Running deep in MTT's

BubbleWizard

BubbleWizard

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I played MTT's 5 - 10 hours/day in the past 2 weeks. I rarely go out in the first hour of a tournament and most of the time I run deep in the remaining 10% of players, sometimes as a chip leader.

I start each tournament with confidence, build a healthy stack from the beginning and manage to maintain it almost until pay-time. At that point something happens and somehow I manage to **** it up. Either I get a bad beat (Losing with AA) or I get drawn into bad hands.

After thinking about this I came to the conclusion that probably my experience is not as good as I thought it was. And the overconfidence I have is just a mask for the lack of knowledge in poker skills.

Are the remaining 10% of players in a MTT more skilled than me?
Should I change the play style while deep in tournament?

I don't know, I just want to reach the final table in a big tournament.

If you guys have any advice, please help :smile:

S

SHAEH2012

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
one word...variance...you get caught in it...nothing to do...you are playing great!

D

Dan Lucas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree 100% with shaeh. You are having a good run, and you are just running into coolers or just bad breaks as you approach the final table. Just try not to dwell too much on the bad breaks, and keep trying to make good decisions. Final table will come.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Are the remaining 10% of players in a MTT more skilled than me?
Should I change the play style while deep in tournament?

Most likely the answer to that is they are better at controlling their urges.

K

karl coakley

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think they are more skilled than you.

Early in the tournament it is easy to chip up because of the bad players. Some of these bad players even accumulate a large amount of chips by being "lucky", only to donate them to better players as the tournament progresses.

There is certainly a lot of skill in finishing a tournament. The blinds are a large portion of your stack, the antes chew away at you, and you can't just wait for premium hands.

This is where the "play the person, not the cards", comes into play. You need to learn to be more creative with your game rather than just waiting for cards. Doing this will keep your stack growing rather than stagnant and dwindling. This will allow your stack to take a bad beat or bad call rather than busing out.

Keep adding to your tool box....