Poker coaching is it worth it?

profcrippel

profcrippel

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I’ve been considering poker coaching has anyone had experience with private or public/group coaching and if so was it worth it?

R

Riversalmon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've always wanted to try poker coaching but it's pretty pricey. I heard it's well worth it

Misaki

Misaki

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
sure it's worth.
of course it mostly have sense if you make a decent volume, try to improve your game outside of tables. Because if you are a total begginer then it could be some kind of wasting your time because your training would be focused on learning you fundamentals and that's what you can do yourself.
Anyway hiring a coach is best what people can do in their poker career. Coach will find your leaks in few minutes, you will better understand ranges, you will be more aware of your actions and you will improve your game pretty fast.
Of course prices are the main problem for many players but if you stay on some stakes so long and there is no problem for you to spend some money for your improvement of your game then hire a coach. It's almost always a good investment.

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I find that there is no need to spend money on coaches. It is better to spend this money, for example, on a new or a second monitor, on a book, or on a game. I am convinced that any player can succeed on his own, thanks to patience and discipline.

krisi77

krisi77

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's worth it. From a "next to stand" point the mistakes are well observed. You also learn things more easily. Personally, I have never had a coach, but if I had one I wouldn't have made that many mistakes

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
It is very difficult to find your mistakes by yourself !!! On the part of the error is always more noticeable.

R

RiverKing422

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
absolutely poker coaching can definitely help your game and show you things that you didn't even know it is great to have a mentor or somebody else that's knowledgeable in the game that can teach you you wants her that this game takes a day to learn and a lifetime to master you have to remember that at the tables everybody has different strategies and everybody plays differently in every way the way you play hands might be totally different than what somebody else does maybe if you combine those together they can greatly improve your game

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends on you're ambition. Lot people get so far on learning aids and need that one on one instruction to get to the next level. Playing above micro-stakes it can pay for itself in long run.

Not sure where you are with poker and what level. How much away from the table you spend learning or what bankroll percentage you put towards material, book or videos, those should be used first. Don't want put the carriage before horse.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have had half a dozen coaches, and I think all of them have helped me improve my game, but some of them were just mildly helpful and others were really good. Most of the time you get what you pay for. The best way to get the most bang for your buck is to find a "new" coach with great results who is just starting out coaching and giving a good deal on coaching packages. Ideally if you could find a coach that was coached by a great player then even better.

bianconi_10

bianconi_10

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course, they have already covered a part of the way, so they can make you skip some steps that you would have to go through.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have never done poker coaching but all professional players say it is necessary to go through if you really want to improve your game. It has a lot of paid training that is really worth it and that allows to win temp in his learning.

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have no experience with a poker coach. But I think that to hire a coach is an effective way to improve your game. The coach can identify weaknesses and provide accurate and professional advice, that will be useful at the poker tables. First of all, you need to clarify for themselves - which financial result can the coach bring to you?

jsnake716

jsnake716

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I’ve been considering poker coaching has anyone had experience with private or public/group coaching and if so was it worth it?

Is Poker coaching worth it?? This is not a simple question, or rather, it is a simple question with many variables. What are your Poker goals? What level player are you right now? Exactly what do you expect from coaching?

There is a huge amount of "information" available for free, right now. If you consider yourself a beginner, and you play freerolls and micro stakes for fun, then I would say you can make enough improvements with "free" tools and study. You must be willing to look at your play , realistically, that sounds easy but if you read the comments on this site, you will see just how much players over value their skills or lack of skill.

Here is how I would decide, this is how I decided for myself. I was a break even "cash" player at micro's and a profitable Mtt player at micro's. So I began to study my database. I use Drive HUD with the equity calculator, I use equilab to review all my spots, I also post my hands to some sites were people will go over the pros and cons of taking certain lines. I made up my mind and said if I ever move to mid stakes , I will join a poker site like Upswing, mainly for access to other "grinders". I think that is the biggest benefit to coaching, is besides the coaching you join a group of people with the same goals that you have. I guess this is a long, long answer. I hope my point is taken

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker coaching can be extremely worth it if you are ready for it. And it can be not a waste of money, but an inefficient use of resources if you aren't ready for it.

To be ready for it I believe you need to have the following things
-Strong work ethic
-Openness to new ideas
-Willingness to work on your own
-Openness to constructive critcism

If any of these are lacking the money and time you invest in coaching will not yield much of a return. If however you have all the above then your coach will help you find blind spots and point you on new learning paths that will greatly shorten your learning curve and speed your growth. Learning someone who has first hand experience doing what you want to do will give you a lot of insights.

The great thing is with the training sites out there these days you can get high level coaching for a fraction of the cost that private costs, and when you hit a place where you feel you really need that 1-on-1 judgement/evaluation/feedback then you will be ready to get more from your coaching sessions as the coach won't need to cover any of the basics again.

This has been my experience, that training sites were the way to get really good, and that one on one coaching was the way to get from good to great. And the amount I invested (time and money wise) in each was dependent on how I was doing in my game.

Hope that helps!

S

simmo5050

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As an English teacher , I think potentially having a coach would be worth their weight in gold IF you know exactly what you want and / or can find a very good coach.

The best ones will be able to analyse your leaks and give you advice on where you are going wrong.

In my experience, though, the more you can specify what you want (and this requires quite a deep understanding), the better you are to find the right person.

Don't put up with BS either. There are a lot of shysters and sadly wannabe knownothings that'll just waste your time and money.

Try Pete Carroters Clark whose has made videos for Stars and does coaching. I have never used a coach but I get the impression he may be worth considering.