Punishments for playing a hand poorly?

T

Tricky123bet

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't know if this is a thing, but could it be good to use punishments in order to get better at poker? I feel like I make the same mistakes over and over, and promise myself to try and never do it again, but make the same mistake later on. Would it be good to have to do a punishment every time you make a mistake?

It would have to be some kind of punishment that is fairly unpleasant, so that you think twice about your decisions in poker. Nothing so extreme that you will get hurt by it though. What do you think? Do you have any other methods that keeps you from making fundamental mistakes?

fly2tsky

fly2tsky

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think one of the most effective way is to lose more. I didnt do it that way because I learn every day and analyze every hands I played if possible.

What kind of mistakes you usually made?

pescaofish

pescaofish

Academic Poker
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PA
Chips
You are getting punish and will get punish anytime you make the poker mistakes over and over by the amount of money you loose.

Perhaps the punishment has not been hard or large enough, so I recommend you play at higher levels and for sure you will be punished enough to learn or go broke! :D

edc1

edc1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
they say the best lesson learned is one thats lived-you have to learn from your mistakes,we all do to some degree-its no different in poker you screw up or play a hand badly you tend to remember those-not learning from ones mistakes might just be insanity doing the same things over n over expecting different results

AntonEast

AntonEast

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's better to give yourself something when you play good, when your bankroll reaches your goal you cash out a small amount and buy yourself something. In that way you really want to play good and maybe focus more at the tables

T

Two6JJ

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No punishment just study your hand history more so you can see what is leading to you repeating your mistakes.

STL FAN

STL FAN

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here is the thing, making a statement to tell one’s self not to make mistakes is the first step to fixing the mistake, but first a person has to admit that each body of the spider that represents mistakes that have far reaching tentacles that affect other knowledge based information related to said mistake that would represent knowledge with no ability to perform at the table in the moment because of the absence of intelligence

Conscious competence, this is the ability to recognize the mistake that just happened or is about to happen. However in the moment the brain’s conscious thought is shut down and not allowing unconscious competence that would show mastery about the knowledge that demonstrates the ability with intelligence in the moment from the body of the spider that represents the knowledge learned, but until this step is reached even though, a person might have the answer, but the path to the answer is not clear? Or a person might have a general path about the question or mistake, but no clear answer?

Unconscious competence cannot be achieved because you do not know what you do not know as of yet. Unconscious competence demonstrates the mastery of knowledge learned with new found intelligence of abilities that is demonstrated at the table in the moment that before this moment was not yet achieved or was not clear if this was the path, and writing posts in forums demonstrates mastery of the knowledge away from the table; however the two parts of mastery are separate but not equal. However, each of the two parts are required for the player to see small gains with reference points in the learning process when the player thinks they achieved mastery but might still need additional work when reverting back to conscious competence in the moment at the table.

Journaling thoughts about the situation, taking additional notes, talking to others that are better than the player that is trying to get better are some paths, and posting in forums are some examples, that I have used and still use to this day. Punishing a player, rewarding a player based on play will put a bandage on the problem but is has been my experience that any bandage is a delay for the player in the long run because of the delay of getting to the point of origin, and the root of the problem. I use to avoid making mistakes because my ego said “I will choose not to make a mistake and only learn for the front end of my bell curve that represents my “A” game.”

My ego was saying I am above making a mistake within the vastness of poker. How absurd is that statement? The backend of my bell curve represents my mistakes, my C- game, then attempting to fix them one by one will get to the root or the body of the spider, I then challenged myself after seeing small increments of gains the represents change in my game from studying the mental side of poker to get the point of origin of future, or uncovering past mistakes from past knowledge gains.

Journaling, being honest with myself, bad days, good days, helping yourself is rewarding when seeing small gains from knowledge, but knowledge is double edge sword because without intelligence each time knowledge is added the next process of additional work to demonstrate new abilities in the moment at the table needs to be achieved otherwise, each time the next step is not achieved the person then will have shortcoming because of having knowledge only with the absence of ability, intelligence from new knowledge, the next step has to be achieved that would demonstrate new intelligence from new knowledge this step in the long run has to be seen with small gains in a person’s “A”game from fixing the backend of a person’s game. I hope you have success in your journey, and glad to have met you as well.

Last edited:
SaintNick1968

SaintNick1968

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would say that the most constructive and helpful way to get out of bad habits and make them matter more than just a small amount of money is to take a break and focus on your game. Say you were playing a cash game and you constantly tried to bluff a huge calling station, or you got tilted and made a shove that was way too wide in a tournament, you could 'ban' yourself from playin for a couple of days and just study for that time. That way you could stop yourself from tilting and losing more money, you could study and fix your leaks, and you could feel that you had stopped yourself from being able to play poker for a few days by consiously playing bad. I know the feeling :p (don't blame yourself or feel that you are the only one who makes the same mistake over and over).

Just my two cents- don't go beating yourself up. :)

Good luck!

SaintNick1968

SaintNick1968

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You are getting punish and will get punish anytime you make the poker mistakes over and over by the amount of money you loose.

Perhaps the punishment has not been hard or large enough, so I recommend you play at higher levels and for sure you will be punished enough to learn or go broke! :D

Lol. Every time you lose $1 by a silly mistake you have to risk your whole bankroll and consiously lose it all. Feel the pain! That seems pretty harsh IMO ;)

Seriously though, your really shouldn't try to make a huge mistake by moving up way too high if you've made a small mistake in your game.

Diegol

Diegol

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
my punishment is that i lose haha. I don't have a good advice about that but i get satisfaction when i do things differently, correct my errors and see the result :)

T

Tricky123bet

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for all your answers. Yeah, although I feel one of my strong sides is tilt control, especially when running KK into AA sometimes, or having your Aces cracked , which is going to happen sometimes, so theres nothing to do about it. Also I've been very strict about my bankroll so far so I don't think I will move up in stakes before I'm ready SaintNick1968 :)

What is harder to handle for me though is when I lose big in a hand, and think I've played it the wrong way, and don't know what would have been a better way to play it. I guess that's just something one will learn by time. :)

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I believe that if you don't play your Best game because of your own mistakes , there must be some consequences to help you become better . So , me , when I lose a big pot on a cash game with a monster/very good hand due to poor/stupid play , at first I go on tilt and lose more money with stupid shoves , and later I don't play again cash games for 10 days , maybe for a month to learn not to make such idiot mistakes . If I am bored to study my mistakes , then I don't play at all . If it's a tournament , the same , I stop playing until I fix these leaks , and I play only freerolls . Nowadays I want to make it more stict , not to play even freerols if I am to repeat the same mistakes again and again . I believe it's essential to be truethfull , serious , and strict with yourself , if you desire any progress (at least if you don't want to spend/lose all the bankroll;)) :)

B

braveslice

Pull-ups!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great idea. I don’t know how I have not realized this before. In sports we do that with friend all the time, for example we agree that if we hit to net we need to do a one pushup. This is something we use for repetitive errors.

In poker I think it would help even more a) it would be easier to forgive myself the stupid mistake I made because well I get the punishment, the thing I deserve, and not lose focus on the tables b) funnily enough it would make me to take micro break that would help to keep concentration longer

D

DrakeM

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you tend to make the same mistakes over and over again, try writing them down and read them regularly to internalize the proper play. Repetition should help there.

A

alex_Romejz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the worst punishment would be lost your chips It is not recommended to play poor cards in any position of the table

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands