Recommend me on how to improve based on my goals

M

MariuseM

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi,

I have played poker back in 2013-2015 when i was in high-school, with parents' accounts. I really grinded back then and i used to play micro/small stakes MTT proftably. I used to play 25NL cash games as well, because I couldn't handle MTT variance.

Since then i played once in a while, like 50 MTTs a year, just for fun, small stakes mostly. Honestly, I do not even know if playing small stakes has a positive ROI anymore for me. But the thing is I enjoy playing poker for fun. It is really interesting and I do not care much about ROI etc. etc. anymore. I consider it as a hobby.

The problem is , that I still look at this game from a competitive perspective. I really enjoy trying to outplay opponents/player pool. Thinking about ICM, Ranges, EV/Variance trade-offs stuff like that. As a result, I am looking for ways to improve - whether it should be online courses, private hours or just some random MTT analyses over the internet.

I would like to get some recommendations what ways would you recommend for a person like me to improve.

A little about me : 22M, Used to beat 25NL at 4-5bb/100 (not PS), 1-11$ MTTs for 15% in 2013-2014. I have lost my shape a lot, i cannot beat 10NL now, but MTTs still seem pretty weak. I do not have any contacts with any of my old poker collegues - I used to play with gripsed poker group, FTHunters etc. I am planning to play up to 300-400 MTTs a year, but would definitely spend 20-30% of that time for studying as well, analysing hands etc. I am not looking to make living from this, but more of a profitable hobby and my goal is to play on Sunday small/mid-stakes in few years at a breakeven level, without thinking "oh this is so -EV its not worth the enjoyment".

I am thinking what would be the best options for me? Maybe I should join some MTT poker groups in discord/skype? Maybe I should take 1 hour of MTT coaching first to see where I am at? Maybe I should take some courses (I am sceptical about those) ?

I haven't been active in poker forums for 4 years, so i don't know if this post might be off or not. Thanks in advance ! :)

F

feisas7991

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Oddly enough I'm in the situation at the moment and in fact i do recall your name from somewhere (maybe nl100??).

This spring i graduated from university and was thinking the same thing, what do i want to do and if i could have poker as a side hustle even though after a couple years break i do not beat any stakes. After contacting most of my old buddies i concluded, that if you want to be profitable in poker you have to dedicate full time to it (at least for the first couple months, grinding and studying 4days a week).

What to play? Just like you i used to beat both MTTs and cash games with really good winrates and now seem to be struggling to make a single dime out of it. Recently, looking at the best options i figured party poker must be the best option (even though huds are banned and fields arent softest), the reason that is we can hunt for overlay MTTs in off-peak hours and getting relatively small variance.

What to study? I'd recommend contacting me if you are willing to study full time at least to the point where we can beat $11 mtts on daily bases (currently i neither have bankroll for it or skill). Courses should be alright option, I have to admin i never bought them due to high price.

If you find any motivated groups, that you could add me to - please do not hesitate!

Good Luck!!!

fickleberry

fickleberry

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would be interested in a study group.

Maybe it would benefit us if we started our own Discord group. Not sure if that is against CC rules or not. Perhaps a mod could shed some light.

A little about me: my peak was during 2008-2012 playing MTTs. I have won a bunch of tournaments and won roughty ~250k with an above average ROI due to a few 15K+ scores.