QQ fail...can i have your input on this hand?

M

Mdf1992

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi All,

So I just got done playing a hand (on ignition 2c/5c) in which I started with QcQh on the button.

Villain limps in. I raise to 10c. Villain calls.

Flop is 8d 8s 2d.

Awesome.

Villain checks. I bet 25c.

Villain calls.

Hm. Okay. What could he have? For some reason, in my head, at the time, I think the only thing I assumed was that he had a high card like an Ace or a King and was hoping to catch it. I don't know why I only considered or thought about that. Maybe I was just overconfident with the Queens and just didn't spend much time thinking he might have actually had something, seeing as how crappy the flop was. Also, I think I just in general have trouble believing, in a situation like that, that somebody has something. I guess I maybe feel like people are always bluffing me or something. Honestly I forget what I was thinking in the moment. I think mainly, I was just very confident in my Queens (maybe that's the whole problem).

With him calling, should I have put him on an 8 right there? Isn't that quite low likelihood?

Anyway, so now the turn comes and it is a 6 of spades.

Great. I had planned to bet, but now villain bets out before me! 15c.

...which now looking back at it, is kind of fishy. But in the moment, I thought that it was a weak bet that he was trying to take the lead on deciding how much he would be willing to pay to see the next card...or something like that. Again, maybe I was just overconfident in my Queens. So i re-raise him to 30c, and then he re-raises to 45c. Now again, looking back now, I should have probably put him on something like 8s or aces or kings at this point? Again, I think what was going on in my head at the time was more of he's trying to steal the pot or something. Also, I think I overcategorize people as bluffing too much...Anyway, I call the 45.

3 of hearts on the river. Still great for me. This means that no flush. So he has to have aces or kings or somehow like a two pair or I guess an 8. Low likelihood, I thought, but anyway he comes out big with a 53c bet. I call. And he has A8 and wins the pot.

Where did I go wrong? I really need to start believing people more. I think I just always think, esp. online at such low stakes, that people are bluffing. So I think that is leak #1 of mine. And then leak #2 is, I think, being overconfident/married to my strong hands?

IDK! Where the hell did I go wrong?

Thanks in advance for any input!
Mark

M

moshie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you get min clicked back on the turn , he's value betting you , he telling you
he has a 8. Most good regs bet out on the turn because they don't want you check back
on the turn if you are pot controlling with an over pair. Do you think you can get 3 streets of value with your hand from a good player?
When he bets out on the river, his size is what he figures you will call off with an over pair.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First, you should be raising more pre flop in this scenario then just the min raise. If villain limps and you have want to raise in a cash game it should be at least 3.5x in this spot and probably more like 4-5x to punish any limper. Their call does not mean anything since you only min raised it but if you had made it 20 or 25 cents then their call would start to tell you a little something about their hand.

On the flop you bet almost pot (I get 25 cents into a 27 cent pot) which on this board is too much. He should not have connected too much and we would want to keep some of his crap that he might float with in the hand. I am not a good cash game player so I cant recommend a good sizing but I would think somewhere around 50-60% of pot would be just fine. The call here should start to tell you something. Could be the villain is just a floater but not likely. Most often with this call they have some pocket pair of do in fact have the 8.

On the turn when they lead it is weird and not something that I would recommend anyone to do but it would make me wonder what it means. Sometimes you see this when people have draws and they are trying to lower the price of seeing the next card. However, there arent really any draws here since I doubt villain is calling a pot sized flop bet with 97 or 75. This lead would make me think they have something like pocket pairs 4s through 7s minus the 6s. The raise you made is the right idea but the wrong execution. If you are going to raise there is should be to at least 40 cents but more like 45 or 50 cents. When villain re raises our raise thats when I first start to think we are beat. I would just call that raise as played since we are getting great pot odds and would not re-raise it.

On the river then I would be looking to get to showdown as cheaply as possible since I would fear an 8 with the turn action. If the villain bet large on the river I would lean towards folding. That could be wrong and maybe why I get beat up in cash normally but calling a pot sized on the flop and raising our raise on the turn has to mean something. We can't just discount it like it is nothing.

M

Mdf1992

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First, you should be raising more pre flop in this scenario then just the min raise. If villain limps and you have want to raise in a cash game it should be at least 3.5x in this spot and probably more like 4-5x to punish any limper. Their call does not mean anything since you only min raised it but if you had made it 20 or 25 cents then their call would start to tell you a little something about their hand.

