Raising Hands in Middle or Late Position With Limpers

B

BustingAces

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Depending on the table I have my standard preflop range of cards I play. Say I'm in middle position on a fullring table that is passive with limpers trying to see a cheap flop.

If first to act in middle position say my preflop opening betting range is 88+, ATs+, AJ+, KQs+

My Questions:
1. If there are limpers before me should I still be raising with this range?
2. If there's a min raise should I call with this range?
3. Is this a good MP range?

Thanks!

Alex Sentsov

Alex Sentsov

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Don't play garbage. It's easier to throw. Expensive flops don't open even with good cards.

Bogdan Pyts

Bogdan Pyts

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1) Yes, but reraise should fold the lower part of its range, I hope it is not necessary to explain what the lower part of the range
2) if there is minimal raise, then on the basis of power arms, mediocre hands A10s, KJs, small pocket pair call premium hands should play through 3bet
3) your range is not bad, for the middle positions, AJo, I think a raise from under the gun, I would have folded)
Well here is built on the basis of opponents' range

K

karl coakley

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you are at a passive table with constant limping expect 1 or 2 calls even on a re-raise. This is not a good situation if you don't narrow your range a lot. Even AA is not great when you get 3 handed.

Play tighter and use bigger raises to get the most profit from your premium hands.

I

iFishForFlush

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That situation per say may seem scary, but yes you still want to be raising, probably in this case at least 7/8x the bb I would say, depends on the limit you're playing also, and the players involved.

B

braveslice

Pull-ups!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This are hard question(s) to answer for a play in my level, and I only have some ideas.

If they call mostly (as is the case usually), you should raise with hands that play well post flop. CB is mostly useless against these players, don’t forget that. So maybe 88 and 99 are not part of raising range, TT is if you think you can handle the post flop play. Rest medium hands I think you can either raise or call, depending your preferred playing style, calling with ATs hoping to hit monster is multiway pot is totally ok, as is raising with it pre. For calling range it’s best to include also so called multiway hands, hands that flop a monster, classical example of this might be TJs, but also all pairs. Reason why this works, compared to what higher lever player say, is that limpers are getting stacks in more lightly than non-limpers, also they usually just like to play passively TPBK and flush draws so there is not too much pressure in postflop play to you to be aggressive. Just be careful to note player after you are not aggressive to push you out of the hand, if you get a raise from typical player he has a monster and you can happily fold without making any mistake by limping, if by aggro you fold mostly a better hand.

If you can isolate limper, you should raise with the range you provided, and even add there a bit more hands.

Last edited:
Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands