Spannerdeth

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Community cards: 4h 7s Qd Qc 6c

7d 7h VS Kh Qs?

I went all-in thinking my three of a kind Queens was the nuts on pokerstars and my opponent won the hand with three of a kind sevens.

Is a three of a kind worth more when you have a poket pair than the highest 3 of a kind?

Thanks!

black and

black and

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Of course, the winning hand is 77.
This combination is called a Full House. :)
777+QQ

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You must report the software error since you had Full House and you should have won that hand. My recommendation is that you report the problem, do not expect monetary compensation.

smallfrie

smallfrie

Lucky Ducky
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Community cards: 4h 7s Qd Qc 6c

7d 7h VS Kh Qs?

I went all-in thinking my three of a kind Queens was the nuts on PokerStars and my opponent won the hand with three of a kind sevens.

Is a three of a kind worth more when you have a poket pair than the highest 3 of a kind?

Thanks!
Poker hand is best 5 cards. Your 5 card hand is Qd,Qc,Qs, Kh,7s (3 0f a kind Q's with K7)
You opponent does not have 3 of a kind their 5 card hand is a full house 7d,7h,7s,Qd,Qc.
A full house is better than 3 of a kind. You lose.

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To analyze this, in holdem its the best 5 card hand using your two down cards with the community cards on the table.

The hand with KQ had three of a kind queens.

The hand with 77 had three of a kind sevens plus a pair of queens with the community cards which equals a full house.

Full house is better than trips so that is why the result is what it is.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Yeah, it hurts when an opponent can use both the cards in his hands and you can just use one of the cards in your hand. That is a hint that you possibly lost. His full house trip 7's and unfortunately for you, his pair of queens on the board make a full house, trumps your trip queens. Poker is a best of 5 card game.

F

fourroses

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
your opinion wins because he have a full house ,777QQ and you have only QQQ

ObbleeXY

ObbleeXY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
So most people have told you the same thing. Full house Sevens over Queens.
So this teaches us something important...

Whenever there is a pair on the board, you are at risk of being beaten by a full house, either by holding pocket pair which matches one of the other, non-paired community cards, or by tripping with one hole card and pairing with the other.

Now, ignoring the full house for a moment, this also (sort of) highlights the difference in strength between "Trips" and a "Set".

The former is when one of your cards matches up with paired board cards.
The latter is when a pocket pair (hole cards) match up with a single community card.

A set is much more hidden. The board can sometimes look relatively innocuous, yet your opponent can be on their way to a monster hand.

In this case, the set was so well hidden that it became a boat, and that was missed.

Now, I'm not telling you to run with your tail between your legs whenever the board pairs with itself, but you do need to take it into consideration when betting, calling or raising.

On the other hand, when the board pairs up, it may also be an opportunity for a bluff, scaring your opponent off, knowing you might have trips or even a boat. Depending on who you are up against, their skill level, and hand history, you can use this to your advantage (some portion of the time).

By the way, no need to feel foolish when you miss something that is obvious to others. We all do it from time to time. I sometimes used to miss flush draws when playing on my phone, because it was so hard to differentiate hearts from diamonds and spaded from clubs. (Hint: Using a four-colour deck helps solve this issue). Similarly, it can be easy to miss gapped straight draws if you're mind isn't fully on the game, or you're playing fast paced games or if you are p0laying many games at once.

Heck, Spraggy managed to be holding AA and let his clock time out yesterday because he was playing a number of tables simultaneously.

Don't worry about the mistakes. We all make them. And don't pay attention to anyone here who tries to make you feel foolish about it. Just identify the mistakes you make, and work on a strategy to avoid them.

Cheers,
ObbleeXY

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands Poker Rules - Poker Games