On the flop you bet almost pot (I get 25 cents into a 27 cent pot) which on this board is too much. He should not have connected too much and we would want to keep some of his crap that he might float with in the hand. I am not a good cash game player so I cant recommend a good sizing but I would think somewhere around 50-60% of pot would be just fine. The call here should start to tell you something. Could be the villain is just a floater but not likely. Most often with this call they have some pocket pair of do in fact have the 8.

On the turn when they lead it is weird and not something that I would recommend anyone to do but it would make me wonder what it means. Sometimes you see this when people have draws and they are trying to lower the price of seeing the next card. However, there arent really any draws here since I doubt villain is calling a pot sized flop bet with 97 or 75. This lead would make me think they have something like pocket pairs 4s through 7s minus the 6s. The raise you made is the right idea but the wrong execution. If you are going to raise there is should be to at least 40 cents but more like 45 or 50 cents. When villain re raises our raise thats when I first start to think we are beat. I would just call that raise as played since we are getting great pot odds and would not re-raise it.

On the river then I would be looking to get to showdown as cheaply as possible since I would fear an 8 with the turn action. If the villain bet large on the river I would lean towards folding. That could be wrong and maybe why I get beat up in cash normally but calling a pot sized on the flop and raising our raise on the turn has to mean something. We can't just discount it like it is nothing.

My man, what a beautiful breakdown from your point of view. I so appreciate the detail of your input on each step. I think you are right in that what the hell was I doing only raising to 10c pre-flop! It's like that doesn't really accomplish anything (as far as understanding what they might have) other than starting to slowly build a pot, because it is so cheap, they might as well throw in another 5c! So I probably could have avoided this big loss if I made the right move there!

And ahh, my bet being too big on the flop totally makes sense. He shouldn't have connected on anything (and if he did, I'd still be in good position), so why even scare him away at this point. Gotcha!

And ahh, yeah, my re-raise on the turn should have been higher...yes, that makes sense...

And gotcha, yes that makes sense as far as trying to get a showdown as cheap as possible.

I guess there were just a lot of mistakes here, well actually probably a big mistake to start with (in giving him such a cheap flop of only 5c more...).

It's really nice to hear another's point of view!

You're the man.

Mark

M

Mdf1992

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you get min clicked back on the turn , he's value betting you , he telling you
he has a 8. Most good regs bet out on the turn because they don't want you check back
on the turn if you are pot controlling with an over pair. Do you think you can get 3 streets of value with your hand from a good player?
When he bets out on the river, his size is what he figures you will call off with an over pair.

Gotcha! Yeah...I guess that was definitely where it got suspicious...and instead of always assuming that my opponents are bluffing, I should start to be cautious if they continue to call and/or raise...Ugh.

Thank you man.
Mark

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good analysis and good feedback so far. Here are a few things I'll contribute:

Starting off, pocket Queens is surely a premium hand. Typically, you will want to be raising preflop with this hand and getting value. 2x is on the smaller side if you bet preflop, but it is what it is. It all depends on other factors like my play-style, table image and how loose the table is playing. At really loose tables, I'll sometimes even limp in with Pocket Queens to trap; on later streets the check-raise becomes a powerful tool. However, this line is not the default; playing straight-forward poker, we want to bet for value on our premium hand and discourage hands (like A-8) from continuing, so at least 3x is the standard raise size.

Flop: The 8-8-Deuce flop is usually good for us. We flop a strong 2 pair and our opponent(s) are unlikely to connect with this dry flop. The only big concern here is if they have an 8 in their hand, but two are on the board, so there are only two left out there; it is unlikely they have an 8, but it is a reasonable hand that is ahead of us. Sure, they could have pocket Kings or Aces, but I find this less likely; remember the preflop action. You min raised and they flat called only. Some players are naturally "trappy" by personality, but K-K and A-A usually aren't played this way. If they had K-K or A-A, then they would probably re-raise you to get value as well as to prevent you from continuing cheaply with hands like A-8 yourself. For this reasoning, I don't think Villain has pocket Kings or Aces here and the 8 is very unlikely but on my radar.

Also note that if your opponent does show aggression at this flop, they could be value betting many worse hands - namely a Deuce or lower pocket pair than Queens. There are also 2 diamonds out there, so aggression many also be a semi-bluff: especially if it is to a strong flush. Most of their range, we are way ahead of and so I would be happy with this spot.

