yogo9

yogo9

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
I just wondering how I can develop my poker face so that others couldn't read my unintentional body language :confused:

EvertonGirl

EvertonGirl

Professional Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I don't play live so I can't help you with that.

It is a good job I don't play live as I know my poker face would be so bad, like if I flopped a FH I know I wouldn't be able to hide my excitement :D

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I just wondering how I can develop my poker face so that others couldn't read my unintentional body language :confused:

Like everything else it takes practice. This is one of the benefits of meditation practice, you just sit there being unreactive to anything that surfaces. This helps you with your poker face.

Another way to practice could be to watch funny movies or exciting things on youtube and to practice not reacting to them. Similarly not getting reactive in conversations will help too.

And the best way of course is to just do it over and over again at the table. The key I find is finding something YOU CAN FOCUS ON to keep your mind busy while you wait for your opponent to make their place. This can be focusing on your breathing or just staring at a specific spot on the poker table.

Another approach is the Phil Hellmuth technique of 'conceal don't reveal' where you cover up with a hat, shades, and use your hands to protect yourself. More info can be found on this in the book with Joe Navarro "Read em and Reap".

I find that's an easy option when I'm feeling a little tired or uncomfortable with the limits, and when I'm at a table I'm more comfortable with I practice the first ways I mentioned.

Hope that helps! :angel:

yogo9

yogo9

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
Like everything else it takes practice. This is one of the benefits of meditation practice, you just sit there being unreactive to anything that surfaces. This helps you with your poker face.

Another way to practice could be to watch funny movies or exciting things on youtube and to practice not reacting to them. Similarly not getting reactive in conversations will help too.

And the best way of course is to just do it over and over again at the table. The key I find is finding something YOU CAN FOCUS ON to keep your mind busy while you wait for your opponent to make their place. This can be focusing on your breathing or just staring at a specific spot on the poker table.

Another approach is the Phil Hellmuth technique of 'conceal don't reveal' where you cover up with a hat, shades, and use your hands to protect yourself. More info can be found on this in the book with Joe Navarro "Read em and Reap".

I find that's an easy option when I'm feeling a little tired or uncomfortable with the limits, and when I'm at a table I'm more comfortable with I practice the first ways I mentioned.

Thanks Evan for the tips .yes you did help and for sure I am going to check that book

EvertonGirl

EvertonGirl

Professional Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips

That's great, maybe I can go live after all. I mean I can stare at the table, not a problem there, I always stared into space in school, I was always getting into trouble for it. :D

I will definitely need practice with reacting to things though, maybe I should go on a rollercoaster and see if I can just sit there with no emotion on my face.

Sergei 9417

Sergei 9417

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I liked your advice, I am a very emotional person and I can’t keep calm facial expressions badly, I will definitely use your advice, thank you.

Z

zhilipp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do practice while playing online. I try not to react to anything that happens and when I know that a card is coming or I make a bet or something I cover up my mouth due to its potential tells. I am not a big fan of wearing sunglasses at the Table so I sometimes squeeze my eyes when a new card comes because subconsius reaction can be a tell.

I have so much respect for a good Pokerface. Have Fun practicing

M

Mikeloti13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You need to train it. And its not easy. Try at first to look at one point at the table and think about the stupidest thing you can and really give it a thought and drift away from the table.

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
One of the biggest tips I got from someone I play regularly with is that they always try to engage me in conversation when we were in a hand together because he could get a super reliable read from me.

Now when I'm in a hand, I shut down my chat. I limit it purely to check bet, raise or fold, unless I'm facing a bet on the river and trying to get some information out of my opponent.

Remember, your poker face is not limited to just your face. Your whole body language can tell a story. Leaning back in your chair, looking at your phone, or just carrying on a conversation straight after looking at your cards can be strong indicators that your not interested. Equally, leaning forward, keep looking at your cards, or looking at your cards and then immediately looking away from the table are common tells that someone is strong.

Daniel Negreanu is the master at this. He has a couple of videos floating around where he talks about tells. Worth a watch.

Last thing I would say is don't put too much time on tells and reads. Unless you have a glaringly obvious tell that you need to stamp out, playing good solid poker will almost always improve your game faster.