Poker Books (Math)

N

no1knows87

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Using the 4/2 rule was the best mathematical rule I had ever come across in my studies. I forget the name of the book. Just recall it having large cards on it and it taught me about SPR's and some other key poker strategy to enhance my game. After learning that I had 9 outs with a flush draw on the flop I multiplied those outs by 4 which equaled to 36 which was the percent chance of me catching my flush. Does anyone know the name of the book I'm talking about and how do you guys feel about this 4/2 rule? I know it's been around awhile but I like to teach it to up in coming players looking for a mathematical edge.

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
was it Cooke's rules of real poker

EvertonGirl

EvertonGirl

Professional Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
No it was Phil Gordon's "Little Green Book"

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Welcome to our community.
Unfortunately, I did not read this book.
But this year I read a book that was very useful to me.
Title of this book: "The Mental Game of Poker" Jared Tendler.

J

Joe702

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It’s always good to know your math[emoji3]

frnandoh

frnandoh

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Poker is entirely math

Playing poker profitably implies to take right decisions EVER based on math. We have to consider probabilities, statistics and logic. The psychological part is about ourselves, trying to control our mind. Rarely we use psychological factors of villains, so if it is usefull, play supported by math.

51a65125cd19d.jpg

grumblbrumbl

grumblbrumbl

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree. You have to play without emotion. To not be afraid to play a particular hand.

frnandoh

frnandoh

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I agree. You have to play without emotion. To not be afraid to play a particular hand.

There's no afraid when you know what to do and you know when you lost, you will get more value in the long run. When you really know about poker, it get like chess, a game of certainty.

B

bstest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well Sklansky and Malmuth would be happy to hear that. I guess if you can listen to music on your headset, you might as well play a probability application while you're at the table.

T

triplstacker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There's a lot of social psychology involved as well. You must be willing to exploit bad players to increase your win-rate.

quick

quick

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Math is the framework and part of the basic foundation we must master, but psychology, implied odds, table tendencies, your image, villain tendencies, etc also play an important role.

After all if you think you're beat on the river because of math alone....there's players out there exploiting your fear of the river in those spots.

EVA777

EVA777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing poker profitably implies to take right decisions EVER based on math. We have to consider probabilities, statistics and logic. The psychological part is about ourselves, trying to control our mind. Rarely we use psychological factors of villains, so if it is usefull, play supported by math.

That's right, if it comes to offline poker games. But online games are designed to download more money from the players! I think that smart programmers, when developing each player’s equity, included the contents of his online wallet! I noticed many times when my bankroll is small and close to zero - “luck” leaves me, it is worth filling a bankroll (online cashier) - the best hands come and win more often!:motz:

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, I agree with you that mathematics in poker decides, but poker still has tournaments and games in which luck plays the main role are tournaments in which stakes rise in a short time and you don’t focus on the game and you have to make quick decisions in such tournaments !

R

Richdublin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Online mathematics are everything as u can't see the player to get a read on his body language ect

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me it is not only mathematics, because if it was that way you can not differentiate between players, I mean there is no way that mathematics tells you how your opponent thinks, how tired he may be, his frustration , there is no way that mathematics can provide you with these data since they are not quantitative, that is why it is a combination of mathematics with psychology which should give you success in poker

R

Richdublin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Can't argue with that and if it's live poker it's so much easier to spot those very things and exploit them online however u need to spot the betting patterns ect which really is maths

TonyTwoCheeks

TonyTwoCheeks

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here's a funny story....
Playing free poker at a bar one day and on the bubble in this tournament I had the short stack shove into me when I'm in the big blind. The blinds were really high and her shove was about 2.2 BBs. I called dark figuring I had the right pot odds that any random hand was 35% against two big cards. We ran the board and she turned over AKo. I turned over 38o and hit the 3 on the flop to win the hand.
This started tirade #1 about how I called with 38o. Then her husband says, "No. It's worse than that. He called you dark." Tirade #2 ensues. This is all friendly banter. Through all of this complaining, the tournament director looks at them and says, "The math made him do it."
If I had known I had 38o in the hole, I never would have called.

Last edited:
R

Richdublin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Love this story tony and it shows that sometimes the math is correct even if the logic tells u the decision is wrong

K

kelvin22

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't agree. Math is the foundation, and it will give you odds %'s, probabilities and statistics (pretty much the very foundation of gambling). Simply using math, you are most likely to fail more than 80% of the time. Combining Math with the rules, previous gameplay, and (social psychology if in a live game), is a different story.
The fact that poker can't be summed up to an exact "science", is one of the reasons it cannot be declared a sport (though it's about money, and we could see it one day in the olympics). You can train yourself to run faster, but you can't train yourself to see in the future and beat the odds. Your gut will always play a part, which is not a constant, but rather a variable... in a math point of view, giving you an equation/function with way to many possible results.

R

Richdublin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
But similarly chess plays with stratagy rules and math as well as phycological facts that change person to person and game to game. Basic principles apply in every sport or in life be brilliant at the fundamentals and yuou will succeed

rikisrakis

rikisrakis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What I find most interesting is that even the aspect of the game that is generally thought to be the most subjective -- trying to read your opponent's hand -- can be reduced to math with range-based play. Of course you probably can't capture 100% of the information that's really out there, but it still does a pretty good job.

KRANKES

KRANKES

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That sounds interesting to me, where can I find more about the math in detail you are talking about?

efranto2286

efranto2286

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Hello if mathematics have great% when playing, but other aspects like reading your opponents play, the positions to read your opponents luck ...

K

kelvin22

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm talking about and how do you guys feel about this 4/2 rule? I know it's been around awhile but I like to teach it to up in coming players looking for a mathematical edge.
There is no mathematical edge... equity is equity and it's not hard to calculate. You don't really need a book to understand that. Simply use any odds calculator and it will give you the percentages. What IS important, is that equity %'s, provide nothing more than an insight regarding overall chances. They DO NOT, under any circumstance, guarantee that a hand which has ex: a 78% chance of winning... will win for sure. Use them, include them in your analysis, but don't rely on them only, as a matter of strategy.