Pocket Aces - Aren't what the Use to Be

imredee

imredee

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sooooooooooooooooo..... you look down and there they are; AA as your starting hand. According to the odds you will win 80% of the time. Well, I'm here to say poket Aces owe me some wins! Sunday night I got beat 4 times holding pokcet AA; Flushes, 2 pair, trips, a straight and a full house over AAA.

The reason I'm witing this is to remind us all the AA is a good hand but it certainly CAN and WILL be beat, particularily these days when so many players stay in with Flush and straight draws.

Good luck at the tables.

:cool: :eek: :deal:

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Aces are exactly what they used to be.

4 losses with AA is such a small sample size.

Oh and being beaten by a flush, 2 pair, trips, straight, and boat = 5 losses, not 4.

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Please show me the HH where the full house won over your AAA (assume you mean trip aces). I don't believe you.

naruto_miu

naruto_miu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bud, go to my vent and you'll see the hits I took with my aces, and yet I still get a tingle inside when I pick them up. Straight up, AA will lose 20% of the time, and they will win 80% of the time, so that's good enough for me, I'm on a shitty run, lol.

N

newbie10107

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

I agree with zachvac not possible to be beat by a boat if your holding aa and hit one on the board. I also don't agree with your analysis of aces if your playing no limit then you should be able to get any decent players off of draws if your betting correctly. Sure they're gonna get beat but i'll take them every time.

G

Gavinski

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was going to say the exact same thing. I was trying to think of a way in which you can lose with AAA (2 of the A's being in your hole cards) to a full house and it simply is not possible.

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why don't you believe him?

Because if there is a full house the board is paired, if you have trip aces (with AA in your hand) on a paired board you have aces full, the best possible full house.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
He didn't say he had trip Aces, just AAA.

So...it could be AA vs A2246 board and he is lying. Or it could simply be AX on a AA265 board and opponent is holding 55.

...that said, HH would be nice.

naruto_miu

naruto_miu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Or it could be what happens to Kid Poker all the time on Highstakes poker, where he flops a full, yet somehow loses to quads.

Though, that's a rare rare thing, well except to him he's like losing to quads, like no tomorrow.

RichKo

RichKo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He didn't say he had trip Aces, just AAA.

So...it could be AA vs A2246 board and he is lying. Or it could simply be AX on a AA265 board and opponent is holding 55.

...that said, HH would be nice.

But the OP's whole problem is with pocket aces as the title says, so w/pocket aces it is impossible. If it's just Ax...doesnt fit in his argument

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sooooooooooooooooo..... you look down and there they are; AA as your starting hand. According to the odds you will win 80% of the time. Well, I'm here to say poket Aces owe me some wins! Sunday night I got beat 4 times holding pokcet AA; Flushes, 2 pair, trips, a straight and a full house over AAA.

The reason I'm witing this is to remind us all the AA is a good hand but it certainly CAN and WILL be beat, particularily these days when so many players stay in with Flush and straight draws.

Good luck at the tables.

:cool: :eek: :deal:
I don't know where you get 80% of the time you'll win with AA, according to my stats with over 12k hands, it's more like 85%:)

D

dannyboy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
pocket rockets dont always gurantee a win, if the game was played before the flop yeh youd win 100 percent of the time. but the game is played all the way to the river which it should be.

imredee

imredee

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AA Revisited

I didn't know that so may people would actually read and respond. One observe who noted 5 beats not 4 is correct. The hand where is was beaten by a full house I was holding AQ suited not AA. I stand corrected.

:deal:

Steelehustlen

Steelehustlen

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
YEAH I HATE ACES TOO I LOSE WITH THEM MORE THEN I WIN WTF 80% MORE LIKE 50 50 WITH THEM LMAO I PLAY THEM BUT WHEN I PUSH I'LL PRAY THAT NO ONE CALLS LMAO!!!!!!!!!!

RichKo

RichKo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
pocket rockets dont always gurantee a win, if the game was played before the flop yeh youd win 100 percent of the time. but the game is played all the way to the river which it should be.

uuuuhhhhhh no.

T

thetrimguy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
pocket A's are just as bad as any other PP beause they limit you hands as to the possibilities of the diiferent hands you can create and they ar only good against one player if more than one callks you can be farely sure you will lose

imredee

imredee

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AA Ain't What it Use to Be - You Really have to Play Them

Sooooooooooooooooo..... You look down and there they are; AA as your starting hand. According to the odds you will win with AA 80% to 90% of the time. Well, I'm here to say pocket Aces owe me some wins! Last week I got beat 5 times holding pocket AA to; a Flush, 2 pair, trips, a straight and a full house.

I could and should have avoided some of these beats. The reason I'm writing this is to remind us all that while AA is a great hand you still have to play it correctly. It certainly CAN and WILL be beaten from time to time, particularly these days when so many players staying in with Flush and straight draws. AA is hard to lay down, but a great lay down that keep you from the rail is far better than winning a few hundred chips if it helps you get to a final table!

LOL to All!

A

aznman08

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
obiviously if you just flat call or raise the minimum, this is more likely to happen since you let in more players to outdraw your A-A

I

Im_depressed

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I love playing AA whether I lose or win with them. Because I usually feel better about myself afterwards either way...

1. I win a huge pot by playing it perfectly
2. I accept I lost a pot unluckily because I know I truly didn't make a bad play.
3. Made bad play and learn from mistakes.

D

deumsac

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I find myself wanting to get mad at myself for playing a hand badly after I misread after slow-playing AA or calling a raise that I thought was a bluff. I try to isolate as much as possible, so I have a comfort level to an extent.

freerolls:
Sometimes, on a table full of donks in the early stages of a freeroll, I'll get 3 to 4 callers all-in, and I frequently lose. Otherwise, I usually end up not getting any callers in mid to late stages of freerolls. That is, if I go all in.

My problem is when I am in the mid stages, and there are three or more all-ins in front of me, and I would have to go all-in to call. It's less than a coin-flip, and I read about trying to avoid coin-flops at opportune times...

So, my question is if I want to stay alive with a mid-sized stack, do I call and go all-in with 3 or more all-ins in front of me? I have AA, but there is probably less than a 50% chance of winning the hand? Do I go with equity and know that I will win more than 25% (say 4 players including myself) of the time? That is still a coin flip?

A

AUPhoenix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing AA

I think the key to playing AA is the stage of the tournament you are at when you draw them. With 3 to 4 all-ins ahead of you "early" in a freeroll or small buy-in tourney you have to consider laying it down because the odds say someone will hit a set or a flush. Now as the "ITM" point approaches I think you have to push especially if you have more chips than your "all-in" players ahead of you. Someone once said you have to being playing to get in the money and have a chance to win the tourney later on. You have to decide if it is important enough to you to get in the money and have that chance to win or just see what the outcome will be of a coin flip.:)

imredee

imredee

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AA Part II

I am glad to see this post simulating some great thought and conversations. I was just in a tournament and had AA in 1st (early) position. I made a minium raise hoping to get some takers. Only two stayed in the hand. Out came the flop and now have QUADS with straight and flush draws possible. I check and both players check until the river. I make the minimum bet and get one fold and one all in. Increase my chips by 150%.................YES!!

!:deal:

I look forward to hearing more from the community on the subject.