Position, Position, Position

R

rigor mortis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you are looking for a house it's all about "Location, Location, Location", I poker it's all about "Position, Position, Position". This cannot be stressed enough. In early positions you don't know how many players will bet. In the middle ones it's about 50-50. Without doubt the best positions for gainihg usefol information are the late ones. You know how many will be against you, and how much it will cost you.

johnwat2

johnwat2

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Position is HUGE. Tough to play a good pocket pair in early position.

korneel

korneel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Indeed
Learning about position play was a huge improvement for my game.

xbronk

xbronk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the position is key but there are many factors that determine I have lost more hands out of pocision than in a late but that the decision of a certain advantage does not make you a winner good luck greetings:p

R

RocwX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not only you get more information on other players, but it's easier to bluff when you are last to act. Just be sure not to overestimate your position because the other player might be slow playing a monster. For a good balance on the long run, I tend to bet roughly the same amount while bluffing or value betting to remain unpredictable.

Martin Carreira

Martin Carreira

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believe that in all positions it allows you to have information and depending on our hand, each move allows us to get something rich for our game. In case of early positions, with a very strong hand like KK-AA-AK, we can take the initiative and see how the other players play after our move. The later positions, although we have already seen the other players, allow us not to put anything in the pot without first playing. I believe that each position has its own and has to know how to take advantage at every moment.

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you are looking for a house it's all about "Location, Location, Location", I poker it's all about "Position, Position, Position". This cannot be stressed enough. In early positions you don't know how many players will bet. In the middle ones it's about 50-50. Without doubt the best positions for gainihg usefol information are the late ones. You know how many will be against you, and how much it will cost you.
Sorry, couldn't resists....
Very true, but in case of 'rigor mortis' the position usually is "horizontal", and ''underway to the morgue'', or already ''in the morgue''.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The position is actually even more important than we think.
A good or bad position literally changes the interest of your starting hand. The best position is in front of the dealer's button, the worst is sitting "under the gun", to the left of the Big Blind. Thus, it is important to know that some strong hands are worth less the stroke in early position and more marginal hands take interest in later positions.

Dzob

Dzob

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Attacking with a button is just as popular as 3-betting him from BB. I never steal blinds with trash cards.

J

Jack Reacher

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With the pocket aces position is irrelevant.

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
More players need to learn this!
Position is so important might be even more important than the cards dealt.
Thats the #1 thing I would teach a new player about

I

Izfensina

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Position is so crucial especially in late stages of the game where the game gets tougher position will help you get all infos and even 3bet with air to take big pots just with your position and table image.

R

rudy988

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree , position is very important part when playing poker , and you need to know your opponents and their plays , and play position accordingly ;) Sometimes its best to check and trap them (if you think u have the best hand) , sometimes you need to bluff them , and sometimes you just have to surrender ! All depends on board/opponents & their style ;)

Santiman

Santiman

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Understanding the importance of position drastically help my game.. it's defiantly one of the most important factors in playing well!

Serkish

Serkish

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree i've been practicing all month on positional play... for example, A10o is bad in early position but in late position it looks great (i'm sure some will disagree)

You can also learn a lot about players as well who play out of position and their ranges of playing

U

UncleConRon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion

I like the late position because its a good place to shove if you got good hole cards and the blinds are up or there was a little power bet. A lot of the times they will fold and you take home a pretty good pot.

pepsilv

pepsilv

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Position is very useful in poker and mostly everything, but it is not useful for all of us.

U

UncleConRon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion

One thing about position thats a problem is when you buy-in late in a tournament. The blinds are up so it nice to be at the beginning so you can access the cards a little before betting.

Serkish

Serkish

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One thing about position thats a problem is when you buy-in late in a tournament. The blinds are up so it nice to be at the beginning so you can access the cards a little before betting.

I agree with you, jump late in tourny hope to be early position to get over the blinds already.

NWPatriot

NWPatriot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At what point, from a short table perspective, do you think that position is irrelevent?

What i mean is, with only two players at a table, i don't think position means a whole lot. There is a lot more going on with trapping and deception heads up, and a player who relies on position alone might be in trouble. So if a 2 player table means little, and a 10 player table it means a lot, then what about position impacts at a 4 player or a 6 player table.

My opinion is that it is still an advantage but not nearly as much as at a 10 player table. The reason this is important to grasp, is that once we get to the flop, there are generally only one or two players left, so the amount of info to be gained is less and we are now playing more of a heads up type of thing.

So... tell me how crazy i am.

John Turnner

John Turnner

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
here everyone knows what's important, I also know it, so why are we playing freerolls and low limits so far?)))

cleder7

cleder7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think a good position will give you an advantage when the flop cooperates. If you can get a good read of the game and analyze the possibilities it is possible to bluff or capture some chips with a medium hand. So it's one more variable to pay attention to.

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
One of the essential three P's in poker. Power, Position and Patience are something you need to be aware of in the success as a poker player. My biggest leak as a newbie to the game was A Q from early position. Was fine from MP and LP with winning but EP was a huge loser. When I got a hard learning lesson with position.

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Position is important because you can play loose or more wide range on an open play when players behind you fold. Or fold a tough hand when there are a lot of callers.