Restealing ranges?

vox1er

vox1er

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So is there going to be a set range of hands i want to resteal with against opponents who are opening wide? Is that how it works that generally i want to have 2 high cards that can flop well? And around 20bb is usually the right stack size to make this play because there is no room to 3b a smaller size than all in and we have enough fold equity to make the play and its one of the best ways to gain chips at this stage. <-- this is what i have learned so far. Basically i want to learn what is priority to look for when to make this play

SirYivx

SirYivx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In terms of 're-stealing' pots, at 20bbs, we ALWAYS want to be re-raising our hands when we enter pots, unless we are completing from the blinds with a marginal holding. NO TRAPPING! In general, it is a good, aggressive approach to always 3bet when entering pots, as to isolate the initial pre-flop raiser, and thus strengthen our equity in the hand.

I think on a 20-25bb stack against opponents(usually deeper stacked) who are opening wide, our re-raising-to-steal range consists of most suited aces, ATs +, KJs +, the occasional suited connector, and pocket pairs 55 +. Of course, position and table dynamic are two very, very important variables to consider. But as a general rule of thumb I think these ranges are fine. You can widen even more against manic opponents who are opening every hand.

Simply put, we do not want to simply call against a deep-stacked opponent who has a wide range when we hold a premium hand or a hand with good equity. Many times these deeper stacked opponents will raise with suited connectors, suited Kings, and suited Aces, with the occasional premium hand. Because of this wider range and because our opponent is so deep, it is almost necessary to re-raise when we enter these pots, as the odds are almost always in our favor, and their 3bet call percentage will be higher as they can afford to see more flops due to their large stack and lower risk of busting, giving us a better opportunity to chip up. Shoving is also an option when facing a raise while under 20bbs, but 20-25bb is a slightly tougher stack to play on. Shoving is still however acceptable on a 20-25bb stack when facing a 3x+ BB raise from a loose opponent, as it will be a profitable play.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like to look at how wide the villan opens and how much they fold to 3b. Then you have to adjust your range. Some villans will fold a ton to 3bets and others are going to be harder to shake. Before I make the play I also like to pretend I win and pretend I lose the hand and invision what that does to my tourney equity.

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I guess some math has to be done on what you can 3bet fold for 20bb ? id would usually be shoving a set range vs an open for 20bb but i dont play many tournaments.