poker math - your secrets

EVA777

EVA777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have one problem in the game: from the very beginning and up to the middle of the game I type a good stack, but then ... it starts! Even with a good hand I lose! Is this due to the fact that I do not know very well poker math: knowledge of the pot odds, mathematical expectation and calculation of equity?
I study all this, but there is not enough time to calculate in the game. I heard that many poker rooms do not allow a calculator during the game. And how do you get out of these situations? Share, if not secret?:heeeellll

ratmantoo

ratmantoo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I use the 42 rule method (think its called that anyway)

Basically work out your outs on the flop taking into account over cards, multiply by 4. This will give your approximate chance of winning the hand. When the outs are over 12 then the calculation isn't accurate though. I then use this to estimate pot odds/ implied odds.

On the turn do the same but multiply by 2 instead.

Its a quick dirty method of doing it, however it is always good to know the exact odds for certain scenarios ie
flush draw after the flop is approximately 32.5%
open ended straight is approx 31.5%
gut shot straight is only 9%
improving a pair around 12%

btw the chance of getting AA,AK,QQ,JJ is only around 2%

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would suspect that the problem is not your poker math, but properly adjusting to late stage poker. The blinds and antes start taking a much more significant portion of your stack and you need to be able to adjust to off set this.

As far as losing with a good hand, we are all victims of a lesser hand drawing out on us. In late stage poker will see players take more chances out of necessity or risk being blinded out. You need to be more aggressive and dissuade speculative hands from trying to draw on you.

Spaceman

Spaceman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with Callme Floppy. Antes and Blinds in late stages tend to be the reason for more swings and costly mistakes than first stages. Although getting your poker maths straight may help not making costly mistakes it wont help with the swings of variance. Also in early stages most stacks are roughly the same, in late stages you can easily find stacks that will call your pocket kings with just suited Ace rags, donk on you and bust you out. Maths are the most important part of poker, but in your case focus on learning how to play correctly with a big stack.

That advice helped me a lot when I had the same problem with yours.

EVA777

EVA777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I use the 42 rule method (think its called that anyway)

Basically work out your outs on the flop taking into account over cards, multiply by 4. This will give your approximate chance of winning the hand. When the outs are over 12 then the calculation isn't accurate though. I then use this to estimate pot odds/ implied odds.

On the turn do the same but multiply by 2 instead.

Its a quick dirty method of doing it, however it is always good to know the exact odds for certain scenarios ie
flush draw after the flop is approximately 32.5%
open ended straight is approx 31.5%
gut shot straight is only 9%
improving a pair around 12%

btw the chance of getting AA,AK,QQ,JJ is only around 2%

I will try to use your advice. The words of Doyle Brunson are more suitable for offline poker. In any case, the online poker program was based on mathematical calculations and it is absolutely necessary to know the secrets of poker mathematics.

EVA777

EVA777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with Callme Floppy. Antes and Blinds in late stages tend to be the reason for more swings and costly mistakes than first stages. Although getting your poker maths straight may help not making costly mistakes it wont help with the swings of variance. Also in early stages most stacks are roughly the same, in late stages you can easily find stacks that will call your pocket kings with just suited Ace rags, donk on you and bust you out. Maths are the most important part of poker, but in your case focus on learning how to play correctly with a big stack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDCnPzOPW1w
That advice helped me a lot when I had the same problem with yours.

:icon_boun:icon_boun:icon_boun:icon_boun:icon_boun:icon_boun :D You are right, I do not know how to calm down when there is a big stack! So it seems that will always be gain ...:star:

blanktheman

blanktheman

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
maths plays a part but i rely more on experience. I rely on reading the situation. The more you play, the more you'll start seeing the same thing over and over. For example the open ended straight is supposed to be 31% but a player seems to only hit it 5% of the time.

tw082

tw082

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the math doesnt always work out like its supposed too, but having an idea of the percentages can definitely up your game.

EVA777

EVA777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
maths plays a part but i rely more on experience. I rely on reading the situation. The more you play, the more you'll start seeing the same thing over and over. For example the open ended straight is supposed to be 31% but a player seems to only hit it 5% of the time.

Yes, probably, own experience is better. During the game, there is simply no time for mathematical calculations. Calculator in poker rooms is not allowed to use during the game?

dedok0525

dedok0525

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Mathematics of poker at the level of elementary school. Multiply and divide by 2.4 to 2.4
First calculated numbers are not likely to seem very simple task, but very quickly begins to memorize how many chances such as 8 outs, 15
Knowing your outs you already know your odds, and potential odds