Position and SPR

M

marcvictory

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe the key factor in importance of position - is SPR (stack to pot ration). If you are deep you will often see all streets and position is valuable on every one and becomes exponentially more important the further along you go as the pot increases. This also means that when deep even very strong hands played early can be unprofitable since you will be OOP for all streets. Because of this I play very tight EP and loosen up a lot late position early in tournaments when stacks are deep.
As stacks get shallower position gets less important as fewer streets are seen as is often the case late in tournaments when most players are 5 to 15 BB and its a push/fold game so it can actually be good to be in early position (first to act) so you can be the first to shove and have fold equity to steal the blinds that are now so critical.
At the same time I have been heads up at end of tournaments with both of us having big stacks with 50+BB so position was important even though only two of us because a lot of hands went post flop and even to the river.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believe the key factor in importance of position - is SPR (stack to pot ration). If you are deep you will often see all streets and position is valuable on every one and becomes exponentially more important the further along you go as the pot increases. This also means that when deep even very strong hands played early can be unprofitable since you will be OOP for all streets. Because of this I play very tight EP and loosen up a lot late position early in tournaments when stacks are deep.
As stacks get shallower position gets less important as fewer streets are seen as is often the case late in tournaments when most players are 5 to 15 BB and its a push/fold game so it can actually be good to be in early position (first to act) so you can be the first to shove and have fold equity to steal the blinds that are now so critical.
At the same time I have been heads up at end of tournaments with both of us having big stacks with 50+BB so position was important even though only two of us because a lot of hands went post flop and even to the river.

Thank U 4 Posting.

Acting last is the key factor for position. With position regardless of our SPR we get to realize the most equity from the range of hands we play. In fact having an SPR of <3 vs SPR of >20, position becomes critical. With a larger SPR I have much more flexibility in realizing my equity OOP.

Hope this helps
:):)

M

marcvictory

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It is good to act last if there is information to act on but when someone just shoves ahead of you they now have all the fold equity so we must have a much stronger range to call then they do to shove which is why I think SPR is critical because when short most hands all action is preflop. Even if goes to a flop with low SPR its rare that there is more than one street played so again you aren't able to use your position advantage much since its over before the flop.
This is also why its often best to raise larger in blinds so you don't have to play post flop often and aren't playing OOP since often opponents fold to your larger raise.
Flip side is if you are extremely deep like 500 BB even AA is tough to play early position because you are usually seeing all streets and are OOP for all of them.
These are extreme examples but I think illustrate the importance of SPR when deciding opening ranges in various positions and that this is the strongest single factor in most cases although who you are playing and any reads on them is also important.

thetick33

thetick33

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
not sure I would play this way sure is a plan but i play position when can but still going to play my opponents, my hands, and my gut.... Might make me mix up at times not shoving or just limping etc.. but im not huge on need a certain chip stack at such and such point in order to succeed.... i do have a basic diagram but most of it is feeling at right times...