Raise,re raise!

Erik moraes

Erik moraes

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
when to re raise? in position or with good cards?

Dejange

Dejange

CC Delija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
Good cards! Most of the opponents at the table do not pay attention onto position :top:

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
Depends on how often they call or fold to the re-raise.

If the often fold: bluff and semi-bluff more.

If they often call: re-raise more with value hands (compared to their range).

If they often bluff themselves but fold to a re-raise - just call or re-bluff or be happy to take it down (depending how they continue, how big pot and stacks are and how many players that can act).

Position is always nice to have. So if you don't call down a bluffer, in general you want to play bigger pots in position - one reason besides information is that you can control pot-size more on later streets (regardless if you value-bet, bluff , call or give up).

Alex70793

Alex70793

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For example, a player from an early position makes a bet, after him the player raises, the most positive for us is to re-raise with a strong hand, because with a very high probability one player will have a strong hand and he will call or he will re-raise or all-in, it happens, very rarely but it happens, you need to provide all options. In general, the re-raise should be done with a strong hand, AQ, AK, QQ, KK, AA.

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I try to raise again only with good cards, it is better to raise with good cards and you will have more chances to win so that you continue playing in the tournament, so be careful and take less risks with a bad card, I wish you good luck!

Edgerik

Edgerik

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Re raise with hands like AA KK QQ AKs, with these hands the position for me is not very important, it gives me good results if I want to put all in.

Eric Salvador

Eric Salvador

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is situation like many in poker where it depends on the table dynamics, player patterns and stack depth. I personally would raise position over cards with plans to represent a hand and allow myself with the proper board texture to take down the hand

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends on what you're trying to achieve at the time. I don't raise/re-raise as a matter of course, but rather need a specific reason. Usually it's because I want to reduce the number of players who are going to see the flop. But, in some games that's a fool's errand cuz very few are going to fold.

Post-flop it's usually to maximize the amount of money I'm going to win and to secure commitment. There's nothing worse than getting to the river with the absolute nuts and only pocket change in the middle.

G

ggteam2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on your reputation and first of all on the tourney and the stage you played in. If the field is weak don't be creative, just play solid. I rarely can see re-raises that forces your opponent to give up. And you have to understand that if you have leading hand than you can re-raise for sure to make your opponents to pay you more.

thetick33

thetick33

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
not enough info first is this mtt or cash game.... cash game i want to see flops so id just smooth call unless have pockets then is going to depend on size of pockets and history with villians....

if mtt aa kk qq im shoving no matter what.... but then is a lot of questions i have.... raise reraise to me is others still avail to play behind me? how do these two players play can i get them off by shoving? etc... ak for me id probably toss unless had a big big stack etc... too many variables but for me its who are these two players and who else will act behind me

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Thank U 4 Posting.

When we first learn to play poker we raise based on our hand alone.

We then learn to evaluate players, situations and hand ranges. We get good at defining hand ranges flop, turn and river therefore we can bluff more often. As we begin bluffing more often we learn that we can use raising earlier in hands to create a false range of our hands in our villains minds that allow us to bluff on later streets.

Example.

Loose weak villain raises mid position. No callers.
We are in CO with 6c5c. Few players would consider these good cards.
We 3 bet villain to get heads up.
Why?
What do we need to know to do this profitably?
What sizing?
What is our plan if this bet isolates weak villain?
What is our plan if it does not isolate?

What flop boards are good for us without hitting us?
How many streets must we bet to get villain to fold to a bluff?
Which streets do we need to bet to get a fold?
What actions might villain take that we can use against villain when bluffing?

A good exercise to do away from the table is to take the time to type out the full range of hands that you would 3 bet in CO vs this villain.

Now type out the full range of hands the villain expects you to have and why they would expect that range?

When you can answer these questions and realize there are many more that I did not ask you will know when to raise with more than just good hands.

Hope this helps
:):)

leogetz79

leogetz79

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i would say a little of both. and waht is your table acting like

kraemer

kraemer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Only with good cards...
The thing is that in Holdem position is so important that "good cards" can mean very different things depending on your position.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The simple answer is raise when you want them to fold or when you want to build the pot.