Putting Opponents On Starting Ranges

Z

Zer0-0uts

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Right now I am working on hand reading. The first thing I need to do is learn what someone's starting range might be for any given situation on any given day at any given table. There is a lot of variables, but poker is a game of variables.

Some of the many things we need to consider when trying to put an opponent on a range are is the opponent loose or tight, what is their position at the table, what was the action before it got to them, what they did when it got to them, and on and on and on.... Obviously there is so much to consider. I think to put a person on a hand we have to be able to categorize the many possible different kind of hands that might be playing and how they might play with each particular hand. This thread will be the first of a few that I am going to start. Each thread will explore starting hands and how someone might approach entering a pot with them. I am basically trying to get an ideas from everyone. This isn’t about what you or I should enter a pot with pre flop, but what the others at the table are entering with.
In this first thread I want to talk about the hands people tend to limp in with. I want to talk about the hands that people tend to limp in with and why they might do so with each individual hand. First let me get into the meat and potatoes of this thread by looking at the ranges I have already thought of. Now the following ranges are by no means "All the Ranges." They are just what I thought of right off hand. Let's get into this...

Common Limp Range Hands

The first group of hands that people limp with, I will call Common Limp range hands. The hands that fit into this category are the hands that people are limping in with the most. This is not to say that a skilled, deceptive player is not going to switch things up on you to keep you guessing by limping sometimes and raising others. They will. This is just to say that the majority of low stakes poker players are not that complex and they tend to display patterns to their games. You can exploit their betting patterns and this just happens to be one of those patterns. These are the hands that I have found people most commonly limp with.

Suited Connectors
The first thing I think of when someone limps in is they might be holding suited connectors. The reason for this should be fairly obvious. Suited connectors are not by any means a powerhouse hand before the flop, but they have a huge potential if the poker gods are smiling upon you during the flop. People usually do not want to get too much money invested pre flop with suited connectors because most of the times they will be worthless after the flop. People like to limp with suited connectors.
Broadway Off Suit When I say Broadway cards I am speaking of Face cards, and usually they will be off suit when they are limped in to the pot. There is a bit more value in suited Broadway so people tend to raise more with suited Broadway than with off suit. That is not to say that people won’t limp in with Broadway suited, they will.

Small Pocket Pairs
This is also a hand that has some potential, but they do not hold much value on their own for the same reasons that suited connectors do not hold much value pre flop. People love to limp into a pot with baby pairs trying to flop a nicely disguised set.

Ace Rag
Ah yes the good ol' Ace Rag. I do not condone limping in with ace rag. I do not condone raises with ace rag. In fact I will not play ace rag unless there is some sort of strangeness going on that justifies doing so on a rare occasion. Let's face it though people do limp in with ace rag a lot more than they should. Because of this I believe Ace Rag should be thrown in with the commonly limped hand ranges.

Playable Trash Hands
When I say playable trash hands I am generally talking about hands that, although might show a profit on occasion in the right situation they, tend to be more trouble than they are worth. None the less people play them, and quite often too. Playable trash hands will include hands like K10, K9, Q10, Q9, J9. Lets face it people play the shit out of these hands, and if I didn't include them in this category I would be missing a large group of staring hand ranges that people limp in with.

SuitedOne Gappers
I am not going to spend that much time writing about these cards because they are pretty much just like the suited connectors that I already mentioned with the exception that they are harder to make a hand with post flop than their bigger brother suited connectors. Suited one gap hands are more deceptive than suited connectors when they do connect. People do limp in with them enough to mention them here.

Less Common Limping Hand Ranges
The next group of hands that you will see people limping in with are hands that a lot of people limp in with a lot of times, but there are also many people who will raise with these hands a lot of times. Of course there are a lot of people who will change things up and limp an equal amount of times as the raise with these hands. These hands are hands that tend to have more pre flop value than the most common limping range cards, but they can be scary to raise with pre flop because sometimes there are over cards on the board after the flop, or sometimes the hands in this category do not connect with the board after the flop, or for whatever reason they just tend to cause some problems for people after the flop. As I said though these cards do carry some weight, they do win at the showdown quite a bit so you will see people bringing these cards a good amount of the time, but quite a few people still love to limp with these cards.

Ace Suited
People love to limp with this hand. They love to limp so much that I almost put them in the most common category. I am putting them on the top of the less common category though because they are also raised with a lot just because someone has an Ace in their hand.

Medium Pairs
These include cards like 7s on up to Queens for some, or maybe only up to Jacks, or who knows what each individual considers a medium pair to be, but you get the idea. A medium pair is a hand that could end up being top pair on the flop, but there very well can be one, two, or even three over cards on the board after the flop. There are many situations where the right thing to do with these cards pre flop is to raise. There are plenty of situations and reasons people might also choose to limp in with hands like these.

Ace Boardway Little
Ace Broadway little are the hands A10 and Ace Jack. A good majority of the time you will see people raising with these starting hands pre flop, but a good majority of people limp with these hands pre flop too. That is why I chose to put them at the end of the less common limping hands category.

Hands That Are Usually Raised With But Sometimes Limped With
Ah yes, last but not least. These are the hands that the majority of people will raise with the majority of the time. Sometimes people like to limp in with these hands for added deception and to trap unsuspecting opponents. These are your AA, KK, AK and AQ hands. People do not usually limp with these hands, but sometimes someone will limp right in setting a trap and then BOOM! the next thing you know the trap is sprung.

This is what I have come up with as my general guide when I see a person limp into a pot. I run all these hands through as their possible staring hand, and then when the flop comes I watch to see what the limper does and what the texture of the flop is. Then I use this information to rule out some of the possibilities. I do the same on each subsequent street and then I try to make my best guess as to what someone is holding and I make my decision as to if I should raise, call or fold based on all the information I have, and what I think they might hold.

