Poker Books vs Online Courses

E

ev10

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What do you guys prefer or recommend when it comes to poker study material, online sites (ie run it once and upswing) or books (ie Applications by Matthew Janda)?

I've always enjoyed studying more from books but I'm looking into getting a RIO membership soon. Just wanted to hear your guy's thoughts!

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've heard good things about Run It Once,,,i would go with that one too :wavey:

B

bellicoso

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've tried a few of both, and the online course seem to be best because they tend to get updated. I've recently taken Upswing. It's very good. However, it's not really necessary unless you're going to play higher stakes. I cancelled it because I'm still in micro-stakes, where chaos ensues on the regular, but I plan on re-subscribing once I'm leveled up.

P.S. The course here on CC looks great and it's free.

Last edited:
gambit1983

gambit1983

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I prefer books by top pros. I will put them on my phone in a pdf file and just read a little bit here and there when I have free time like on the subway or a passenger in a car

bapfel

bapfel

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
does anyone know here the Germans book of Jan Meinert, "Die Poker Uni"
Is it suitable?

C

cartonand

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They are same as long as you can learn something.

R

rollothecown

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
BOOKS VS COURSES

I PREFER BOOKS

kirkham69er

kirkham69er

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What do you guys prefer or recommend when it comes to poker study material, online sites (ie run it once and upswing) or books (ie Applications by Matthew Janda)?

I've always enjoyed studying more from books but I'm looking into getting a RIO membership soon. Just wanted to hear your guy's thoughts!

Personally i prefer online courses and the one on this site is great! I also like to watch players on Twitch and one of the most active, pretty much everyday is MattStaples amongst others too!

B

bruno1234poker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer to play and take decisions when you lived that moment... I is just me... I don't like to study Poker... You have to take risks any moment....

S

scubed

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I have thought about RIO also, but not purchased yet. I think RIO is targeting players in mid and high stakes. I'm in the micros online and $1/2 or $1/3 live. Most live tournaments I play are low stakes, except in the wsop when I took some shots.

I like a mix of online and also books. I have Learn Pro Poker and really enjoy the videos.