Set or trips

Z

zkmena

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Someone suggested the other day that trips is if you have 1 hole card and hit 2 on the board

A set is if you have 2 hole cards and hit the 3rd on the board?

Is this correct, it Is it just personal preference?

Also why do people call 2 and 3 deuce and trey respectively? Deuce I can accept.....at a push 😄

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Someone suggested the other day that trips is if you have 1 hole card and hit 2 on the board

Also why do people call 2 and 3 deuce and trey respectively? Deuce I can accept.....at a push 😄
For me, trips and set are the same thing; 'best hand' = 3 cards with same value using cards on table and in hand.
...but I might be wrong.....

Peppinotom

Peppinotom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

That's absolutely correct, thrips is just lucky as hell, a set is lucky :)

M

Manifestor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
for me is the set is better trap for opponent
so if you have some hand pair
keep them with you

Gamebreakr25

Gamebreakr25

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Your definition if "Set" and "Trips" is correct. I just learned this myself about a year ago. As far as why a deuce, and a trey are called what they are called .... I couldn't tell ya. Have a good day :cool:

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One thing and, too, simply different options for good...

J

jokkerivanapoiss

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow, never even thought of it that way. Gosh, there are so many terms in poker it's like learning a new language :p

J

John bruce

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sets are a nightmare for me yesterday. I lost entire bank roll on four different sets on the flop. three times I was against two pair that hit the river. Fourth time I made a big raise he pushed. I felt like he was bluffing. Sure enough he had no pairs and two hearts. One on the flop. Runner runner hearts.
I don't mind because I took a free roll dollar win and turned it into 15 dollars. But I know it's rigged. But I can't fold those sets. Specially if I don't see a flush draw or str draw. Never.
This is why I play the free stuff online and cash at the tables. Getting so predictable online that it's losing it entertainment value. Peace

TonyTwoCheeks

TonyTwoCheeks

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Both have the same value. Typically, the distinction is in the strategy of how to play the different hands. A set is made with a pocket pair. Trips are made with a single hole card.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I remember the sets from the trips by recalling the letters of the alphabet. (S)et comes before (T)rip.
Then I think selfishly, me before you. So Set means I have the pair in my hand. Trip means the table has the pair.

Confusing, I know, but that's how I remember to tell the difference between sets and trips.