Now they checked, you bet 25c and they called. This is significant in my eyes. There are many reasons to check here (obviously checking with 3 of a kind in 8's to give you rope, but they may also just be at a check-fold scenario or trying to see cards cheaply maybe even with a weaker to mid - flush draw), but I think there are many reasons to bet. The 8-8-2 flop is what I call a "hit or miss" flop because players will either hit this flop hard (like flopping trips) or completely miss it. For this reason, if I was Villain, I'd be tempted to bet myself - there is a good chance you missed the flop as well and I may take down the pot right there. Also worth noting that you only min. raised: this doesn't usually represent a premium hand like Q-Q, so they may be more likely to put you on an 8 or a 2.

The biggest alarm bells for me is when they check-call because they are usually saying "hey, I've got something." Granted, we are usually ahead of this something, but they are indicating they rarely have nothing, so Ace-high hands is something I'd probably decide they do not have by this point. I am putting them on a Deuce or trip 8 hand here, with few semi-bluffs to the flush, but they are playing the draw passively if that is what they have.

Turn: 6s The six of spades is another good card for us. It likely changes nothing and our range is probably still ahead. What is surprising is that they bet out into you here. The 6 changes little, but a Deuce hand will probably not lead out this way on the Turn. We should also note that you are on the Button, so they are always out of position here. Leading out makes little sense to get you to fold. You min.raised preflop and then bet the flop. They must realize they probably are not going to get you to fold many hands here; this signals that they are value betting. What hands would they value bet? The 8 (although unlikely) looks like the best candidate. I know it is hard to use hand reading when I know the hand result, but I really would put them on an 8 at this point. Probably A-8 or maybe K-8, or even two diamonds for a flush draw, but this is even less likely now. Important is also that the 8 of diamonds is on the flop. If they had two diamonds in their hole cards, then the 8 of diamonds would give good reason to continue, but they can't have this because that card is accounted for.

Now when you re-raise and get re-raised back, we must ask ourselves how often this player aggressively makes moves like this. If they have been playing solid so far, then they are probably never bluffing here based on how the hand was played. In fact, would they even have K-8 here? You've shown decent aggression so far, so you may have an 8 as well (from their perspective). Why would they go into this raise battle if you may have 3 of a kind? It sounds like they specifically have A-8. Again, I really would put them on this in real time (hand reading and psychology I consider a strength of my game), but hand reading is like anything else: everyone can get better with practice and it becomes easier with repetition.

The River 3 made little difference and you ended up seeing the bad news with the 8 in their hand. As others mentioned, maybe you could have forced hands like A-8 out with a larger open-raise - but of course hindsight is 20/20.

Also, I want to mention that open-raising larger is more straight-forward poker, but it is not the only solid way to play. Daniel Negreanu's "small ball" approach comes to mind as one solid exception. In his approach, he is probably still open-raising premium hands like Q-Q, but he also may limp in more with strong hands to balance when he limps in with weaker holdings. I am not recommending the "small ball" approach here, but I just want to illustrate that open-raising bigger isn't the ONLY solid way to play: just the standard solid approach. With "small ball" he is relying heavily on his hand reading and post-flop play (normally seen as harder elements of poker to master) and entering many pots with the intent of keeping the pots small. His approach will seldom win big pots, but I mention this play-style because I wanted to highlight how even this play style would realize that Q-Q was something you may want to fold when they check-called the dry flop and then the raise-reraise scenario later.

I liked your analysis though and so hopefully my addition was seen as building off of that foundation. It is never fun losing, but I can also understand why you would want to just call them off with Q-Q. You had a premium hand that was hard to fold and you were ahead of most of their range. It is sometimes better to call them off when you don't believe them than fold way too often to aggression; this is especially true at lower stakes when many maniacs and fish play because they will bluff too often.

I am curious, what was villain's table image in your eyes? This hand is a situation where I would greatly go from what I've observed them play so far. If they played other hands like this one, then I know they are a good player at this table and I may give them way more credit for their hands. If they were splashing chips left and right, then I would be more inclined to call them off with Q-Q like you did. If you were newer to the table (or villain just arrived a short while ago) then there is little you can go from, but if the game had been going on for a while, then perhaps you should be more aware of how everyone is playing, even when you are not in the hand.

