Poker: By logic or intuition?

LenilsonF7

LenilsonF7

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When immerse ourselves in the primordial knowledge to understand the game of Poker and become a profitable player, it is essential to understand its logic.

We note that about 90% of the players do not have the slightest idea of ​​how to use the reasoning of Poker logic su favor.

We tend to act intuitively, which is often the right and most do not. This is something very important to us that we want to be more successful at poker, the act of self discipline to understand how it develops the logic of this fascinating sport of the mind.

And you, as it has played in the poker tables? Intuitively or understanding their logic?

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
In my case, I think it is 85% logic and 15% intuition.
Logic is the basis for action during the game, intuition comes with experience.
Good luck.

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What conclusion are we arriving on these percentages? Is it logic or intuition?

Basing poker success on these two elements doesn't seem to put the correct building blocks to learning. Perhaps if ones play has an increase in logic consistently, that would be good. There should be a correlation with the knowledge base you build to allow the logic to pull from. Not studying and learning, what good is logic when you have not much to pull from.

I'll pass on giving a percentage, not sure that it would accurate or relevant.

Last edited:
Alex Sentsov

Alex Sentsov

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker is a mixture of skill, perseverance, intuition and luck! One cannot be without the other!

liuouhgkres

liuouhgkres

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KH
Chips
I try to play by logic and use intuition to shape my ranges. For example, when I feel my opponent is my passive and rarely thin value bets and rarely bluffs, then I would call tighter, but not much tighter. Blindly using your intuition, I think, would be a fatal mistake.

onondaga

onondaga

Ukraine
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Poker: By logic or intuition?

By calculation! ;) i think.

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think everyone who studied the game of poker acts logically. Their knowledge will not allow them to act intuitively. Intuition is more applied to the actions of the enemy. If you do not know how he plays.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Logic becomes intuition after enough hands/situations have been seen.

I've got millions of hands under my belt and it seldom comes up that I have to logically figure something new out.

Extreme example might be; When we are very young, and curious, we might touch a hotplate and get burned. We logic it out and come to the realization we don't need to do that again. After not too long, it becomes intuitive to avoid very hot things without protection.

romych007

romych007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Although a bit of intuition is presented in poker games of most players, the biggest part of poker game take logic and calculations.

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The answer is yes. I like the saying: think long-think wrong. Mostly the choices are simple unless I make it complicated.

N

notahead

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Definitely poker is great game cause it is mix of all these things but fact is don't start thinking at a level above your opponents or you are in trouble small stakes go ABC cause man the players their have no logic just see their cards no ideas to range of hands you could possibly have they will never fold and think they are genius when in fact real level with thinking player you would get Insta folds so best keep it simple when money is low as you build up stakes intution becomes more of a thing

Y

Yoda_Priest_X_Napo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Intuition is a subconscious message coming from your mind and sometimes it can be based on logic.At least in your minds mind it does for sure.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I use both, logic and intuition. Both of them are very important. Logic is something more specific which goes together with study. Intuition is something more indefinite and can be improoved by experience.

wsbar

wsbar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm studying for the purpose of conquering this wisdom, I hope you get one day. I learn a lot here in cardschat and play the daily tournaments is definitely no sensational, a great opportunity to improve my game, I hope to be here for a long time.

Polytarp

Polytarp

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
In order to beat the technicians of the game you need to do some wonky stuff that will put some outliers in their databases and give them pause. If you can do this and catch the right cards at the right time, that is intuition and luck.

F

FloppyNutzs

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In certain situations you have to defy the logic and use you gut. I can't recall too many times where I've done this but relying on your gut for me seems to come into play more in live games.

Another situation where using your gut might be when you realize a player is tilted and you have to open up your range a bit and make some plays that generally you would not make.

There is one situation that I would like to share...
I was heads up with the opponent to my left I had KK and playing 1/2 no limit.
The hand was heads up pre flop. The flop texture was ugly, something like 8,9,10 with two suited cards. I c-bet for half pot and got called. The turn missed the board with a rag. I bet again and got called. The river was a Jack, yielding 4 to a straight on the board and also potential flush. I check and my opponent bet small but I too many hands in my opponent's range beat me so I let it go while showing I was folding KK.

A few hand later it was my opponent and me again heads up. This time I had AJ, I missed the flop turn and river completely. But this time when my opponent bet on the river I used my gut and made the call. My opponent turns over KJ with king high and is competently beside himself that I was able to call the river with ace high.

In this situation I had realized that my opponent was trying to use the information I previously gave him against me. He thought I was too disciplined to call on the river with ace high and he thought he could buy me out.

So sometimes yeah you just have to use your gut.
Maybe it to make a sick call, or maybe it all in for your tournament life with some weak pocket pair that you just know are going to hit a set.

cwdignus

cwdignus

Carpe diem
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
one must be very careful with the mathematics of poker because poker is an incomplete game of information .... so the calculation is not accurate ..... approximated .... intuition is complex its exact definition ....to play poker with profitability we need to know mathematical calculation directed to poker, be lucky and be very intuitive and a good liar pretend

THbc19

THbc19

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think in poker one should mix intuition with logic. It is not easy but it is the right thing to do.

AlexStar1981

AlexStar1981

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Without basic knowledge intuition will not help. And the more experience, the better intuition works.

K

KidKNG

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Actually, the game is for anyone who knows how to calculate the odds and use it to their advantage, most of the time that we lost a hand was because we let something happen or we did not do the right action at that moment, if we had left the hand before, more on preflop or turn. There are many things that influence the pot win, but surely the right way to play is with probability in your favor. But I'm not going to be hypocritical, sometimes I play on intuition, I always separate some of my stack for future plays like this, always analyzing the flops and thinking about the possible cards that can come out in the future can also help in this situation, poker is a brilliant game, the game of the mind, we are always in search of more knowledge every day to be able to improve our game more and more and manage to take the pot home.

57noona

57noona

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I use a combo of these traits. I just try to use whatever works at the time.

S

StatusOmega525

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I actually try to play logical, try to work on figuring my hand odds vs pot odds, bet sizing, that sort of thing. *im still new to actual poker strategy, so im still in that First Steps phase* however, I've found that at this early stage, I do better when I back way down on the logic and go more off instinct. I know I should try not to do that, and I'm hoping as my skills and my confidence grows, and I start getting used to applying proper strategy that I'll be able to get that under control. Although I dont want to completely lose it, as poker by nothing but cold hard logic doesn't appeal to me much

dcproster

dcproster

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I almost always use poker logic,but seldom I follow my intuition what often backfires.Maybe i have a bad intuition,but i suggest to follow poker logic.

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believe that it is better to rely on logic. Intuition in poker can be used, if a person is confident in his intuition.

G

greg mattos

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
logic

Early in freerolls it is mostly logic but later you just have to play what your guts tell you to do.