Reading Opponents at the Poker Table: How solid reads can be better than big hands

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
We all know what to do when the great cards come our way. But do you know how to correctly follow your reads on your opponents to keep from making big mistakes? By stopping and analyzing the known information we have in front of us, it can flip seemingly "no-brainer" decisions on their head. Our Ambassador and Poker Expert Katie Dozier shows us how:

Would you be able to make the same play?

tehb1987

tehb1987

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Quite an interesting hand. I don't think I could lay down the KK in this situation. A strong decision. Thanks for the lesson, a hand dropped in time will save your nerves. Reading opponents is really very important.

Propane Goat

Propane Goat

Grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
To reach this level of play, you have to also abandon the mentality that getting AA or KK always entitles you to win the pot and that you got cheated if you didn't. If you don't improve post-flop, it's just one pair which can easily be beat.

Going on tilt and blaming the site for being rigged, the other players for being donks, etc. while doing nothing to analyze your own play is completely counter-productive.

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
To reach this level of play, you have to also abandon the mentality that getting AA or KK always entitles you to win the pot and that you got cheated if you didn't. If you don't improve post-flop, it's just one pair which can easily be beat.

Going on tilt and blaming the site for being rigged, the other players for being donks, etc. while doing nothing to analyze your own play is completely counter-productive.
This is such a great point, and I think a mistake that many of us do and have made. Everything in poker is situational. You cannot always expect the same outcome every time.

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Awww, thanks so much for the nice comments in this thread, I really appreciate them all! :)

vuk011

vuk011

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

+1 :pcguru:

Bev

Bev

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Good video. Helpful advice , and again it takes a lot of patience to play those hands or not play them. I have lost more times with AA, and even KK - so I know hard it is to fold them. If I haven't gone allin , then I usually end up folding them to.
Going allin whenever one gets either of those hands or even other monster hands doesn't make a good player. It is just part of the game to watch the other players and see what they shove with, if the cards are shown , that auto muck isn't the best for others to see sometimes. But if you can see what they go allin with or even raise with , that gives you a better idea.

Pokersolomdp

Pokersolomdp

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
KK fold

Hi Tammy, a true professional. I lost with KK.

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If we assume that the opponent has collected a set, then our outs are kings and spades. Two spades on the flop. However, the opponent blocks the flush with the ace of spades. I'd make a pass on the turn, maybe. I think you have studied those who played with you. It's a hard fold.

xOneCoolHandx

xOneCoolHandx

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What a great read. I play against other opponents who try to pull the same thing and limp or min bet from early position with a monster. It's one of those plays that clever opponents will make because they see EP limps getting big raises from the back, this play will often work on players that don't pay attention. Nice work!

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Competent fold. In this situation, I would not fold KK. One of the differences between professionals and amateurs in poker is the folding of strong hands at the right time.

25thinfantryman

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
when u catch on to that bluffin player especially if hes big stacked u can get him to push u in when you have the best hand

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks guys! The “villain” in this hand was def a winning reg that I’d accumulated thousands of hands with. It was also a good reminder to me to always just shove when we’re the one in villain’s shoes instead of trying to induce when it should look suspicious to anyone paying attention.

Really appreciate all the nice comments, you guys rock! [emoji4]

M

Muzyka1996

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sometimes fold is the most appropriate option, even with the hands KK ,although this is sometimes quite difficult to do :D

bruno13xs

bruno13xs

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
just go through this situation in caedschat league today, I had a KK and increased 1k my opponent called and the flop hit a J4A my opponent moved all in and I called and turned into a 29 and he had a JJ and lost the game at the It beginning not reads well my opponent

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Awesome fold, I'm miles away of being a winner poker player. I'll keep trying

Thanks guys! :)

Rayrc: keep trying and I know you’ll get there! Thanks for your nice comment.

shanest

shanest

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
IE
Chips
Definitely vital to pay attention to bet sizing tells. Particularly in the CC freeroll games with some moderate to inexperienced players in the field they don't mask the strength of their holdings when opening pots.

acidburnfx

acidburnfx

Senior apprentice
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Awesome fold! Sometimes it might be interesting to just limp with KK. Now, knowing the profile of each one at the table is very important for you to make better decisions.

I

Index12

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm getting flashbacks from all the times I get my big pairs cracked. I also just got them cracked by a set of fives binked on the river in a flip. :( Also, what's the rationale behind limping here instead of raising if you don't mind me asking? Trapping?(which I like to do myself from time to time) Saving some chips for that hero fold?

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Wow the hand of KK incredibly well played, few players have the reading to play like this, great video, very didactic.

Ventoman777

Ventoman777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course, reading the hands of opponents is an important element in a successful poker game. If you learn to read the hands of your poker rivals correctly, you can assume that poker success is in your pocket. And this video really helps with that.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands