Poker learning process

Tvorets

Tvorets

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How competently to build the process of learning poker?

HobokenNJ

HobokenNJ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hope to be a competent player someday, but it seems to me the way to success is to play and study. Playing only is unlikely to be successful because you won't have the theoretical underpinnings. Study only is unlikely to be successful because this seems like a skill that is learned by doing.

Find the right mix of play & study that works for you.

I'd recommend playing freerolls to start, and mix in some microstakes.

As for studying, there is a ton of free material, and also a number of books aimed at beginners.

belizebum

belizebum

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
Be careful not to get overloaded with information from the internet. I am there now. Saved things I wanted to read later, now I am so far behind I am in first, but never at the tables..hahhaa

thatguy6793

thatguy6793

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'd suggest looking at Sky Matsuhashi's podcast "Smart poker study". He has a lot of good material on how to study and how to tell when you understand the material. A lot of it involved study something (like 3bet) from forums/podcast/videos etc., go play a lot of 3bet spots, study the spots and figure out if you played them correctly and repeat a few times until 1) you don't really have to think about the spots and 2) you're making the most +EV play consistently.

Bluffzone68

Bluffzone68

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
Hi
My recommendation will be to spend a lot of time on cardschat, read all posts/threads and every comment there in.

There is a lot of information right here for you to learn and improve your game.

Cardchats daily freerolls are the best, good poker players and not too many players.

Thank you cardchats.

redboy23

redboy23

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I suggest:

- A good balance of study and practice that suits you.
- Go to the tables with a particular focus in mind - work on your biggest leak first

One of the biggest goals to have is avoid shoving unless you have the nuts or you are very short stacked and in the red zone.

Discipline is key and finding a good spot to learn.

T

tomk7788

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would be selective about who to take advice from. Also, the learning process seems daunting but remember that once everything starts clicking you'll learn at an accelerating rate.

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
In poker my friend never stops learning ... every day you must study, read, watch videos or news about this wonderful game ...! never believe that you already know everything ... because there will always be something new to learn ...!

R

Russian Idiot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it all depends on your mood; you want to win, you win without without any advice, you only have to rely on yourself. Poker schools this is bullshit!