Pre-flop All-in

8infinity8

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pre-flop all ins are very tempting especially when you have Pocket Aces or Poket Kings and you are short on stack. And there is nothing wrong with going all in. Its your freedom of decision nor does it break any rules in NLH poker. But, Having pocket Aces under the gun, and being tempted is a situation most of the players face. Should you really go all in during those situations? Its definitely up to you and depends on a lot of factors like playing against tight opponents, short stacks, and so on. But what to consider always is the risk versus reward factor. Can you afford to lose the stack?,Can you still dominate the table after losing a hand? Can you not get aggrevated and not shove it consecutively to make up your lost stack?. These are very important questions you should ask yourself. And more importantly the probability of you winning that hand if you shove. So its basically gambling when you go all in pre flop. Nothing is in your hands. Even a 2,4 off suit can bet pocket Aces. Yes, It does happen. What matters at the end of the day is to accept that, these do happen. Best option is to play passively aggressive, in places where you want to shove Pre-flop. There is still never a 100% chance of winning, but still, lots of factors do weigh in like card reads mid hand, players playing style, stack quantity abd so on.
Personally, I try my best to avoid pre flop all ins at all times, but I do get tempted. This post will be a reminder for myself of the mistakes I dont want to repeat. And everyone can take whatever decision they want to take as no two hands are ever the same. I did used to fold pocket aces or kings when an opponent shoves if I am looking for a pay jump, or didn't land three of a kind or higher. So, It always depends on a number of factors. Too much factors that it may stress you out, but remember, poker is meant to be fun. If you are stressed playing poker, take some time out, just relax, and start playing for fun. At the end of the day, all you learned matters more than earnings.

diago726

diago726

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Before I did it all the time, or when I lost a good hand the next was all-in without thinking twice, today and I improved and only when I analyze my rivals and I have a good pair or premium cards do I go.

M

Mahdi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm happy to go all-in with some cards pre if situation dictates it
I don't like it, but I'm happy to, because sometime shove is a right decision to do

I

Ianmacca99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With under 10bbs it should go in preflop with these premiums as it would with anything in your shoving range. if you start min raising or limping UTG off a small stack it sticks out a mile

arenaci

arenaci

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Folding AA pre-flop can only be justified in final table of a tournament when you are against chip leader and have 2nd biggest stack with many short stack players still left in the final table. Other than that if you are not willing to go all-in with AA with 80%+ equity and be happy about it, may be you should play chess.

W

wilberth

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Going all in preflop with an AA pair and having low chips is a must because there is no better hand than that and it is also an opportunity to raise the chips you need. In a tournament it is mandatory to do that, so it is not difficult to make that decision if you want to survive the tournament.

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
Obviously, it all depends on the format of the tournament, the position at the table, and the style of play of your opponents. As always, I think everything is relative.
Good luck.

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With A, A in any tournament (except satellite), I call all-in preflop. Even against multiple players.
Sometimes I don’t win but in the given situation I almost certainly have the strongest hand (of course, if there is no other A, A pair out).

Transcendence

Transcendence

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With AK do not go to all in. With AK call all in. That is, they are protected. Imagine you have a KK and you go all in and on the Board or flop A. it is Unlikely that if you cut with the KK and saw on the flop And you go further. You will reset and thus save the stack. You can only go to all in with AA.

If you have a KK and you raise on flop A, you are unlikely to go any further. If you go all in, you lose everything. Or let's say you have a single-suited AK, you raise and flop come 89J raznotsvet, hardly want to go further. You can only go to Alin with AA. My opinion is that you can only go to all in with AA. And you can defend yourself with many combinations. KK, QQ, JJ, 1010, AK, AK, but don't go to all in. This is stupid.

Last edited:
P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i won't tell you how to play because that's up to you. if you're not comfortable getting it in with aces preflop or you'd rather fold your aa and kk to all-in bets post flop for a money jump, cool. you do you.

but please know that by playing your monster hands, especially aa, passively preflop and postflop (depending on spr), you're giving up a ton of value. even if you're going for a small money jump, you're losing out on more value. in fact, the money you make from a small money jump doesn't make up for how much you're losing if you play passively.

so, the question you have to ask yourself is, does 'surving' and mtt longer with aa make up for how much money i'm losing in the long term?

in my opinion, no it doesn't. don't be afraid to bust out with aces in spots where you should be getting it in pre/post flop. you'll lose sometimes and not make any money or miss out on pay jumps or whatever, but you gain so much more in the long term.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can only go to Alin with AA. My opinion is that you can only go to all in with AA. And you can defend yourself with many combinations. KK, QQ, JJ, 1010, AK, AK, but don't go to all in. This is stupid.
great advice to follow if you hate getting value for your strong hands and like earning the bare minimums.

good luck getting any value at all with aa against good opponents that see you being a mega nit. and good luck getting 100% exploited by even better players.

shibdevvar

shibdevvar

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Shove is always good with short stack when you have good card.

Captain Harlock

Captain Harlock

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I personally can't think of a time when I wouldn't be willing to go all-in with AA pre-flop. It's called gambling for a reason and while you can get busted by any other combination of cards it's statistically in your favor.

Einer777

Einer777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With pairs like AA and KK if you have few blinds, try to call all with the fewest possible opponents to have a better chance of winning.

C

chpoken

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
only with nice hand or with short stack 5-10BB