Rules and Tips to be a Good Poker Player

Edison A

Edison A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi Everyone!.. I want to share with you some tricks that I have learned playing and I have read in my 25 years of playing poker, I know that poker has evolved and nowadays there are many more poker players than years ago, here in this thread I share some tips
You can also leave your comment or advice in this thread to contribute to this thread :)
  • -Choose a modality or level of poker that you feel more comfortable
  • -Never play in a hurry or if you are busy in another matter better do not play, poker needs a lot of concentration
  • -Never play tired, tiredness will make you make mistakes and fatigue makes you lose interest in the game
  • -If you lose a hand with many chips, do not lose patience, do not get frustrated, relax, take a breather and start again
  • -It is important to know your opponents
  • -Choose a time of day in which you are calmer and more relaxed to play
  • - Try to use the chat as little as possible, that often makes you lose focus
  • -Don't play many tournaments at the same time
  • -Always avoid SlowPlay
  • -Don't risk money that can be used to pay bills
  • -Do not consume alcohol while playing
  • -Forget about the myths of bots and that the online game is tricked
  • -That your only goal in your mind is to win
  • -Always have a good attitude and positive mindset
  • -It is important to read and study certain poker courses, here in the forum we have a very good course (the best of all) and it is free, here the linkl:
https://www.cardschat.com/become-a-winning-poker-player/

Last edited by a moderator:
Propane Goat

Propane Goat

Grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Great tips!

One tip that covers something I have had to work on is not to chase your losses, particularly in cash games. If you start losing and going on tilt it's easy to make -EV decisions to try and get back to where you started from and odds are you will just continue spewing.

Edison A

Edison A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Great tips!

One tip that covers something I have had to work on is not to chase your losses, particularly in cash games. If you start losing and going on tilt it's easy to make -EV decisions to try and get back to where you started from and odds are you will just continue spewing.
Thanks David, and thanks for contributing that excellent advice :)

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You cover a lot of mental game tips and those are very important to being a successful poker player!

Edison A

Edison A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Another very important tip:
Manage Correctly your Banking

N

nutshove

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
While some of these are obviously Poker specific, nearly all of them have some sort of parallel that you can apply to most other games or life in general.

If your results matter to you, make sure you give yourself the best chance possible to win! Good health, energy, the right mentality, and the will to play is a nice hand to have.

Last edited:
Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, good advice. I've seen many players falter on one or two of these points.

FoxMS

FoxMS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Everyone!.. I want to share with you some tricks that I have learned playing and I have read in my 25 years of playing poker, I know that poker has evolved and nowadays there are many more poker players than years ago, here in this thread I share some tips
You can also leave your comment or advice in this thread to contribute to this thread :)
  • -Choose a modality or level of poker that you feel more comfortable
  • -Never play in a hurry or if you are busy in another matter better do not play, poker needs a lot of concentration
  • -Never play tired, tiredness will make you make mistakes and fatigue makes you lose interest in the game
  • -If you lose a hand with many chips, do not lose patience, do not get frustrated, relax, take a breather and start again
  • -It is important to know your opponents
  • -Choose a time of day in which you are calmer and more relaxed to play
  • - Try to use the chat as little as possible, that often makes you lose focus
  • -Don't play many tournaments at the same time
  • -Always avoid SlowPlay
  • -Don't risk money that can be used to pay bills
  • -Do not consume alcohol while playing
  • -Forget about the myths of bots and that the online game is tricked
  • -That your only goal in your mind is to win
  • -Always have a good attitude and positive mindset
  • -It is important to read and study certain poker courses, here in the forum we have a very good course (the best of all) and it is free, here the linkl:
https://www.cardschat.com/become-a-winning-poker-player/

Really good tips and rules.
I think if players strictly follow these principles, their results will improve significantly.
Please tell me, do you only recommend, or do you also follow these principles?

Edison A

Edison A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
While some of these are obviously Poker specific, nearly all of them have some sort of parallel that you can apply to most other games or life in general.

If your results matter to you, make sure you give yourself the best chance possible to win! Good health, energy, the right mentality, and the will to play is a nice hand to have.
You are right, good health is also important, and good energy, exercise routines help to achieve it, running or walking is a good option :)

Edison A

Edison A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Really good tips and rules.
I think if players strictly follow these principles, their results will improve significantly.
Please tell me, do you only recommend, or do you also follow these principles?
Hello, I follow these principles, but the most important thing is discipline, you also have to learn a lot of theory and practice :)

PsychoVas

PsychoVas

What The Duck???
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Good, solid advice. The two additions I think complete the rule set!

P.S. For me especially the "tired" part is absolutely true. I've been working in renovations lately and getting way too tired physically. I tried playing a little in my off days, but I was so beat that I played without any consideration to the game. I even hoped to bust, to go to bed sooner...

Edison A

Edison A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good, solid advice. The two additions I think complete the rule set!

P.S. For me especially the "tired" part is absolutely true. I've been working in renovations lately and getting way too tired physically. I tried playing a little in my off days, but I was so beat that I played without any consideration to the game. I even hoped to bust, to go to bed sooner...

Thanks for supporting this thread, another very important tip is to apply a lot of discipline :)

rdwr33

rdwr33

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
HI. I love to read tips from veteran players. thank you very much.

PokStorm

PokStorm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm newbie in poker and sincerely everything is good to learn, but this one is great. There are things so simple that they are easily forgotten.
Thank you very much for this excellent digest of the little things that can make some difference. :top:

Edison A

Edison A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm newbie in poker and sincerely everything is good to learn, but this one is great. There are things so simple that they are easily forgotten.
Thank you very much for this excellent digest of the little things that can make some difference. :top:
Hi, I'm glad you like the tips, Good Luck!:)

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
15 tips there and i believe i got like 12 where i do the exact opposite :cool:

D

DoIHaveAFlush

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Edison,

Really some great stuff you put in here! Thank you! Especially your point about relaxing after loosing a huge chip stack is not really easy..but in the end, you are totally right..getting angry doesnt change a thing..

Cheers

M

Maggio_A

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi, really good tips :) thanks for them :) but about alcohol...once one guy told me that he always win more when he is drunk :D is he the only one? :D

Edison A

Edison A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi Edison,

Really some great stuff you put in here! Thank you! Especially your point about relaxing after loosing a huge chip stack is not really easy..but in the end, you are totally right..getting angry doesnt change a thing..

Cheers
I'm glad you like the tips, Good Luck in the Tables!

Edison A

Edison A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi, really good tips :) thanks for them :) but about alcohol...once one guy told me that he always win more when he is drunk :D is he the only one? :D
I don't think someone drunk wins poker, it may be that they win one hand or another, but sooner or later they will lose

Poker Tips Poker Rules - Poker Games