What do you think? Have I missed any of the more common limping hands? Should I change the order of the hands, or change any of the hands into diffent categories?

Z

Zer0-0uts

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
BUMP! I can not believe no one has said anything in response to this post. This should make for a good forum thread/discussion. Come on people let's hear it. What do you think?

I

iAmBadAtPoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with these. I play very low stakes (2nl,freeroll) and from what ive seen some extremely loose villains will limp with any two suited cards sort of like a flush mining attempt.usually right after theyve lost a big pot. I try to take notes on a player who will limp in with hands like 72s and try to isolate. With position aainst players like this i will usualy raise big with my medium pairs and usually value bet if the flop is rainbow,even if there are overcards.

Figaroo2

Figaroo2

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not sure what point you are looking to make here to be honest. Maybe that's why you haven't had many replies.
In poker below 25nl if someone limps just raise them preflop because its normally trash, it doesn't usually matter what sort of trash they have (as you so elequently outlined) and their ranges are so wide its often pointless trying to put them on one. If someone does limp raise or show up with a strong hand then make a note.
Just don't ever limp yourself is the best advice, its not the way to make money at poker. You make money by raising with the initiative and having and representing strong ranges, not calling with trash without any initiative. I know this is obvious but sometimes it has to be stated, especially on behalf of any beginners.
The only time I ever limp in is in the SB and there are 4+ limpers in front of me, I'm getting an insane price and the BB never squeezes.
The best way to understand someones opening ranges is to use a HUD when playing online and pay attention to every show down when playing live.

Last edited:
S

sarniack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In this first thread I want to talk about the hands people tend to limp in with. I want to talk about the hands that people tend to limp in with and why they might do so with each individual hand.

BUMP! I can not believe no one has said anything in response to this post. This should make for a good forum thread/discussion. Come on people let's hear it. What do you think?

I appreciate the work, but then I am not really surprised that the discussion hasn't moved forward. In games that people aim to play, there is almost no limping, maybe apart from later stages of the tournaments. You can see a lot of limping in micro stakes, but then I am not sure if we should be having discussion about ranges only. I think we should be rather discussing how to read and exploit limpers. Becuase basically what your post is saying is: limper's range will be very wide, 40-80% depending on position.

So I don't think that analysing this range alone in depth is particularly helpful, because apart from that we aim to play games where there is not much limping, only any information about the player will give you ability to exploit limping. By default, I am punishing limpers with 4-5BB raise with good hands. Only when I see that for instance someone limps with small pocket pairs or someone limps mainly monster hands to keep people in the pot, I can tell more about the range. Without that it is pretty much "anything playable" and in case of some players also some unplayable hands as well ;).

DrazaFFT

DrazaFFT

public static void
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
To be 100% honest i havent read the whole OP, i'll answer to the thread title instead.
How to put someone on a starting range? Well, for start define your starting ranges for each position, define your calling range on each against each position, define your 3bet ranges for every position against every position (value and bluff), then when you fully understand and know (and understand) your every preflop action for every position against every position then you can think of opponent ranges. For example, if you know that you open 10% from EP, you would know what hands are 10% hands, if someone opens 15% from EP you think of what's your opening range there and add some hands to your range to get his range, its not the exact science, its more about an assumption, later you tweak his ranges with notes, of example he doesnt open below 66 from EP but he does open A2s and stuff like that.

About the limpers, i wouldnt bother with what range they would limp in, its much less important than what is good enough for them to stick in there and pay on later streets and what is good enough to go nuts with... Fishes drool money on later streets, not preflop, focus on their postflop IMHO

Last edited:
Z

Zer0-0uts

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I guess I missed the point of what I was trying to accomplish with this thread. The point is that the first part to learning to read what players have is to understand what they do with what types of hands. All I am talking about in this thread is what type of hands players limp with. Saying that no one limps is totally erroneous. People limp all the time. One player limps, then another, then another. Yes sometimes someone plays the punish the limpers role, but there is a lot of limping going on. Again I am not talking about what I should or shouldn't do in reaction to someone who limps. I just want to know what you think people limp with.

This is not about learning how to exploit limpers. This is a thread to discuss how to put people on hands and how to read their hands by the way they play their hands, and how they react to the subsequent action made by me or any other player after each street. You are not going to know how to proceed on the later streets if you do have an idea about what people tend to limp in with. Yes, many players limp in with any two cards. But once you realize who those players are you can mark them with a note so you know they are a fish. A fish will limp in with any two cards. A fish will also raise with any two cards. In such a situation once you know the fish you can play accordingly.

Putting people on smooth calling ranges will be a thread, as will raising ranges and three bet ranges. Yes I agree, a lot of the reading is dependent on what type of player has just limped, what position they are in, and how many people limped before them.

Let's just say you just sat down for a tournament with a bunch of unknowns. There is limping. Now you can have a better idea of what they might be limping in with and now you can act accordingly. I am just looking for people to help me figure out what people generally limp in with.

Figaroo2

Figaroo2

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I just want to know what you think people limp with.
A fish will limp in with any two cards.
I am just looking for people to help me figure out what people generally limp in with.

Good luck finding someone who is interested in what is imo largely an irrelevancy. You outlined the limping hands in your original post, no one disagrees.

Hand reading doesn't really start when someone limps, they are too wide at that point, it starts when they call a raise and the flop comes and they call or raise, up to that point they could have any two cards so don't try to range them until you have played with them for a while and have notes on their limping hands.