Hope my analysis helps :)

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
p.s. Hope you don't mind in-depth responses; my post was much longer than I thought I was going to write when I started :D

M

Mdf1992

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good analysis and good feedback so far. Here are a few things I'll contribute:

Starting off, pocket Queens is surely a premium hand. Typically, you will want to be raising preflop with this hand and getting value. 2x is on the smaller side if you bet preflop, but it is what it is. It all depends on other factors like my play-style, table image and how loose the table is playing. At really loose tables, I'll sometimes even limp in with Pocket Queens to trap; on later streets the check-raise becomes a powerful tool. However, this line is not the default; playing straight-forward poker, we want to bet for value on our premium hand and discourage hands (like A-8) from continuing, so at least 3x is the standard raise size.

Flop: The 8-8-Deuce flop is usually good for us. We flop a strong 2 pair and our opponent(s) are unlikely to connect with this dry flop. The only big concern here is if they have an 8 in their hand, but two are on the board, so there are only two left out there; it is unlikely they have an 8, but it is a reasonable hand that is ahead of us. Sure, they could have pocket Kings or Aces, but I find this less likely; remember the preflop action. You min raised and they flat called only. Some players are naturally "trappy" by personality, but K-K and A-A usually aren't played this way. If they had K-K or A-A, then they would probably re-raise you to get value as well as to prevent you from continuing cheaply with hands like A-8 yourself. For this reasoning, I don't think Villain has pocket Kings or Aces here and the 8 is very unlikely but on my radar.

Also note that if your opponent does show aggression at this flop, they could be value betting many worse hands - namely a Deuce or lower pocket pair than Queens. There are also 2 diamonds out there, so aggression many also be a semi-bluff: especially if it is to a strong flush. Most of their range, we are way ahead of and so I would be happy with this spot.

Now they checked, you bet 25c and they called. This is significant in my eyes. There are many reasons to check here (obviously checking with 3 of a kind in 8's to give you rope, but they may also just be at a check-fold scenario or trying to see cards cheaply maybe even with a weaker to mid - flush draw), but I think there are many reasons to bet. The 8-8-2 flop is what I call a "hit or miss" flop because players will either hit this flop hard (like flopping trips) or completely miss it. For this reason, if I was Villain, I'd be tempted to bet myself - there is a good chance you missed the flop as well and I may take down the pot right there. Also worth noting that you only min. raised: this doesn't usually represent a premium hand like Q-Q, so they may be more likely to put you on an 8 or a 2.

The biggest alarm bells for me is when they check-call because they are usually saying "hey, I've got something." Granted, we are usually ahead of this something, but they are indicating they rarely have nothing, so Ace-high hands is something I'd probably decide they do not have by this point. I am putting them on a Deuce or trip 8 hand here, with few semi-bluffs to the flush, but they are playing the draw passively if that is what they have.

Turn: 6s The six of spades is another good card for us. It likely changes nothing and our range is probably still ahead. What is surprising is that they bet out into you here. The 6 changes little, but a Deuce hand will probably not lead out this way on the Turn. We should also note that you are on the Button, so they are always out of position here. Leading out makes little sense to get you to fold. You min.raised preflop and then bet the flop. They must realize they probably are not going to get you to fold many hands here; this signals that they are value betting. What hands would they value bet? The 8 (although unlikely) looks like the best candidate. I know it is hard to use hand reading when I know the hand result, but I really would put them on an 8 at this point. Probably A-8 or maybe K-8, or even two diamonds for a flush draw, but this is even less likely now. Important is also that the 8 of diamonds is on the flop. If they had two diamonds in their hole cards, then the 8 of diamonds would give good reason to continue, but they can't have this because that card is accounted for.

Now when you re-raise and get re-raised back, we must ask ourselves how often this player aggressively makes moves like this. If they have been playing solid so far, then they are probably never bluffing here based on how the hand was played. In fact, would they even have K-8 here? You've shown decent aggression so far, so you may have an 8 as well (from their perspective). Why would they go into this raise battle if you may have 3 of a kind? It sounds like they specifically have A-8. Again, I really would put them on this in real time (hand reading and psychology I consider a strength of my game), but hand reading is like anything else: everyone can get better with practice and it becomes easier with repetition.

The River 3 made little difference and you ended up seeing the bad news with the 8 in their hand. As others mentioned, maybe you could have forced hands like A-8 out with a larger open-raise - but of course hindsight is 20/20.

