Post flop strategy

L

linda1963

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Whilst there is plenty of advice on pre-flop play, starting hands, position, aggression etc. I am trying to find advice on a good post flop strategy.(Other than the basic 'fit or fold')

Z

zerosalex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Make sure you're last to act and if everyone checks then bet the flop.

Herkstwin

Herkstwin

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Whilst there is plenty of advice on pre-flop play, starting hands, position, aggression etc. I am trying to find advice on a good post flop strategy.(Other than the basic 'fit or fold')
I am not sure where you are looking, but almost every poker book I've read, and almost every poker training program I've found on the Internet has in-depth lessons/training on how to play post-flop.
The 30 day program on Cardschat has lots of material on post-flop play. And it's free.
You can pay for other programs on-line as well.

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Certainly, play after flop should be emphasized.

That's a cash game and a tournament, it's different and is itself.

D

Dhendrixon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is a lot of information online (including here) and in books that talks about post flop play. This is where equity calculators come in handy and a lot of studying should take place. Start to learn the basics and build from there.

azforlife

azforlife

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Since your question is very general I'll give you a general answer. Be careful. Call more when you're out of position, don't check raise. You'll save more money than I did with that advice but I implore you to think of a situation, fictional or factual, & ask a specific scenario post flop.
GL

thatguy6793

thatguy6793

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would also add that good post flop play often starts with good preflop play. Make sure that you have a strong preflop play foundation before you add another level of complexity with post flop play as this can cause confusion in players that haven't fully understood preflop strategy. Poker is like building blocks, every lesson builds upon itself and if you don't understand the level below your tower will collapse. There is a lot of preflop info out there because of how important preflop play is, so with that being said I would say start with something like the CC 30 day course which covers both pre and post flop play so that you can see how they interact with one another.

Highsolation

Highsolation

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree that the 30 days training course that cardschat offers is quite good, it covers a lot of important points and have a specific section for each of them, great examples too. Since it's free I'd start from there and see if that suffices for your needs.

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A few post-flop tips:

** If you think you have the best hand, you should always consider value betting

** Play draws aggressively. This is particularly true when they have good equity and low showdown value like 5s4s on Kh 3s 2s.

** Plan your hands by thinking about how you're likely to play the later streets before you get there.