Professional Player

B

buzzeto

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello!
So, I'm studying a lot these days, at the moment I work as a tattoo artist, and I want to be a professional poker player, do you guys have some advices for me?:D

zinzir

zinzir

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Tattoo AA on your penis :)

PS: Just joking, I did not mean to offend you.

RVTR7777

RVTR7777

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello there will be times when you will think to stop, but don't give up, there will be many bad days.
Focus on your studies and play as much as you can.
Discipline Faith focus and strength, be persistent, don't give up.
You will get it.
I have the same desire as you.
Work hard, study and play as much as you can.
May you be very lucky.
Glgl for us.:icon_stud:icon_flow:five:

zinzir

zinzir

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
well,
thats a advice haha
I will think about it...

First of all, welcome to Cardschat, I didn't notice at first you were a new member. Second, thanks for being a good sport and not taking jokes the wrong way.

Coming back to my advice, think about it, an AA tattoo would also work in case you become an alcoholic instead of or in addition to a professional poker player :)

Nr98

Nr98

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Treat poker like you would your tattoo business. Mostly in the sense of discipline, risk spreading and responsible use of capital. Besides that, study a lot (can't stress this enough) and put in the hours. It's a grind but it's certainly possible.

Welcome mate :)

naydanazar

naydanazar

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello!
So, I'm studying a lot these days, at the moment I work as a tattoo artist, and I want to be a professional poker player, do you guys have some advices for me?:D
Take a closer look at game breakdowns and train yourself too, and this will help you become a professional poker player):dancing2:

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Learn to be patient and disciplined. These qualities will be useful to you in poker.

Danjwarburton

Danjwarburton

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Cash games give you regular money and should be the go to for a grinder!
Don't overlook the value of a coach who can speed up the learning curve considerably
It's not about knowledge but ability to implement!

Finally, when choosing a coach, ask them for testimonials or to give examples of students they have got to the point of succeeding. Just because a player is a good poker player doesn't mean they are a good coach!

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
1. Clearly define your goal.
2. Write a step-by-step plan to reach your goals.
3. Work every day, step by step, according to your plan.
4. Be disciplined and always remain patient.
Good luck.

1player2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Welcome to CardsChat, my advice would be don't give up on tattooing unless you are making a considerable profit daily over a number of months.

I Agree Completely. Maintain a thorough and accurate poker log and if for example after 8 to 12 months your hourly profit is enough to maintain your quality of life then go for it. bankroll management is pretty important and dipping into it because you are running well can cripple you when you have some run bad. Ultimately I'd say play as much as possible keep accurate records and be tight with the bankroll and you will make the transition very smooth if you are a worthy candidate to be one of the chosen ones.

Good Luck To All:cool:

VITOS

VITOS

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If you want to become a successful professional, you need at least one truly outstanding quality. You have to look at other poker players and be sure that you are better than them. And these players, with whom you compare yourself, should not be Amateurs, but just beginning professionals like you. If you are going to succeed, you need to be significantly better at something important. You don't need to be a math Professor to play poker professionally at a high level. You don't need to have a calculator in your head, but you definitely need a developed logic. You need to be able to build logical chains at the poker table. If you are already well-developed logic, and you are consistently working on the game, you may well succeed with little physical and emotional control. And despite the fact that physical and emotional control are really important, and a high level of self-control already helps a lot in the game, you still need to know a certain theoretical minimum to be successful in poker.

V

Vekekeke

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't recommend to target for professional poker player. If you like the game and play do good result the it's probably clever to go professional but it's not good goaal to target imo. Specially at these days the games are getting tougher and tougher every day and you have to study a lot to become a good winning poker player. But why not do the tattoo artist work and earn some more money with the poker.

frnandoh

frnandoh

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hello!

It doesn't happens from a night to day. I really recommend you hire a coaching to bring you to level where you would like to play and you will save a lot of money and time that you would lose playing and learning by yourself.:)
GG

TheEdger18

TheEdger18

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bank roll

Treat poker like you would your tattoo business. Mostly in the sense of discipline, risk spreading and responsible use of capital. Besides that, study a lot (can't stress this enough) and put in the hours. It's a grind but it's certainly possible.

Welcome mate :)

Only way to become successful at poker is extremely hard work, studying and playing. But the single most important part most good players have trouble turning themselves into pros is bankroll management.

Nr98

Nr98

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Only way to become successful at poker is extremely hard work, studying and playing. But the single most important part most good players have trouble turning themselves into pros is bankroll management.

Yeah exactly, that's key. That's what I meant with risk spreading and responsible use of capital (to put it in his business terms). BRM is so important, can't overstate that.

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Biggest bit of advice I can give, is don't think it will happen over night. Very few poker players wake up one day and decide to be a pro and go and bink a big score. Even fewer stay at the top for very long.

Becoming a pro takes years of hard work, grinding, studying, discipline and faith in yourself.

Good luck in your journey.

EvertonGirl

EvertonGirl

Professional Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
You will have to have patience.

You will have to play with no emotion, like when you get it in good and lose, you will need to not let that get you down. If you don't control any tilt issues, then I doubt you will ever become a pro at poker.

Work on your game a lot, analyze your play to see if you could have extracted more value, or played it differently.

Now that most of us are staying at home because of this coronavirus, we could all play more poker and see if we could become pro.

I wish you all the luck in the world :)

Nathan Williams

Nathan Williams

Poker Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Being a poker pro is not easy, in fact very few people probably have what it takes. It requires an enormous amount of discipline, worth ethic and emotional control.

As somebody who has done it for a long time, I advise most people to just play poker for a hobby and keep their day job.

I get this question so often though, that I wrote the guide for it.

How to become a poker pro in 2020.

Again though, this isn't for the vast majority of people. It probably isn't for you.

D

DoIHaveAFlush

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Buzzeto,

As with many other members of cardchat, I do share this Dream with you. I do have a good fulltime Job, but still I enjoy playing poker a lot and developed an Ambition to improve my skills day after day.

Next to all theoretical advices given to you here, I would like to add some more practical ones:

-Watch daily YouTube Videos of all the great Players - Daniel Negreanu, Phil Ivey, Patrick Antonius, Phil Hellmuth, Tom Dwan,...you have tons of Video material to Analyse (all WSOPs, PCA tours etc..). Learn how they played. Look at their Body language for you to be able to be a good live Player.

- Play every day, even if it is with Play Money. Try while playing for Play Money, to calculate pot odds, fold equity etc - this way after a while you will be able to calculate this Kind of stuff automatically during game Speed. How to calculate pot odds, fold equity, Outs, etc., you just Need to Google and you will find a lot of useful Websites.

- use Negreanus or Phil Iveys Masterclass. If you really want to be a professional poker Player, i think this Kind of tutoring will be a good Investment for you. Pay for the Masterclass App and learn from the best - you will have Access to it for a full year. I did pay Masterclass and I learned a huge load of Things that i didn't knew before. Just as an advice - it might be better to start with YouTube poker tutorials to know the Basics, before doing the Masterclasses, as they don't really start from the very Scratch..

Hope this helps.

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Study the game a lot, play a lot, a lot and a lot and after 3 years playing comeback to the forum and ask it again.:)
Don't worry...just kidding...:)Anyway is not much different from that.