Also, I want to mention that open-raising larger is more straight-forward poker, but it is not the only solid way to play. Daniel Negreanu's "small ball" approach comes to mind as one solid exception. In his approach, he is probably still open-raising premium hands like Q-Q, but he also may limp in more with strong hands to balance when he limps in with weaker holdings. I am not recommending the "small ball" approach here, but I just want to illustrate that open-raising bigger isn't the ONLY solid way to play: just the standard solid approach. With "small ball" he is relying heavily on his hand reading and post-flop play (normally seen as harder elements of poker to master) and entering many pots with the intent of keeping the pots small. His approach will seldom win big pots, but I mention this play-style because I wanted to highlight how even this play style would realize that Q-Q was something you may want to fold when they check-called the dry flop and then the raise-reraise scenario later.

I liked your analysis though and so hopefully my addition was seen as building off of that foundation. It is never fun losing, but I can also understand why you would want to just call them off with Q-Q. You had a premium hand that was hard to fold and you were ahead of most of their range. It is sometimes better to call them off when you don't believe them than fold way too often to aggression; this is especially true at lower stakes when many maniacs and fish play because they will bluff too often.

I am curious, what was villain's table image in your eyes? This hand is a situation where I would greatly go from what I've observed them play so far. If they played other hands like this one, then I know they are a good player at this table and I may give them way more credit for their hands. If they were splashing chips left and right, then I would be more inclined to call them off with Q-Q like you did. If you were newer to the table (or villain just arrived a short while ago) then there is little you can go from, but if the game had been going on for a while, then perhaps you should be more aware of how everyone is playing, even when you are not in the hand.

Hope my analysis helps :)

Wow. Thank you so much for this. I can't tell you how helpful this is for me.

How you were able to take AA or KK off because they only called my min-raise.

And how you then took them off Ace high when they check-called (because that probably indicates that they have something).

And especially this: "You min.raised preflop and then bet the flop. They must realize they probably are not going to get you to fold many hands here; this signals that they are value betting." This is a brilliant insight and point of view for me. Sure, nothing is ever certain and it depends on a lot of factors, like you mention, but i really like this take. He has seen me continue to bet, so he knows I probably won't fold. Now I guess my question would be: why wouldn't he just continue to check and then call my raise? It would probably be more secretive? Idk. I mean, I'm sure he thought I was going to raise again, so why bet into me here? In any case, like I said, I love your take on this part! And very helpful to know that you would, in fact, put them on an 8 at this point...

And wow: "Now when you re-raise and get re-raised back, we must ask ourselves how often this player aggressively makes moves like this. If they have been playing solid so far, then they are probably never bluffing here based on how the hand was played. In fact, would they even have K-8 here? You've shown decent aggression so far, so you may have an 8 as well (from their perspective). Why would they go into this raise battle if you may have 3 of a kind? It sounds like they specifically have A-8." I never thought of this...That's amazing that you, right here, have pretty much read their hand. Based off of my aggressiveness, I could potentially have an 8, so you're saying that they must have the prime (Ace) kicker with the 8. Wow. Okay.

And man, thank you for mentioning that sometimes, depending on a lot of factors, it would be good to play small-ball or to sometimes limp in with strong hands. That's the way I feel sometimes because I tend to play pretty tight and fold a lot of hands, so if I have folded 7 times in a row and then come out with a big pre-flop bet, I feel like I'll scare everyone away. So I tend to limp in a good amount or yeah sometimes I will bbX3 bet my stronger hands...

And thanks for saying that you liked my analysis and understand where I was coming from (as a newbie) in this situation. With all of the cards alone and no betting or signaling, clearly my hand does very well on this board, but I should have accounted for signals in his betting and actually start to believe people (especially if they seem like good players and not crazy loose players, like you said).

As for villains table image, honestly man I'm not sure. I play on ignition 2c/5c and people are coming and going from the table so often that it is hard to keep track (and there are no usernames. it is all anonymous: p1, p2, etc, so it's even harder to keep track). But I still do pay attention to players, and it makes a whole lot of sense that the players image would play HUGELY into this decision here. So thanks for mentioning that too.

Cheers bro!
Mark

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
...Now I guess my question would be: why wouldn't he just continue to check and then call my raise? It would probably be more secretive? Idk. I mean, I'm sure he thought I was going to raise again, so why bet into me here? In any case, like I said, I love your take on this part!...

