practicing with a deck of cards?

O

onbrkenwings

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know I ask alot of questions that many of you would consider stupid but I need answers. How could I use a deck of cards to learn different aspects of hold'em poker effectively. How could it help me figure out odds or how certain hands stack up against certain hands? What would be a good step by step walk through to learn efficiently? I'm trying to learn with every resource available to me.

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it' not stupid. People actually did that in the old days to develop their games.

Nowadays, though, they use pokerstove. http://www.pokerstove.com/

It's free and it's an absolute must have.

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker acadamy pro 2 offers a poker simulator.. you can rig what kinds of cards you are delt or that your opponents are dealt .. change stack sizes etc. agression factors etc etc

It costs about $60 but there are other ways to obtain it!

007LesMurphy

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You should try reading a poker book. They usually have the odds, betting stradegy, and taking advantage of monster hands.

O

onbrkenwings

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should try reading a poker book. They usually have the odds, betting stradegy, and taking advantage of monster hands.

I read alot of poker books. I've read the theory of poker 3 times this week already. If I don't fully understand what he's trying to teach me I re-read the section over and over. I'm very determined to master this game. I guess it's just a matter of time before all these things become second nature. I'm just really impatient I suppose. I'm expecting results faster... but everyone who has every played poker was a donk at one point. Also if anyone reads this post and has read Sklansky's Hold'em for Advanced Players do you know if it mainly focuses on limit? It's at my local library and I was wondering if it will help me with no limit.

O

onbrkenwings

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
by master I meant becoming a winning player btw I know even the pros are still learning everyday.

serendipity

serendipity

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Another great resource is the hand analysis section here at Cards Chat. When I first found this site, I spent hours reading and reading and reading. I felt like I had found one of the best poker resources (and I had!)

I recommend spending an hour a day reading old and new threads from that section as a way of putting your game into overdrive.

O

onbrkenwings

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Another great resource is the hand analysis section here at Cards Chat. When I first found this site, I spent hours reading and reading and reading. I felt like I had found one of the best poker resources (and I had!)

I recommend spending an hour a day reading old and new threads from that section as a way of putting your game into overdrive.

thank you :) I will take that advice starting right now.

O

orangepeeleo

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Practice , Practice and even more practice, mixed in with a healthy dose of study (personal session analysis and reading).

You can read ToP a million times cover to cover but unless you put the different sections in there into practice at the tables you'll never really learn how or when to use it, i used to read harrington on holdem, say 2 chapters at a time, and then put into practice the things i had learnt. If i'd just read about squeeze plays i'd start a session determined to make at least 2 squeeze plays of my own so that i'd recognise when to use it, if i'd just read about player types i'd spend the session putting people into category's and trying to figure out what they held. It really helps drum in the advice from the books imo.

You can read all about position and starting hands etc but its when you stack off with JQ UTG to a late position raiser with AQ that you really learn, and you'll never do it again trust me lol

GL and keep at it, the poker learning curve is steep but the rewards at the end are huge, thats what i keep telling myself anyways :D

CostyBigRoyal09

CostyBigRoyal09

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not practice at home... in week we just collect more friends in one of our house and play poker for money ... and there are chips in total 10 players .. and do a tour ... who wins take $ 1000 play about ... 4 weeks and I gained about 2 times :(..!

T

thepokerjunky

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A deck of cards? Well i would say that the only way you could use that is
by playing a poker game with someone else lol. Cause i mean if you wanna
do the math, you already know that there are 52 cards, 13 different ones,
each with 4 different suits, so you can do all your odds using those variables.
with a deck of cards i suggest you go with y our friends, make a nice pokergame
next door and bring some drinks and enjoy your day! And i hope you take
my advice ... lol

Roller

Roller

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Am I the only one that does this.
icon14.gif

Practicing with cards gives me an instant feel for how I'm running on any specific day.
If I''m watching TV and thinking about Hold em and want to enjoy both.

Could this be the first signs of an addiction?
lol :D
NOOOOOOOOOO
I just cant seem to get enough of Hold em.
icon14.gif

icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

If anyone is interested I will gladly post more details.

Good Luck at the Tables

icon6.gif

D

dannyboy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
what you can do is jsut sit there and deal out a nine or ten handed table, just liek any other game would consist of. and look at what hits alot, what the average hand would be for winning. how often do trips hit, how often do flushes hit, how often do straights hit, and keep a tally on that.

B

Bloodsong

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Another way to train yourself that I used with a deck of cards, is just sit there and deal out flops, turns, and rivers. On each street, read the board and try to figure out what the nuts are, what draws are live, and keep track of how it can all change. This helps with decision making speed, especially when you add in the idea of trying to figure out how a certain type of player, TAG, LAG, etc., would bet each street, and so forth.

Bloodsong

P

pokermatch

Enthusiast
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I seriously dont understand what you mean by practice with a deck of
cards... What you should be practicing is to your technique by hitting
the tables or by studying using different books or forums. But by using
an actual deck to practice? the best advice i could give you is to ask
a few friends to come by your house and play a poker game for the
expirience, as long as its a money game! If its for fun then people
wont play serious and you'd actually be learning the incorrect techniques.

Roller

Roller

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Just a Thought:
icon14.gif

What would you pay to see what everyone had in all those hands you have folded in the last Tournament.
Deal Deal Deal
Watch and learn.

:D :D :D

Roller:
Do as you do and you will always have what you have.
Open the Mind and the Possibilities are without Boundaries.

:cool:

dd_decker

dd_decker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you want to use a deck of cards- just deal out 9 or 10 hands and then the flop , turn , and river and see how the hands develop. You can make imaginary bets and raises along the way, folding the weak hands and raising with the strong ones. You can even bluff in late position and see if the blinds have the cards to call. Use your imagination. I've done it...By the way, you'll get bored in about 10 minutes. :-D

phatmatt840

phatmatt840

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you want to use a deck of cards- just deal out 9 or 10 hands and then the flop , turn , and river and see how the hands develop. You can make imaginary bets and raises along the way, folding the weak hands and raising with the strong ones. You can even bluff in late position and see if the blinds have the cards to call. Use your imagination. I've done it...By the way, you'll get bored in about 10 minutes. :-D

This is funny and true. I do this sometimes waiting for everyone to show up for my home game... it does get kinda boring, but it is interesting at first to see how hands are playing out.

D

deumsac

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The only time I have used a deck of cards at home for something is when I was like I'm going to see if it's really true that you only get pocket pairs every 1 in 16 hands. I did a large trial, and then I got bored :p (Shuffling between drawings became boring :))

Jam Castro

Jam Castro

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I used my deck of cards practicing magic tricks(",)LOL... that was before.
I never practiced with my deck of cards but I always read articles in the internet; surf through poker sites( websites that are really dedicated in providing you with good knowledge about poker), join forums and be active... I assure you, you'll learn a lot... but of course you have to apply all of the things that you'll learn on the poker table with a couple of friends or online.

I haven't bought and read any books yet about poker but I still advice reading some good books is great; it really does help and nourishes your poker strategy.

Always remember... "Poker is learned in just a few minutes but it takes life time to master it(",)."