Range

M

Mikeloti13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Everybody needs to learn ranges. Its the range of cards your opponent can have at the specific position at the table. For instance if somebody raises from under the gun his range is up in the good cards, depending on a level of a player. Im not gonna explain anything about it here i just want you to go and search it up as there are a lot of videos and articles about this. It will most definitelly help you if you dont know anything about it.

ldw22

ldw22

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Adding to Mikeloti's message above, I'd advise that, while learning about how to recognise your opponents' raising/calling ranges from various positions and various stages of action, put a bit of thought intohow you can disguise your OWN playing ranges from your opponents. For example, it's not necessarily the worst thing in the world to play a VERY OCCASIONAL hand from UTG or UTG+1 with (e.g.) 89 suited, a low pair or A J offsuit, I.E. a hand that you would normally fold from early position but play from late seats. If you win the hand before showdown, well, you win the hand, that's always good! But if you get to showdown and show your cards then, whether or not you win the hand, your opponents will see that you entered the pot from early position with (relatively) weak hole cards, so from that point onward in the game they'll think that your playing ranges are wider than they really are.

M

Mikeloti13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Adding to Mikeloti's message above, I'd advise that, while learning about how to recognise your opponents' raising/calling ranges from various positions and various stages of action, put a bit of thought intohow you can disguise your OWN playing ranges from your opponents. For example, it's not necessarily the worst thing in the world to play a VERY OCCASIONAL hand from UTG or UTG+1 with (e.g.) 89 suited, a low pair or A J offsuit, I.E. a hand that you would normally fold from early position but play from late seats. If you win the hand before showdown, well, you win the hand, that's always good! But if you get to showdown and show your cards then, whether or not you win the hand, your opponents will see that you entered the pot from early position with (relatively) weak hole cards, so from that point onward in the game they'll think that your playing ranges are wider than they really are.

You added a valuable advice to my post. Thanks for making this forum a better place!

ldw22

ldw22

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You added a valuable advice to my post. Thanks for making this forum a better place!

Hey, thanks very much, I really appreciate that! All the best for 2020, hope you enjoy a full year of run-good... Unless we're ever seated at the same table! ;-)

B

bellicoso

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Both good advice here. I really enjoy reading posts like these. It helps reinforce my game. Best of luck to you all this upcoming year.

M

mrT

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ye i like to mix it up so i wont become so predictable,dont mind than showing weak hands at showdown(not to much offc)i want them to guess what i'm opening with so they call me easier when i really have it

thetick33

thetick33

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
one of biggest mistakes i see in poker is HERO overplaying hand so to speak when he has his OWN BLOCKERS regarding continuing play vs villian on a draw..... LEARN to see your own blockers so can simply fold the hand and move on !!!!!!! this is a skill most people regular players miss often and crushes their stacks and tournaments

ldw22

ldw22

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
one of biggest mistakes i see in poker is HERO overplaying hand so to speak when he has his OWN BLOCKERS regarding continuing play vs villian on a draw..... LEARN to see your own blockers so can simply fold the hand and move on !!!!!!! this is a skill most people regular players miss often and crushes their stacks and tournaments

Can you give us all a little more advice about this please? Possibly with one or two examples, to make it easy to understand?

J

JRTHEKING

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good poker players are five steps ahead of "range" and have moves that completely nullify "range." Books are nice for maintaining the status quo in your game. Thinking outside the book box and beyond is what makes a great player and it doesn't come from book learning and articles of which over half are utter garbage advice with recycled gibberish of no relevance.

thetick33

thetick33

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Blockers Defined

We've covered what a blocker is here in Strategy before. The term refers to a card in your hand that "blocks" potential hands your opponents could have.
For example, let's say you hold
8s.gif
8d.gif
and the flop comes
9s.gif
7h.gif
5d.gif
, giving you a gutshot straight draw. As you assess what your opponents might have, the two eights in your hand serve as blockers to potential straights, making it less likely other players could have
8x.gif
6x.gif
. They also block straight draws, that is, other
8x.gif
xx.gif
hands.
In truth, some hold'em players never think very much about blockers. Those at the lowest level who never think beyond their own hands obviously don't, but a lot of so-called "first-level thinkers" who do give some attention to what their opponents might be holding often don't focus too much on blockers when trying to imagine what an opponent might have.
a bad example of a blocker is qq with a jack high board yep your qq is blocking another queen and your better then the board PROBABLY but you are not blocking aa or kk... this is what im talking about when say sometimes people overplay their hands in this situation.....a huge mistake is when you do not have the ace high flush but just catch a flush....

is a lot of places online to get more information the thing i work on is figuring out villians blockers which might allow a bluff from the villian based on the board....this takes a lot of work and your looking at betting patterns which say he missed......i use this often when calling off... im usually right.... and im using theory from blockers.... i am still working on it but im starting to see it more in plo for cash where I can place a bad bet based on my whole cards and the board and im blocking self... is easier actually for me to see it on plo then in holdem.....