Pot bets

Neko67

Neko67

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey guys. Idk if this is correct way at looking at pot bets but to me they seem like bluffs bc of the horrible odds it gives to call. Does my thinking make any sense or is there a more general take on pot bets?

C

CardDead711

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The odds of calling a pot size bet depends on the cards you hold and what the board has, could be "horrible", or not.
The main reason to to make a pot sized bet, IMO, is to protect your hand, whether you actually have a hand, draw or not. You are trying to give incorrect odds to your opponent to either persuade them not to call or call and make a mistake. You are basically charging them to draw, or at least trying to. In the long run you should be making money, not them.
Hope this helped. I'm sure you will get better answers than this.
Good luck.

firstcrack

firstcrack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I pretty much agree with the above analysis. The problem with free rolls, of course, is that a lot of folks don't pay much consideration to pot odds, so pot size bets are not as effective as they otherwise might be in other formats. Pot size bets also is a way of keeping yourself in line as far as not overplaying strong hands that are still vulnerable to an unlikely draw out. If you find yourself making too many pot size bets, though, you are most likely missing out in value--guilty of playing scared, so to speak. On the other hand, sometimes it is difficult not to play scared in free rolls -- lol.

Neko67

Neko67

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The odds of calling a pot size bet depends on the cards you hold and what the board has, could be "horrible", or not.
The main reason to to make a pot sized bet, IMO, is to protect your hand, whether you actually have a hand, draw or not. You are trying to give incorrect odds to your opponent to either persuade them not to call or call and make a mistake. You are basically charging them to draw, or at least trying to. In the long run you should be making money, not them.
Hope this helped. I'm sure you will get better answers than this.
Good luck.
It did thanks.
But pot bets give pot odds of 2:1 so your hands will never be smaller than that meaning its always a bad situation

Aalexandar

Aalexandar

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I generally make a pot bet when I've made TPTK or 2 pair in a multiway pot to try and thin the herd. But it is also very good to protect your hand vs those straight and flush draws that always seem to come up with the nuts in the end.

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends......

A PSB means one thing if it commits you, or your opponent. But if a PSB is a minimal amount of your, or your opponents, stack, it can mean something else....

Or, is the bet an open bet or a raise? Flop, turn or river? Or a pre flop 3/4/5 bet?

Vs what kind of opponent?

In other words... it depends.

C

CardDead711

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It did thanks.
But pot bets give pot odds of 2:1 so your hands will never be smaller than that meaning its always a bad situation

I agree when you say 2:1 for a call of a PSB. But that is only if you are not considering implied odds. What are my odds of winning the hand and winning more of the villains chips, or taking his whole stack? It depends on the strength of my hand.
So if I'm the one making the PSB its for the reasons previously mentioned. If I'm calling the villains PSB it depends on my strength, how much more do I think I can win from the villain, or do I think he is bluffing or will lay down his hand later on in the hand.
Hope this made sense. There are many factors that come into play besides just getting 2:1.
Good luck.

Neko67

Neko67

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree when you say 2:1 for a call of a PSB. But that is only if you are not considering implied odds. What are my odds of winning the hand and winning more of the villains chips, or taking his whole stack? It depends on the strength of my hand.
So if I'm the one making the PSB its for the reasons previously mentioned. If I'm calling the villains PSB it depends on my strength, how much more do I think I can win from the villain, or do I think he is bluffing or will lay down his hand later on in the hand.
Hope this made sense. There are many factors that come into play besides just getting 2:1.
Good luck.
True true. I'm still learning so implied odds right now are beyond me lol. But I what I wonder is how often in online poker are actually doing the math for the pot odds and such. They really isn't a lot of time and with the other things they must consider is it the most important thing?