Pot odds, hand equity

SillentHunterZ

SillentHunterZ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey guys i need little bit of help. When I started learning more in depth i realised how all of this can be overwhelming.

Pot odds example

9 outs for straight draw, the charts says:
9*4=36% turn plus river

9*2=18% for turn to river

Or 4 to 1 odds, now how did we get to 4:1 in odds. How to transform them from % to odds so that i can compare if it's worth it to call or not?

Example of equity

$2 call size / $6.5 final pot size = 0.307

0.307 * 100 = 30.7% equity required to call.

How to calculate easier that without calculator, the first part, the second is no problem.:confused:

LJG23

LJG23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You are very close to answering your own question. You just got one thing wrong. Your example of pot odds is actually your equity and your equity example is actually a calculation of your pot odds.

You need your pot odds to be less than the equity of your hand in order for it to be a profitable call.

In your example you hand has 36% equity on the flop so if that was a $2 bet on the flop it would be at least a call (raising with that kind of flop equity can be a good play), but a $2 bet on the turn would make it a fold since your hand equity has decrease to 18%.

Hope this helps.

Hey guys i need little bit of help. When I started learning more in depth i realised how all of this can be overwhelming.

Pot odds example

9 outs for straight draw, the charts says:
9*4=36% turn plus river

9*2=18% for turn to river

Or 4 to 1 odds, now how did we get to 4:1 in odds. How to transform them from % to odds so that i can compare if it's worth it to call or not?

Example of equity

0.307 * 100 = 30.7% equity required to call.

How to calculate easier that without calculator, the first part, the second is no problem.:confused:

Nafor

Nafor

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
LJG23 already gave you a pretty good answer, but if you're asking:

...the best thing is to learn by heart the common spots.

For example:
If we are facing a 1/4 pot bet we must win 16% of the time to be profitable.
If we are facing a 1/3 pot bet we must win 20% of the time to be profitable.
and so on...

Of course if we are in the blinds or the antes are in play these numbers will differ, but memorising the common spots is the fastest way to react.

D

Delfino

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have to decide to either use odds or percentages. For example:

In the pot: 10BB
Vilian bets: 5BB
Another one raises to 15BB
In the pot now there is 30BB.
You have to call 15BB to win a total of 45BB (what is now plus what you add)
Your break even percentages is 15/45 which is 1/3 = 33%

You need about 17 outs (17*2=34) to call if you are behind. But if this is your all-in, so you are sure you don't put anything more on turn and river, 9 outs is enough (9*4=36).

Of course you also have to consider your implied odds, so depending on their stacks, 13 outs might be enough to call. You also have to consider what initial betting player might do. But that is another story.

SillentHunterZ

SillentHunterZ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You are very close to answering your own question. You just got one thing wrong. Your example of pot odds is actually your equity and your equity example is actually a calculation of your pot odds.

You need your pot odds to be less than the equity of your hand in order for it to be a profitable call.

In your example you hand has 36% equity on the flop so if that was a $2 bet on the flop it would be at least a call (raising with that kind of flop equity can be a good play), but a $2 bet on the turn would make it a fold since your hand equity has decrease to 18%.

Hope this helps.
So basically counting the outs gives me hand equity, but what is good ratio, if i had 36% hand equity and 30% pot odds? So even if it's only 1% it gives me good ratio to call?

SillentHunterZ

SillentHunterZ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
pot-odds-infographic-1024x349.jpg

Is this good ratio so that i can memorise it?

perrypip

perrypip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Instead of memorizing it you should understand how to calculate it. It's BetSize/(1 + 2*BetSize) where BetSize is the fraction of the pot.

It's also simply AmountToCall/(PotSize + AmountToCall). That's the better way because it works if you've already bet and have been raised.

SillentHunterZ

SillentHunterZ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Instead of memorizing it you should understand how to calculate it. It's BetSize/(1 + 2*BetSize) where BetSize is the fraction of the pot.

It's also simply AmountToCall/(PotSize + AmountToCall). That's the better way because it works if you've already bet and have been raised.
I was doing this but it takes time to get used to it and calculate fast in head.
2/6 its easy, its 33% but when i get like 300/2300 it takes a bit of time to divide it to 13%.

Nafor

Nafor

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
So basically counting the outs gives me hand equity, but what is good ratio, if i had 36% hand equity and 30% pot odds? So even if it's only 1% it gives me good ratio to call?
Technically yes, but you might want to pick your spots carefully especially if your opponent is highly aggressive and might bet big on the next street.

That is certainly a good place to start! True, it is good to know the math behind the solution, but when you are in the heat of the moment it is better to simply know the answer by heart - just like learning the multiplication table. Charts like these will give you close enough information to make the decision.

Poker Odds - Pot & Implied Odds - Odds Calculator Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands