Punishing Limpers

wsbar

wsbar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Limp pot everyone has no owner or rather the owner is usually the one who takes the initiative or is more aggressive. If the player knows that you are able to steal pots in which multiple players come in limp, he can raise the bet or pay in intent to take the pot out of you. Remember that 30% of the time no one will hit anything on the flop. More careful! Stop, think and play wisely. Good luck in the CC players tables.

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've been limping a lot more lately for a couple of reasons.

1st - if I'm in early position and I want to play cards that aren't super premium (I don't consider AK to be super premium when played from EP) I will limp to see how much resistance I'm up against. I fully expect to be raised, but the question remains by how much and by how many players. I don't want to get into a dominated and/or Bingo situation with a lot of my money in the middle out of position, so if there's a lot of resistance I can just fold having only sacrificed one BB. However, if there's very little resistance, say a standard raiser and a second limp/caller then I really want to see the flop (for cheap).

At the lower limits I've lost far too many hands by automatically raising my better playable hands pre-flop only to be called by two or more random hands that hit a lucky flop and/or turn.

2nd - if I'm betting into a super aggressive pre-flop raiser, or habitual 3/4-bettor, I want to maintain some pot control before I see the flop. If I know I'm going to be raised regardless of what I do, I would generally prefer to keep villain's raise to the minimum pre-flop (e.g., 3X vs. 9X or more).

That said, I will play super premium hands (AA, KK, less often QQ, and cautiously JJ) super aggressively pre-flop if the table will permit. I expect to win with these hands, and want to narrow the field down to only one villain so that my dominating odds hold up better.

However, if I'm at a really tight passive table, then I will usually raise every hand that I want to play regardless of position.

And finally, if I'm short in a tournament (which eventually always seems to happen) then I will try to force through my less than premium hands when I think I may have a shot at doubling up. I'm trying to rely on fold-equity here, but most players are going to call shorter stacks with their medium/better quality hands in those situations. I hate full-ring tables because there are almost always better hands out there.

taurusix

taurusix

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've been limping a lot more lately for a couple of reasons.

1st - if I'm in early position and I want to play cards that aren't super premium (I don't consider AK to be super premium when played from EP) I will limp to see how much resistance I'm up against. I fully expect to be raised, but the question remains by how much and by how many players. I don't want to get into a dominated and/or Bingo situation with a lot of my money in the middle out of position, so if there's a lot of resistance I can just fold having only sacrificed one BB. However, if there's very little resistance, say a standard raiser and a second limp/caller then I really want to see the flop (for cheap).

At the lower limits I've lost far too many hands by automatically raising my better playable hands pre-flop only to be called by two or more random hands that hit a lucky flop and/or turn.

2nd - if I'm betting into a super aggressive pre-flop raiser, or habitual 3/4-bettor, I want to maintain some pot control before I see the flop. If I know I'm going to be raised regardless of what I do, I would generally prefer to keep villain's raise to the minimum pre-flop (e.g., 3X vs. 9X or more).

That said, I will play super premium hands (AA, KK, less often QQ, and cautiously JJ) super aggressively pre-flop if the table will permit. I expect to win with these hands, and want to narrow the field down to only one villain so that my dominating odds hold up better.

However, if I'm at a really tight passive table, then I will usually raise every hand that I want to play regardless of position.

And finally, if I'm short in a tournament (which eventually always seems to happen) then I will try to force through my less than premium hands when I think I may have a shot at doubling up. I'm trying to rely on fold-equity here, but most players are going to call shorter stacks with their medium/better quality hands in those situations. I hate full-ring tables because there are almost always better hands out there.
Matt, are you playing in the CC League?
If yes, then this info comes in handy [emoji12]

C

C3H6S

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
limp if table is tigh, never limp premiuns!!!

wsbar

wsbar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My friend this your answer I'll copy and paste and read every time before playing. Perfect.

J

jesus133

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think 35% of times flop leagues but only when there are 2 players in the hand, also has to see the range of hands and if it is a call station, I think those are some of the factors in mind when trying a bluff

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
When I have a good pair for first time in the game I usually rise. Then I watch the maths of the game and act as I judge.

wilpinsi

wilpinsi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We see players making this type of play at all times, trying to let more players into the pot, often lose, because the villain pay for nothing, in the flop hits everything.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Are you talking about cash games or tournaments?

R

Rational Madman

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
"See me walkin' with a limp, that's my gunwalk"
They can easily slowplay you or 3bet you, take into account the rate with which they fold to steals or 3bet before trying to steal from them.

Not all limpers are cowards, some are strategic baiters.

wsbar

wsbar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was referring to the two modalities, but everything depends on the level of players, the size of my stack of chips, the image that players have about my attitude. Complex.

firstcrack

firstcrack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think MattRyder makes a lot of sense. This, coupled with Rational Madman's remarks pretty much sum up what I would be able to contribute to the discussion. Cliche's like 'punish the limper' can get you into trouble and serve as seeds for possible leaks in play--ironically, even more sometimes than what a lot of folks would consider a strong potential for a leak in your game --limping into pots.

Last edited:
vitalii029

vitalii029

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
thank you for the advice it will help me I hope