

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I could care less about how meny times hes done it. I care more about what he has been doing it with. Has anyone called them? If not I dont have the infomation needed to make the correct decision that he is not on his tightest range....

I understand the idea we have a higher pair.... but even the worest players arent doing this with 40+ BBs without Ax or Broadway cards. Meaning we are on the better side of a flip with blockers to thier striaghts.... it's too close to be playing for stacks like this...

Now if we were around 10-15 BBs, and they kept doing this with 15-20 BBs. I'm probably more likely to take the frequency into consideration and make the call.

Lugubrious

Lugubrious

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok I've been in this spot many many times before i believe that even JJ is a fold here you don't want to risk going just because your chips are worth more now than ever. It would have been a totally diff issue if you would have raise pre or shoved in that sit i think that even then it's a fold but if you're already committed then what's done is done. But I've seen some crazy things happen