Preflop or Postflop?

B

brandonkremb

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Which is better? A tight-aggressive preflop strategy or a loose-aggressive postflop strategy? In what situation would each one make more money?

X

xy23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It all comes down to the format you're playing (cash game or tournament) and the player(s) you're up against. But I usually play tight aggro preflop and postflop.

grumblbrumbl

grumblbrumbl

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All in different ways. It depends on many factors, especially with what players you play.

Viper ChipIt

Viper ChipIt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on your opponents really, exploiting is the name of the game.

H

HaroldHouse

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends on opponents, the way they percieve you, and also how good are you at being a postflop loose player. Tight aggressive is the way to go in most things Ive read but you have to be able to think outside the box. The way your opponent sees you determines their plays also. Like folding, 3 betting, or trying to trap the LAG. So I would preflop TAG then mix up the postflop play by switching back and forth between TAG and LAG but always stay aggressive if you think youre in the lead or can induce a fold.

dedok0525

dedok0525

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Aggressive play before the flop can make a profit in a short period of time, and after the flop gains for long periods of time. Cautious players as opposed to the aggressive very rarely win a huge stack in a short period of time, but have the advantage over a long period of time. Win in the end those that prefer a more thoughtful strategy and less risk. But the risk is also sometimes necessary that would not lose.

L

lokinet

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Which is better? A tight-aggressive preflop strategy or a loose-aggressive postflop strategy? In what situation would each one make more money?

like my predecessor said, it mostly depends on the table and the situation. also you should learn to play both and vary your game

Last edited by a moderator:
eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I prefer a tight aggressive style of play preflop. This usually serves me giod , except when a player 5bets preflop. That gets real annoying . You can't wait for them to bust out or go to a higher table, showoff.

WiredKs

WiredKs

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to get a feel from the table and play opposite. If the table is playing fast and loose, I'll tighten up my (preflop) hand selection and exploit their loose calls (postflop). If the table is a rock garden, I'll add about 5-10% to my range and take a few more stabs at the blinds and at safe and or dry flops. If passive, up the aggro a click, and if aggressive, go turtle.

I realize that the GTO folks are swallowing their tongues and convulsing at the thought of such gameplay, but I'm not playing against anyone where GTO would matter. Sharks tend to stay out of the kiddie pool.

Yermek

Yermek

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

In different situations you need to play in different ways. If the game is of the same type you will easily read.

hachile1

hachile1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
there needs to be a balance between the two when I find myself in front of a cautious player I play aggressive and when I am in front of a bluffer I play tight to trap him :) in any case everything depends on your cards, your opponents in question and the type of tournaments too in cache game the best is to play tight

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
It depends on what format of the tournament you play. If the tournament is fast, it is better to play aggressively using your position. If the tournament is slow, then I prefer a careful game with good cards.

P

praevus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer tight-agressive pre-flop but I try to understand what strategy is better against my opponents.

M

molokheia

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi there
There is no any good answer
It depend on many factors
But if your one kind of a player you should stick to that no matter pre or post flop
rgds

maksonios

maksonios

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
From my point of view, you can scare your opponent with the aggressive tactic on preflop. It also depends on your position, with a nice raise on preflop you can force to fold 10 J and something like that.

ghOst

ghOst

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

a tight/aggressive preflop is a lot more effective if trying to get out of the micro's and then this is where the skill of changing gears come into play

paulezzz

paulezzz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Re

A tight aggresive pre/postflop should be the most profitable one. But when playing a tournament. This is I think the best but with cashgame sometimes you have to adjust to your opponents to seek their weaknesses and try to profit from that in a way you feel it’s the best at that moment.;)

K

kbolding7

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Position is huge, under the gun has to be very tight but on the button you can open over 50% of hands. Stack size is also where the ranges change drastically as well.

wsbar

wsbar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tight aggressive pre-flop, I think a tight strategy is much more than a pair, in my opinion a game starts to get tight with at least one stright formed. Now if you're short stack, or with a medium stack and intent to steal the preflop blinds then yes you can use AA aggression, plus remember playing that way by going allin pre-flop you still risk losing even playing with AA, I think that in poker you should maximize your chances of winning, so if I have a good stack in a certain tournament I prefer to play with caution, always looking for the best games, bluffing rarely.

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If I came in with a small pocket pair or small connectors, with a raise of 3-4 bb, I didn’t get anything on the flop to protect my card. It all depends on how the opponent reacts to your game.

Cody5991

Cody5991

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Totally depends on what the players around you are doing IMO.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its like Bruce Lee used to say "be like water" or in other words you need to adapt to your opponents and your situation.