Plz let me limp in ?

R

redrookh8

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello everyone! I have red again and again that you shouldn't limp in, but when would it be ok?
Take the following situation for example
You are middle/late position in a very passive table. Couple people limp in and you re pretty sure you can see a flop if you limp in.
Would you limp in with baby pairs?
How about low suited connectors(8-7 or lower) ?
Or A-7s to A-2s?

Every opening chart says that i should fold those but my gut feeling is to limp in . I'll just pay a BB to see the flop and if i catch a draw or a set i can make enough money to pay for all the times i wasted a BB
What is your opinion? Can you describe a situation where you would limp in in an unraised pot?

vinnie

vinnie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Generally, the advice is to not "open limp." Which means you shouldn't limp first in. And, if there is a single limper (or two) in front of you, it is frequently better to raise those people. You can isolate the bad players and can get position when people fold behind you.

I don't hate limping behind in specific situations. Generally, I want the button or, if not, a hand that doesn't suffer too much when it doesn't have position. Implied odds hands and hands with strong "nut" potential are better than hands like KJo (which plays well in position, with initiative, against one person). Still, in many spots, I prefer a raise. I'll even make a small raise after a couple limpers, not to get them out but to clear the blinds and juice the pot (which I hope to steal at least some of the time).

When you limp the button with a suited Ace, your implied odds are not nearly as high as you think. It's pretty obvious, when a flush is possible and the button limped and suddenly shows interest in the pot. And, people fold a bit easier because the pot is small. You're unlikely to win as big a pot as you think.

Limping is not good poker, because you are taking away the advantage of being the aggressor. And, you can't make people fold better hands by calling. It's not good, and you shouldn't get into the habit of it. There are times when it's not a horrible play, but don't spend time looking for those spots. Spend time looking for spots to raise and keep all the advantages you can get. If you folded every hand you intended to limp, your winrate would hardly suffer at all (and would probably actually improve).

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Open limping in early positions especially with many many bbs >30bb is an alarm for me of a weak opponent - most of the times.

Limp behind with a speculative hand, something like AXs , KXs small pocket pairs or suited connectors may give you some nice big pots.But yes there are times where you should raise in order to eliminate from the flop some players behind and narrow down your opponents post flop. Don't be the norm for you to limp behind, it is not a good play style especially in super passive tables. Limping over and over again will burn you valuable bbs.
You can also flat behind with the above starting hands versus a loose opener in later positions and if the villains in the blinds are not so aggressive in order to squeeze behind.

Lately I have seen some open limps in the late position(CO , BTN) with a stack depth of around 20bbs in MTT because:
-Open raising with that stack you can't go post flop and call a 3bet , so if you open raise a lot in those late positions they can jam on you a wide range and you can only call with a good hand.
-Because of the above you can see a flop with a wider range in position so this might be the only time we can have an OL move?!?!

D

Delfino

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello everyone! I have red again and again that you shouldn't limp in, but when would it be ok?

Some authors like Gordon say never to limp first to the pot, but many great players do it. It's a matter of style.

You are middle/late position in a very passive table. Couple people limp in and you re pretty sure you can see a flop if you limp in.
Would you limp in with baby pairs?
How about low suited connectors(8-7 or lower) ?
Or A-7s to A-2s?
Depends on stack sizes. With deep stack I would limp with as many cards as possible to see the flop cheaply. Suited (even not suited) connectors, low aces, all pairs.

But you have to be able to let go the hand if you don't hit great. In family pots with many passive players probably someone already has two pairs. So if I don't hit set, trips with the ace, at least two pairs with connector or a primary draw I'm done with the hand. If you for example hit Ace with low kicker, just throw the hand away to any action.

Vilgeoforc

Vilgeoforc

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is a possible game, but there are 3 conditions:
1. You must have at least 2 limpers in front of you.
2. Opponents behind you shouldn't raise too often.
3. Limp only with hands that are not a pity to throw away for aggression. These are A2s-A9s, 43s -109s, 22-55.
But compliance with all 3 conditions is almost unrealistic.

G

Germanets

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What about limping(calling limp) in middle position after 2-3 limpers in start of tournament, when everybody has big stacks(> 50BB)?
In most cases,if i raise 2-3BB in this situation I will be called by 80% of limpers and it will be just increasing bank for me, and this is not I really want with really good hand.
Should I call limp in this case? or I should fold and don't see flop at all?

D

Delfino

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you have limping hand (small pocker pair, connector, low ace) just limp. If you have premium hand you have to raise more. Always judge by the size of the pot. If there are 3 limpers before you, pot already has 4,5BB, so raise by 4-5BB instead. You goal is to limit the competition and play against those who already limped or against blinds - because you have position.