Poker position

M

Markise007

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
is position important in Poker , what are the best position and what they called ? Thank you

R

RocwX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Position is one of the most important aspects of poker. Playing in position gives you edge against the other players. If you play after the other players you have all information possible and can make better decisions. For that reason, the best position in a given hand is the Dealer aka Button (BTN) who is the last to act postflop, the second best position is the player to the right of the dealer which is the Cutoff (CO) and it goes like that. There are a lot of good articles online explaining in detail the particularities regarding position in poker and how you should adjust your range accordingly.

Ronaldo7

Ronaldo7

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yep, button is a place to play any two...

shykarno

shykarno

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Position is the first rule, and cards are the second rule that affects your game. Well, this is my opinion)))

D

Dolphin666

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The best position is of course the button, but the skill of the players and the overall laziness of the table are very important.

Yanko57

Yanko57

Community Guide
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The higher limits you play, the more important the position is.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The position is called under the gun (UTG) when it is located after the big blind. This position is a big disadvantage because we must then speak first after the distribution of the cards (pre-flop) and then decide to pass (fold), pay or follow (call), or then raise (raise). of the "flop", the first to speak is the player who is "small blind".

It is called "At the button" when you are the dealer (Dealer). This position is the best because you speak last after the flop. For other positions, the tactical situation deteriorates as the button moves to the left, until the small blind.

A

Aca0012

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The poker position is everything. It means a lot and it's important to play from the right position. The best position after the flop is the button position when the last one is asked and I usually play my hand, from that position most often then. You should pay attention to the position because it is much easier and better to play when you are in a good position. I'm still learning, but I know basically, and I put poker's position in the first place, then everything else.

K

kl3opatra

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The best position ---- button!!!

B

bstest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Common knowledge says the button and cutoff are the best positions. But each position has its advantages and disadvantages based on your stack size and the demonstrated play of your opponents.

U

UncleConRon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion

I don't know what th positions are called. However, you usually hit at about the same time you hit before where the dealer button was when you hit the first time. If the dealer button was on the first position when you hit, it is more then likely will be at the first position when you hit again same player with dealer button.

Rosxana13

Rosxana13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Position is one of the most important things in Poker, to have a simle description while more close to the button more hands you should play, following this statement this means that from UTG (Under The Gun) you should play only strong hand this is the position next to the Big blind, and now from UTG+1 you should stil play only strong hands but maybe adding 2 or 3 more to your range and this pattern following to mid position to the button when you're on the button you should play a wide range of hands because of the advantage of seeing all the players act before you do... is my opinion :D

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
There is no doubt that in poker the position is one of the most important aspects to consider ... to the extent that you are better able to play with a closer position you will be successful in poker ... When you are in the Cut- off or on the button is when you must be more aggressive and try to take advantage of that position ..!

andy112211

andy112211

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Later the position the better play

I agree position is a very important aspect of poker. The closer you are to the button the better off you are. At a late time in tournament play when the blinds are deep and there are big stacks you can use position to steal the blinds and ante. Good luck.

1k95

1k95

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The best positions are considered to be those that are in the button or cut-off status, on the turn and river you will have the last word. This advantage allows you to make a decision based on the results of the analysis of the actions of all previous participants.

FerC182

FerC182

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the best positions in poker are button and UTG, in the button your position is easier because you are the last one to speak it gives you an advantage, already in the UTG you open the game with a 3bet making the opponents loose the maoa with more frequency.BB is a defensive position, I do not know if it's a good position, but I like playing UTG.

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are certain hands that you play a little different in early positions, and like we've said on here, almost anything on the button. You have the best position. If you're on the button with garbage and facing a 3-bet, then it is a fold for sure.

W

whosdaboss25

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Overall position at the table cards and wildness of play are the 3 major factors of game play.
Position best to play is button cutoff and hijack cards you control what you play and that is all in a factor on how wild the table is playing if the table is tight you can open your range a bit but if the table is hog wild you have to play extremely tight. Some people make a great living in poker playing the position only game they fold fold fold until it gets to the three power positions they play cards when they get playable hand and they play then super aggressive and make a real good living doing it. I see it all the time in a live setting to people folding until they get those great position plays then bam they play like crazy people in position.
so yes it is the most important thing in poker.

neiroob

neiroob

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are hands with which I will never play in the early positions, but I will gladly play against several, in the late positions - these are small bundles of the same suit.

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Button is the best position at the poker table. After the flop the last bet will be on the button. In addition, the button - an excellent position to "steal" the blinds using bluff and semi-bluff, especially in tournament play.

Minus272c

Minus272c

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Position is a very big factor in the game.
Being in last position in the hand gives you alot more information
than being first, and information is key to victory :D

Last edited:
tihomir_kula

tihomir_kula

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
Position is 25% success.Gives a lot of information.

Inequitas

Inequitas

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Im still developing an understanding of position... I've discovered sharkscope and can see where my leaks... complex!!!

I dont understand most of whats in the application, only that Im not raising enough relative to position before flop.

Coming off subject maybe but an application like that can help you understand raising relative to position. Vpip etc i dont yet understand...

The charts are good though giving an idea whats best to bet on relative to position...

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
is position important in Poker , what are the best position and what they called ? Thank you

Having the last say in what action happens in the hand on every street is HUGE.

You get to see what all the other players do first and then you can decide what to do.

You will see that you lose the largest pots when you are out of position and you will win the biggest pots when you play in position on the other players.

Some players try to revers position but that is tricky and another topic.

Try only playing in position and see how that works for your game.

Good luck !