Poker Learning Sites - which one do you use? (APT?)

hubcio96

hubcio96

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I just came on the www.AdvancedPokerTraining.com Is anyone using it? Worth it? It costs $40/month, $25/M if you buy 6 months, $20/M if you pay for a year, and $500 lifetimes - all with 30 day money back guarantee. Worth it? What other site would you recommend for an aspiring recreational player. I have a full time job, two kids, and usually spend 1-2 hours a day in week, and 2-4 hours a day on a weekend (unless I'm deep in a tourney).
Personal coaches are to expensive ( I think). Any recommendations?

Highsolation

Highsolation

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Have you tried CardsChat's free training course?
It's quite complete, covers a lot of topics and gives examples of different scenarios.

D

Dhendrixon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have not used that one specifically but I am premium member to pokercoaching and love what they have to offer. It has really changed the way I think about poker and the way I play the game. Anything you chose I think is better than nothing at all to improve your game. The key to being successful at poker is continuous education.

thatguy6793

thatguy6793

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As a grad student I also have very little time/money to spend on training but one site I have paid to try out was redcap pokers The Core. It's relatively affordable ($5/week) and covers a wide range of content with more being added. It's taught based on a concept of laying strong foundation and building upon it at each level. I would say its definitely with trying for at least a week.

hubcio96

hubcio96

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for all replies. I'm between Advance and Pokercoahing. I believe poker coaching offers 3 days of free trial. I might way for BlackFriday deals and see if there are some decent promotions.

T

tschuwon

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Even if you asked about learning sites, I think reading a good book about poker might be also a very good way to educate yourself. I like to learn through different media.

D

dalzellj

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Lots of great poker books out there. If you haven't read the Super System get that into you :)

lyki67

lyki67

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BA
Chips
Youtube videos and WPT. Sometime I read some books about poker.

Havik

Havik

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Why would you need to learn about poker? There is only 3 buttons to click.

Fahrenheit451

Fahrenheit451

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm the lifetime client of APT.
IMO other sites provides mainly poker knowledge, but APT emphasizes practice.

This means - you can play against poker bots thousands of hands a day without risking your money. Amount of hands played is much bigger than in poker sites because
1) bots do not make pauses,
2)you can skip to next round after you fold (which may be 80% of hands) .

So if you plan to practice massively (several hours a day) APT may be beneficial.

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The best benefit of APT is tracking and evaluating your play against their bots with a majority of the focus on preflop play. Its good for teaching folks starting hands but anyone can get that from a book and some discipline at the playchip tables.

They'll track your stats against the bots like if you 3bet enough or too much, if you know starting hands, stuff that pokertracker gives you. And it will judge your play by comparing your play to a statistical model. So its a good alternative but I'm thinking if you can use poker tracker on the micro limits or especially on play chip tables then I would go that way especially if PT4 is only a one time fee of $100 or so because APT doesn't offer lifetime memberships anymore and its expensive! lol.

The bots are better than playchippers or freerollers but the truth is you're not going to face those types of players at the tables playing micro limits or $1/2 live so its best to actually face the folks you're going to play rather than practicing against the higher poker IQ folks either bots or real. I mean, zero point in training against a serious professional player when you're actually never going to face that type of player and you can't beat the folks you normally play at the lower stakes like a bunch of folks shoving all in with Ax with blinds 15/30 in a freeroll, lol.

You can try APT for 30 days and they offer a money back guarantee and the folks will respond to emails and questions quickly so its a good option but there are also old pre Black Friday poker strategy books that offer sound fundamental advice you that you can get used sent to your door for a few bucks if you're in the States or downloaded on Kindle on Amazon for under $10 so way under the price of a month of APT.

I believe if people study a book for at least 6 months to a year then it would be better investment than going the APT route. If you can use Poker Tracker on playchipers then that would be a better route than APT. But you have to put the effort and study time into it whatever route you go. So you can try to the APT route but at $200 to $250 a year or even at $100 bucks a year with their 4 year/$399 plan that's a lot, I mean, a lot of poker books that you could invest in your poker education and APT is only focused on NL Holdem.

Last edited: