Sets over Sets Situation

UM3SH

UM3SH

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was playing yesterday's a tournament and on one hand I got a preflop raise on 22 and opponent having TT.

Opponent 3bet me then I simply call. I flopped a sets but he misses. He bet 1/2 pot then I simply call to trap him but 10 was dealt on turn so he bet over pot size, I called. Then I shove on river but I lost my chip lead position.:(

So, my question is how can I deal sets over Sets situation in order to save my chips?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-09-27-23-45-10-645_air.com.connectivegames.blitz.jpg
    Screenshot_2020-09-27-23-45-10-645_air.com.connectivegames.blitz.jpg
    561.5 KB · Views: 37
Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was playing yesterday's a tournament and on one hand I got a preflop raise on 22 and opponent having TT.

Opponent 3bet me then I simply call. I flopped a sets but he misses. He bet 1/2 pot then I simply call to trap him but 10 was dealt on turn so he bet over pot size, I called. Then I shove on river but I lost my chip lead position.:(

So, my question is how can I deal sets over Sets situation in order to save my chips?
not many will find the strength to fold their set with a hand like 22-2.
and this is just an opponent with a stronger hand. he bought his set.
you did not have information about this player. what type is he
..... in general, this is a common case, and even if you were more aggressive after the flop on your next bet, your opponent would hardly fold his TT.
..be more careful with hands 22-77 when you are looking for your outs on a set. there is always a chance that the opponent will be ahead of you with the strongest hand
maybe I'm wrong but I'm learning to think
I wish you victories at the tables
there is no poker without failures and defeats with stronger or weaker hands
independently study the advice of experienced players regarding such combinations and situations
here you yourself gave your opponent the opportunity to find your out - T when you just called his bet although you could rearrange him
You wanted more from him, but you paid for it
in the end, it's just a bad situation and defeat for you, but not a bad game in general

Last edited:
Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The standard situation and you are right here and the opponent on this Board will not throw 10 points...

David macdonald

David macdonald

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This happened to me In a cash game and I lost my bankroll. I had 22 and the board was perfect with no straights or flushes , I had my full. Bankroll in by the river knowing the only hand that could beat me is another set. I was so happy inside thinking I would double up my money. Then he turned over a set of 3's and I almost puked. Took me a long time to get over that one.

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You cannot know what is in the opponent's hands and what will fall out after the flop, which means that your actions were correct.

L

lintsikka

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why in the world you raise with ducks preflop??? :D

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Without some kind of read or previous experience with the opponent it's always going to be difficult-to-impossible to avoid losing a chunk of chips set over set on a clean board.

The best thing you can do to minimise the damage in these types of situations is probably adopting a conservative, small-ball approach and narrowing your win/loss margins (i.e. limiting how much can lose by reducing how much you can win).

Learn how to soul read...? :biggrin:

Yours is the kind of question I would perhaps recommend you ask in one of the cardschat pro's AMA threads as, in my opinion, correctly folding sets+ is a fairly pro move. :wink:

Like this one...

~moved. to Learning Poker

Edgerik

Edgerik

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Poker is like that, nothing to do, turn the page and continue.

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Completely, It depends on the situation of the place.

There is a person who says one is a set and that an enemy is a high set when it's all right, too.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Typically its a mistake to call a 3-bet with a small pair, and one of the reasons is, you have a higher risk of getting into a set over set situation, than you do in a single raised pot, because the 3-bettors range contain a high density of big pairs like TT-AA. Another way to avoid set over set situation and increase your winrate is to simply ditch the smallest pairs from early position, and also in a lot of situations, when someone else have entered the pot. If you take on every single setmining spot, you are almost certainly losing a lot of money overall especially with the absolute worst pairs like 22-44.

UM3SH

UM3SH

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Typically its a mistake to call a 3-bet with a small pair, and one of the reasons is, you have a higher risk of getting into a set over set situation, than you do in a single raised pot, because the 3-bettors range contain a high density of big pairs like TT-AA. Another way to avoid set over set situation and increase your winrate is to simply ditch the smallest pairs from early position, and also in a lot of situations, when someone else have entered the pot. If you take on every single setmining spot, you are almost certainly losing a lot of money overall especially with the absolute worst pairs like 22-44.
I will start doing that. Thanks.

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Once you hit your set, there really is no way of getting away from your hand on a board as dry as that. Depending on how big his pre-flop 3-bet was, I am probably folding my 22 here (and up to 88) depending on the opponent.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Agree that once hero saw this flop, there was really no way to fold a set on a board like this, and its just very unlucky, that Villain hit his 2-outer on the turn. Villain probably dont even have 88 or 55 in his 3-betting range, so Hero lose to TT and beat everything else including JJ-AA. In that sense this is just a huge cooler, and the only street to possibly get away was preflop.

I

Ianmacca99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Agree with this
You are going to miss the flop a lot and there is always going to be over cards which makes the smallest pairs extremely vunerable I would rather ditch them preflop to a lot of action.

Once you have hit your set on a dry board it's difficult to get away from just a cooler unlucky

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you get a set and there is a larger set out there you have almost no chance of running away without losing. I think it would be a big mistake to throw away sets, and this is rare because there is a larger set out there.
You may be discarded, you have 4 flush cards on the table (and say you don't have that suit), or you have 4 rows of cards. Maybe then you can throw it away.

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Most of the time you find yourself in a set over set situation you're going to lose all your chips. It's just bad luck & when the roles are reversed you will likely get all their chips.

If it is possible your opponent can still have overpairs or draws in their range against which your set is doing fantastic then to fold would be a mistake.

Think about your opponents range, ask yourself how you are doing (equity wise) against that range, and if the answer is 'great' then go with it.

Whether they show up with the best hand or the worst hand in their range is another form of luck in poker and you just need to hope to be on the right side of it ;)

(The times you can potentially avoid set over set situations and typically ones where you are >150 big blinds deep... and that doesn't happen very often in tournaments)

M

Mahdi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
nothing you can do with it, it usually hard to put your opponent on set and 10x times harded to put him on set if you have one, the only showing may be if some break like 8 comes on turn and your opponent goes crazy

T

tata777rus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was in such a dangerous situation. I have 55 in my hands, my opponent has 77. On the table 2, 7, 5 ... I could not fold a set of fives, I flew right in front of the prize zone. Sometimes, don't be discouraged - this is a game.:):fight: