Recommend books on poker

joaquinvd

joaquinvd

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello, I need you to share some of the books you have read to study about poker, it never hurts to study a little so thank you very much

christmasscorpion

christmasscorpion

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hi friend, I think that in our time there are no actual poker books as they were written long ago and most of the information in them is irrelevant, as poker has changed and he is not tight as I was before and became aggressive, recommend you a book by Colin Moshman I think is the only poker book that is suitable to modern poker and that will give you some knowledge. I advise you to watch poker streams, on the twitch site in the poker section and learn the game from them, independently search and read articles on poker on the Internet and gain knowledge and look for up-to-date information about ranges of sizing 3 bet and so on and play free poker tournaments yourself and hone your knowledge, in practice, which you have learned from this information, just get knowledge, this is half the business, you need to hone your skills in free tournaments, check what turns out and what doesn't. I hope I helped you

Highsolation

Highsolation

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Cardschat offers a free course which I have read and really enjoyed the e-book.
https://www.cardschat.com/become-a-winning-poker-player/
You get to learn the main concepts about the game, review hands with Poker pros Collin Moshman and Katie Dozier where they give you their insight of what was the best action in given scenarios, the humour they have is quite great too.

joaquinvd

joaquinvd

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hi friend, I think that in our time there are no actual poker books as they were written long ago and most of the information in them is irrelevant, as poker has changed and he is not tight as I was before and became aggressive, recommend you a book by Colin Moshman I think is the only poker book that is suitable to modern poker and that will give you some knowledge. I advise you to watch poker streams, on the twitch site in the poker section and learn the game from them, independently search and read articles on poker on the Internet and gain knowledge and look for up-to-date information about ranges of sizing 3 bet and so on and play free poker tournaments yourself and hone your knowledge, in practice, which you have learned from this information, just get knowledge, this is half the business, you need to hone your skills in free tournaments, check what turns out and what doesn't. I hope I helped you

THANK YOU FOR ANSWERING, I APPRECIATE IT VERY MUCH, IF I NEED TO LEARN MORE THAN CASH TABLES I AM STAGGED IN NL 2 BUT I DEDICATE MORE TO PLAYING (SNG) THERE IF I HAVE EXCELLENT RESULTS FOR NOW. I WILL READ WHAT YOU HAVE SHARED GREETINGS.

ObbleeXY

ObbleeXY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips

I do not concur with your reply. There are loads of poker books published in recent years which remain relevant. Jonathan Little, for example, has published numerous books which remain relevant.

I completely advise against your suggestion of watching poker streams., streamed Poker is entertainment not tutelage. Sure, watch them. But do not expect to learn much as streams are not teaching moments.

That said, there are loads of poker sites which can teach, CC being but one of them. I personally like PokerCoaching.com and I also pepper it with a different philosophy in Nathan Williams (BlackRain79) musings.

I do get what you mean in terms of the game having evolved and strategy such as Game Theory Optimal (GTO) changes the game radically. But there is sufficient variety of games out there to make the landscape ever changing.

Here is a book I like: Little's Excelling at No Limit Hold 'em.
https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1909457442/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

One of the things I like about this book is all the various views on "how to study" Poker. there is no single, correct, answer. But when you get a cross section of professional views, you have a great menu to order from.

Early on, you need to concentrate on playing fewer, stronger hands; getting a strong handle of the importance of position, and getting your bet-sizing sorted. You need to focus on where you win big, but equally reviewing all the losses you've made, and whether they are losses which limited your potential losses, or losses which limited your potential wins, etc.

And generally, you need to learn to fold more....when your opponent's story is legitimate, get out of the way. The objective is to make plays which are profitable in the long run.

I'd recommend you also get a HUD, even a free version to help accumulate intel.

Regards,
JT

P

professor_poker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I disagree with this so strongly. I actually think poker streams on Twitch are FAR too trend driven, and actually really unhelpful in actually learning and building a full understanding of Poker and how to adapt to multiple dynamics over time.

I say this because I believe quite a few recent books have been really good. Obviously I have a bias (I recently released 'Mindblowing Poker' - see Amazon - which I deliberately wrote to be highly relevant to today and going forwards), but you really should read some recent books as an alternative to streams or Youtube!

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, I need you to share some of the books you have read to study about poker, it never hurts to study a little so thank you very much

Perfect place to ask this question. Let us be of service to you joaquinvd!

For the most basic material check out Essential Poker Math by Alton Hardon & The Poker Workbook for Math Geeks by Doug Hull

For some more info on these fundamentals and more (and free) watch http://gripsed.com/win

For a bigger picture overview of all things poker check out Elements of Poker (I believe it was recently voted one of if not the best poker books of all time) & for a very technical breakdown of the MODERN approach to the game, Modern Poker Theory by Michael Acevedo is the Nuts!!!

Sorry I don't have links for them but google will help you find them.

Also a personal favorite is zen and the art of poker by Larry Phillips (but keep in mind I'm a bit of a yogi/meditator/hippy so I have a slight bias for it)

If you'd like a couple more ebooks as well check out the links in my signature.

Thanks again for sharing this question with us and giving us an opportunity to be of service!

Good luck & Happy stackin!

joaquinvd

joaquinvd

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Perfect place to ask this question. Let us be of service to you joaquinvd!

For the most basic material check out Essential Poker Math by Alton Hardon & The Poker Workbook for Math Geeks by Doug Hull

For some more info on these fundamentals and more (and free) watch http://gripsed.com/win

For a bigger picture overview of all things poker check out Elements of Poker (I believe it was recently voted one of if not the best poker books of all time) & for a very technical breakdown of the MODERN approach to the game, Modern Poker Theory by Michael Acevedo is the Nuts!!!

Sorry I don't have links for them but google will help you find them.

Also a personal favorite is zen and the art of poker by Larry Phillips (but keep in mind I'm a bit of a yogi/meditator/hippy so I have a slight bias for it)

If you'd like a couple more ebooks as well check out the links in my signature.

Thanks again for sharing this question with us and giving us an opportunity to be of service!

Good luck & Happy stackin!

oh thank you for the support at this moment I am already reading something but when I finish I will see the books you recommended. I already subscribed to your youtube channel, you won a follower, greetings and good luck at the GLGLG tables :cool::cool: