Right play?

J

Jarud

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi everyone new to the forum so go easy, I'm relatively new to the game and have been playing microstakes online, I have a hand that cost me my entire stack but i think I made the right play?

Hero dealt A◇ Q◇ UTG
Fishy table so I raise to 4xBB.

HJ 3bets to 8xBB

CO over calls
Everyone else folds
Hero calls

Flop is J◇ Q♧ 7◇

I can't remember if I continuation bet or checked but
HJ shoved 125BB
And then so did CO 125BB

Ok so here's my decision I've got top pair and about 9 outs to the nut flush. At best about 11 outs or 40% equity. I'm getting pot odds of about 3:1?? Or 2:1.
Any way i thought that making the call was +EV so I made the call and lost to a set of jacks.

Any help or feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks
Jarud.

This Fish Chums

This Fish Chums

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think you made a horrid call, but I don't think you stopped to consider what everyone else could be holding. You only playe your cards without consideration for the other hands. For instance, other players could have been holding:

1. Two pair
  2. Trips
  3. An overpair
Now, I'm not saying the call was bad, I'm saying the consideration before the call was bad. Yes, YOU had a lot of outs, but you were also playing against a lot of possibilities that had you beat.

One thing I always try to ask myself is, "Am I willing to give up my tournament life/cash for this one hand?" In your case, I think I could have found a call if I was playing proper bankroll management and only playing 5% of my bankroll because you'd have enough of a bankroll left that you could legitimately gamble this money. If, however, you play like me and were playing stakes a lot higher than what you're supposed to (such as 50% - 100% of your bankroll), then I would say you should have walked away from the hand.

J

Jarud

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the feedback I'll take it into consideration, i find it hard to fold killer draws, but it's something I'll have to work on.

E

EL1t1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should consider 4betting preflop as ur hand is very strong and opponent just min raised, ofc he can have aces but you block them with ur ace and against everything else ur doing fine, but if you call and get that flop, u should get ur money in, as even against aces ur doing fine, ur only in bad shape against sets but u got flush outs to that aswell, so money should go in for sure.

L

lokinet

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You should consider 4betting preflop as ur hand is very strong and opponent just min raised, ofc he can have aces but you block them with ur ace and against everything else ur doing fine, but if you call and get that flop, u should get ur money in, as even against aces ur doing fine, ur only in bad shape against sets but u got flush outs to that aswell, so money should go in for sure.

i agree on that, to cal give you not that much infaormation. A 4 bet and you only have monsters go with.
so not a bad call but a questionable

S

SKav

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you made the right play or in turn the right call in that situation, I dont know much about odds or the math but I like the chances having that hand/flop again in another situation. I feel like its one of those things were you ran into that "rare" occurrence.