Plus and negative ev

J

Jd179

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi all

Been trying to get my head around playing plus ev poker but I don’t get it I know if your getting 10-1 on a flush draw call and stuff like that but you hardly ever get them type of odds so could someone please give me some plus and negative ev situations please

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are way too many situations to list. I would recommend using the odds calculator on this site. You can input and see what your odds of winning are for whatever you want to input.

There is also an outs chart listed at the bottom of the page that tells you the percentages of hitting your card dependent on the number of possible winning cards you can hit.

By using those you can see if based on what you are required to put into the pot, if you are making a call (or fold) that is + or - EV.

J

Jd179

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you il give it a look on my next study day

G

GangBlader

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Read the chapters pot odds, Effective Odds and Implied Odds in the book 'The Theory of Poker' of Sklansky.

You can find this book online with a simple search, it offers great explanation and also a lot of good practical examples.

G

Gabe16

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There’s more to ev than odds.

Using the scenario of a naked fd on the turn. We have 9 clean outs. Our equity is 20%.

The pots 3bb

V bets 2bb

Our pot odds are 2.5-1 (28%)

So we don’t have a +ev call. But we likely still shouldn’t fold, implied odds can now come into it.

We have to win 3bb more from the hand to break even on the call. So if when we hit we can win 3.5bb more from a pot that will be 7bb then we have a +ev call on average.

It’s one example from that spot where pot odds don’t tell the whole story.