RedGnom

Run, Forester! Run!
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi all!
Is maths in poker really important for you?

Samsonate

Samsonate

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For sure!
You need to note the probability all the time!

Samsonate

Samsonate

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What did you already study in poker math (probability)?

I'm just a newbie in poker, but read some articles about odds and outs, because they just are damn important:D
Here is a link from the intelli Pokerschool (in german, but I'm sure it's aviable in other languages) https://www.intellipoker.de/articles/Poker-Schule-Odds-Outs
And with a bit of googling you will find ton of information about poker and probability, here on CC is a odds calculator also! https://www.cardschat.com/poker-odds-calculator.php

T

Thenightrain

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Massively important; if you're looking for a starting point get to know the following: pot odds, outs, EV, implied odds and equity vs a range.

This will all sound like a lot at first but most of it is very simple math when you get you're head round it and practice it a bit.

M

matnautico

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think oversell It a little bit. All you need is basic math to calculate your odds quickly, other than that there are tools that will do the work for you.

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The mathematics of poker is really important, playing poker without paying attention to poker math is impossible because your career as a professional player will end quickly. Luck is not unimportant, but you can not influence it, but you can tighten up your knowledge of poker mathematics.

paulinhlt

paulinhlt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course. Math is important in poker and in your life. Haha

RedGnom

RedGnom

Run, Forester! Run!
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Luck is not unimportant, but you can not influence it, but you can tighten up your knowledge of poker mathematics.

This is the reason why i began to look on the poker in a new light....
Luck is a part of the game, skills are the key to success.
You cant adjust your luck (randomizer) but you can manage to improve your understanding of the game through deep study of such kind of things as probability and statistics.

RedGnom

RedGnom

Run, Forester! Run!
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Of course. Math is important in poker and in your life. Haha

Сompared to the life, poker is just arithmetic...real life is a math...advanced math. Sure!)

RedGnom

RedGnom

Run, Forester! Run!
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Massively important; if you're looking for a starting point get to know the following: pot odds, outs, EV, implied odds and equity vs a range.

This will all sound like a lot at first but most of it is very simple math when you get you're head round it and practice it a bit.

I think oversell It a little bit. All you need is basic math to calculate your odds quickly, other than that there are tools that will do the work for you.

Well, Gents!
Let me single out an example. 4 times running i got AA. 3 previous time i won in all-in.
Foreseeingly the probability and statistics in poker (3 of 4 straight times with AA may be won) would you go all-in again?)

lezhnindima

lezhnindima

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
mathematics the main part of poker without it to win is not real))

D

Dmutruu89

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
for me personally, the math in poker is not important. I always watch the game on the situation. what is the meaning of consider a probability if it's just random chance

RedGnom

RedGnom

Run, Forester! Run!
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
for me personally, the math in poker is not important. I always watch the game on the situation. what is the meaning of consider a probability if it's just random chance

Nice remark! Thanks

rnmkr

rnmkr

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not really sure where is math actually involved in poker, (unless you calculate all combos)

BlackJesus

BlackJesus

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I cant imagine playing poker without it. Only newbies play based on their impressions or intuition, that often is misleading. A player that does no tknow the odds, often overvalues his cards.

In most cases I already know the probabilities in my head and in most cases - follow the pot odds.

I earn more money in poker than I lose. That should tell you something.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
in any case, you should know your chances of winning in percentage !!! if you do not know how to properly podschitat your chances of winning during the game then just a fish !!!! so that mathematics in poker in the first place!

vitalii029

vitalii029

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
mathematics certainly plays a big role in poker but I think it's not important there is still a lot of things you should pay attention

Twix

Twix

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Math is very important. Pot odds, implied odds, equity can help you to win, or save your money.

B

BetterNot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Are there any tips to quickly calculate the important odd or do you just get better at it over time? Usually i dont have the time for everything

thatguy6793

thatguy6793

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Are there any tips to quickly calculate the important odd or do you just get better at it over time? Usually i dont have the time for everything

I have the same problem with online poker, the timer just doesn't give enough time for some of the later parts of a hand to run pot odds, implied odds, win percentages, etc etc. I'd suggest a HUD if you can afford it and are really looking to grow in poker, I have a free one for BOL that calculates pot odds, outs, win percents and probability of other hands being made by the field and keeps notes/stats on players and if you use BOL normally but otherwise I think that's the best option because the worst feeling is having to make a cut call/raise because you can't do percentages in your head. I'm sure over time you'd get quicker and better at the math and with the tricks there are online to shorten the math, a HUD isn't the only solution. Hope that helps!

R

Running Nose II

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Only if you wish to know your outs and the odds of winning, ie to be a winning player.

G

Gnikace

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Math is essential. Poker is math after all. But also psichology!

C

CHAVIKI

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Basic counting

For sure math is important in poker, starting in the odds and probability of a hand, but at least to count what can beat you and with what you can win you need math

M

mabeyta

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just finished reading a book by Alton Hardin called Essential Poker Math. It was very basic and easy to understand. I learned the basics of pot odds, implied odds, equity and +/-EV. If you want a basic understanding of Poker Math. I would recommend this book. Next I'm moving on to a book called Kill Everyone by Lee Nelson. Looking to improve my Tourney skills.

Good luck on your Poker Journey :)