This is possible if they view you as a really loose player and can be really certain you are going to bet big. The play you describe is often called "trapping" in poker. However, trapping (as effective as it can be at select times) is not the default play to make here with solid and straight-forward poker. Good poker players are not going to overthink things too dramatically like in the movies (usually anyway, sometimes everyone overthinks things at some point) and will typically play pretty straight-forward; the simple way to win at poker is by making a strong hand and value betting it.

They did good to bet into you from their perspective. Why? Few reasons. First of all, (as noted) they are not 100% sure you will continue betting, but they are certain to get chips into the pot if they bet themselves.Secondly, if they raise, there is always the chance that they will get re-raised and they are probably trying to provoke you to put as many chips in as possible when they have 3 of a kind with an Ace kicker here. Third, (connected to the last reason) is because aggression is usually preferred in poker since it gives you an "extra way to win." What I mean is that if they take the route of check calling, then they can only win by having the best hand at showdown. However, if they are betting (showing aggression), then they now have two ways to win instead of one. They can win at showdown, or they can win instantly when you fold. By them betting, it offers another chance for them to win the pot (you folding). From their point of view, getting you to fold is still a result they are happy with. If you get to showdown, there is always the slim (or not so small depending on the board and action) chance that they are beat even with three of a kind, but getting you to fold instantly wins 100% of the time.

Hopefully this makes sense and my posts are not too detailed (don't want to bore you either xD). Aggression works both ways too. Not only will it work for your opponent, but it will also work for you! If you ever have a strong hand, then you will usually do best to value bet that hand. The "trapping" play you suggested can be a strong weapon when done in moderation (if it was done all the time, then it isn't really as secretive and loses its surprise value/effectiveness), but our default play with a strong hand is to bet it. :)

psanto

psanto

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I got into some trouble with Queens too. And I was able to put it all before the flop with 3 players.
I didn't have much info about my adversaries. I was on the SB, first vilain in MP puts 2BB, CO raises to 3BB and BT goes all in (13BB). Then, I went all in (29BB), both of two behind me covering my stack and they call.
MP has KJ, CO has AT and the button has 99. The end is the usual: A on the turn.:(
I see that QQ is kind a limit, it isn't always clear what is the best move, go all in with QQ or tribet, 4bet and fold.
What's your opinion?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It would be nice, if you had posted the actual hand history in the hand review forum, but at least you have given most of the relevant information, so I will try to recontruct it myself. And I do think, there is quite a lot to talk about here.

Preflop
Against a limper you made a min-raise, and this is the first big mistake. You want people to make a mistake, when they call you, and they are not doing that, when you give them such amazing odds. Its also almost a miracle, that noone from the blinds called as well. The minimum betsize here is 4BB, and honestly you can easily to larger than this and still get lots of calls from worse hands at 5NL. I typically go to 4,5BB, and even more will also get called. And even if they fold, thats fine as well. You pick up the pot uncontested, and it allows you to have bluffs or at least less premium hands in your range. like maybe KJo or A4s.

Flop
Ok so pot was 27c and you bet 25c on 882 2-tone. Now you are betting to much, because this is pretty much a way ahead way behind situation. He either has an 8, and then he is way ahead, or he have some kind of pocket pair or absolutely nothing, and then he is way behind. You should pick a sizing here, which put A high and K high in a tough spot. Around half pot or even less on a board, which is this difficult to hit. This also allow you to not risk so much, when you are bluffing.

Turn
Pot was 77c, board was 882-6 3-tone, and now Villain lead for 15c. Ok this is pretty funky, and it does look like a blocker bet, so I am on board with raising this up, but for the third time your sizing is absolutely terrible, and this time its to small. You should make it like 60-70c here. Make him pay to draw to that flush, make him pay with a worse pocket pair. Instead you click it to 30c, and now he click again to 45c. At this point alarm bells should certainly be going on, but at the same time you can not fold for 15c into a pot of 1,37$, so you need to make this call.

River
Pot was 1,67$ and he lead for 53c on 882-6-3 no flush possible. You are getting better than 4:1, you need to be good less than 1 in 5 times. Tough to say, how often you are actually good, but for this price your hand is simply to good to fold. So have to make the call, even though its kind of a crying call. For sure its never a raise.

Conclusion
I actually dont think, you lost to much in this hand, but your bet sizing was absolutely terrible on all streets. The only thing, you got right, was changing to bluff catching mode and just calling him down, when he 3-bet you on the turn and lead the river. Even though it was silly sizing, its his actions, that matter, and these actions did strongly suggest, you were probably beat. Which in fact you were.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands